Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Since I have working with dangerous contagious material for work, when the coronavirus becam a potential in my community, I start to wipe everything down before bringing it into my car or house. I found this vide and thought he did a good job.

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
I open packages outside, Lysol the plastic covering the contents. Leave it in the sun (90 degrees here) and wash my hands once I’m inside.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Mfmst - so you're keeping safe.

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am constantly applying hand lotion because my skin is very sensitive. I also carry my own hand wash because I cannot tolerate perfume or fragrance which is irritating. It’s important to keep the skin healthy and all this hand washing and sanitizer is irritating.

I hate coronavirus:devilish:

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I find surprising is we see “wash your hands” every where with instructions to sing happy birthday twice but no where does anybody say apply hand lotion if your hands are dry or irritated. Yet it’s important to maintain the integrity of our skin.

·
Super Moderator
3,006 Posts
... I found this video and thought he did a good job...
I never imagined that unpacking groceries would take the skill of a medical personnel prepping for surgery. It's mind-boggling. And he's right. His analogy of "Imagine your food containers are covered with glitter. Your goal is remove the glitter as safely as possible."

I would absolutely would have thought this was over the top and dismissed that level of cleaning had I not read this the other day: "How the Coronavirus Could Take Over Your Body (Before You Ever Feel It)". To date, it's the most terrifying description I have read about this demonic virus which says a lot since I've read maybe a thousand articles on it since January. Read that and it's clear what we're really, really dealing with, and it's like a cursed invasion of billions of hostile, microscopic, invisible aliens.

At around 11-1/2 minutes he says the virus can live in our freezers for up to two years!!! Note to self: sanitize frozen food cartons before placing in freezer.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Anything other than fresh is being quarantined in a corner for a minimum of 72 hours. Anything fresh is being treated like raw meat - hands washed thoroughly before and after handling. Cloths lives in a tub of Milton solution, replaced every day, and is used to wipe down kitchen etc regularly. I wash my hands immediately on coming back into the house from dog walking etc, although mostly I am not touching anything outside beyond the limits of my own house and garden.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Thanks for sharing Skylar. Good video.
And yes, the hand washing is killing me. I have a latex allergy and a chronic dermatitis on my hands, it is flaring up terribly now. I’m using prescription strength cortisone cream and it’s not touching it. Attached a pic to share my misery, lol. hope it’s not too graphic for anyone.

Attachments

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
454 Posts
And yes, the hand washing is killing me. I have a latex allergy and a chronic dermatitis on my hands, it is flaring up terribly now. I’m using prescription strength cortisone cream and it’s not touching it. Attached a pic to share my misery, lol. hope it’s not too graphic for anyone.
ouch

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to admit to being self conscious with my car parked close to Costco‘s entrance almost everyone coming in and leaving the store saw my husband and I going through our procedure. No one stopped to ask what we were doing and we quickly focused on it and I forgot about what people around me might think. I do have OCD, but right now I think it’s just foolish not to be safe if you’re more at risk for side effects, even death with coronavirus.

my hands can easily look like yours if I’m not careful and the skin breaks down and cracks and bleeds.

I used to work with someone with a serious latex allergy and I worked in a hospital during the time when latex allergies became a serious problem for patients. Almost all products used in the hospital that could be switched to something other than latex was changed.

Gloves used to be latex with powder in them to make them easy to manufacture and easy to put on. They realized both the powder and latex particles from the gloves were in the air and could cause people with latex allergies to have asthma attacks or worse. The powder in gloves was discontinued and finally outlawed a few years ago. Hospitals switched to nitrile gloves. If you can find nitrile gloves to wear you can protect your hands safely. I wear nitrile gloves when using any chemical around the house to protect my hands.

Reactions: Mfmst and Carolinek

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I never thought about sanitizing the food packages, At least I was pretty stocked up before it became so prevalent in this area. Now I don't even want to go shopping but I will cause I like food.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Skylar, I’ve been avoiding latex for a long time, and wearing nitrile gloves. Even though there’s still latex in some products in the environment, what’s really exacerbating now it is the constant hand washing, and using the waterless hand cleaners, whose main ingredient is alcohol. I’ve been treating it all along. What I need to do is avoid situations where I have to wash my hands with triclosan (anti- bacterial) products or the waterless hand cleaners. Hard to do now. With this issue, I don’t think I can ever go back to clinical practice.

But...this is a very small problem, which pales in comparison to the big picture. How fortunate I am to be able to whine about something so minor!

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mufar, I’m compulsively sanitizing every thing that comes into my car or house. That’s a line that I’ve drawn between safe and potentially dangerous and I’m conscious of it every time I go outside.

Carolinek, I agree with you and the alcohol based sanitizer, triclosan products and also anything with perfume or scents fragrance. So many products have irritating ingredients that don’t bother most people. It’s so annoying that I have to carry my own hand detergent because I rarely find one in a bathroom that I can tolerate. I’m using Free and Clear liquid cleanser.

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I’ll have to try Free and Clear, right now I use a soap I get at the food coop. I think it just a function of the number of times I’m was hung. I used to carry my own soap in the hospital when I did patient care- I was allowed to because of this condition.Probably need to get back in that habit, even if it’s just for the grocery store.

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You probably remember learning how to scrub for the OR.... I remember being so excited when I came to that rotation until I had to start scrubbing with harsh detergent and a brush. OMG my poor hands, working in the OR was not for my hands.

Reactions: Carolinek

·
Super Moderator
3,006 Posts
I never thought about sanitizing the food packages, At least I was pretty stocked up before it became so prevalent in this area. Now I don't even want to go shopping but I will cause I like food.
#ILikeFoodToo
😅😅😅

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
I sent Skylar’s link to my nearest and dearest. DH, bless his heart, was wiping everything out outside. He may not be the best shopper - I feel like a contestant on “Chopped” with his selections, but he wipes everything down before he brings it inside.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts