Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you may know, I've had some HORRIBLE experiences with grooming Snoops. Tomorrow I am taking him in for a wee little trim and maintenance, and I want to avoid the catastrophe that we had experienced a few months back.

Right now, I am LOVING Snoops' do... he is the perfect length of fuzzy and it is so adorable. Unfortunately it is extremely hot and I think he deserves a trim to help keep him cool. How do I explain that I just want a 1/4 inch of hair trimmed all around his body - basically, when I run my fingers thru his hair that's what I want trimmed off (the bit that pokes thru my fingers), including legs, paws kept fluffy, face trimmed around eyes and nose, but hair on head kept at current fluffy length, sanitary trim and belly trimmed/shaved around his pee pee. What blade would I explain to use? Can I explain it just as I have here, and a groomer would get it? Or should I include extra info?

Thanks groomers for your advice! I hope all goes well tomorrow... we are trying out a new place called Lucky Dog Grooming in Austin since we are here for a visit. :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think you should ask for him to be groomed like a Bichon. I think the best thing is to take in actual pictures of what you want him to look like.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
You can either ask for him to be hand sissorsed, or for them to use either a 3/4th inch or 1/2 inch black guard comb on a #40 (they're actually longer than said length) then for him to be contoured hand sissored.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You know I don't groom, but I think a groomer would understand what you meant by your description. The ultimate would be if you had a picture of Snoops just the way you like him. I know with all of the grooming issues, you might not have one. Do you have one from his first trim you liked, but the groomers cut him?

I would be detailed about the face, whether you want it to look like a bichon or not. Specify the length of the ears and if you want them blended with the face. Do you want him to have a mustache or keep the hair on the nose all one length?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Just explane it just as you did here maybe even wright in down and leave your instructions with him.
I agree, a "1/4 inch off all over, fluffy face and no poodle feet" seems pretty clear to me. I would write it down too. Sometimes it takes a couple trips to get exactly what you want.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It seems to me that 1/4 inch off all over won't make a difference in how hot he is...but yep, your description sounds clear to me, except I'm not sure what you mean about trimming his nose...do you mean the corners of his eyes?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts