Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just bought a high velocity dryer in the hopes that I can prevent those pin knots that are now showing up in my fur factory Rudy. It was a fiasco! It was the only time that he has ever snapped at me so I went back to the hand held blow dryer I had been using which takes longer and doesn't have the force to blow him properly.
What are your suggestions on getting him used to being dried with the high velocity dryer? Should I move the unit further away so the noise is abated? Treats?
Open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Practice when he’s already dry so there’s not the pressure to get him dry! Take the concentrator nozzle off and turn the velocity down all the way at first. Make sure you’re far enough away that the hair is blowing away in a flat circle (no tangles that way!). Maybe try blowing “around” the dog, then treat. Then, try blowing the dog but far away from his head. Don’t expect to get him all the way dry with the HV at first, and just do short sessions mixed in with your current routine. Time and patience, but it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
598 Posts
yep I just switched Louie from a regular one to a High velocity one and as much as he is chill about most things grooming he did not (and still does not) love it. I love it thought because drying time is down to nothing and I get that velvety look that I like so much. I took all the nozzles off and run it at half speed only - it is still pretty loud but maybe you could add an extension and have it in another room. I am waiting for it to be warm enough that we could do the drying on the patio - should be less loud that way. So if you can do it outdoors it would be good.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Sit near the dryer with some really exceptional treats. Turn the dryer on without aiming it at your baby. Maybe put some cotton in his ears to dampen the sound. Give a yummy treat, some happy hugs and rubs....make sure you are calm, happy and have a relaxed face and demeanor. Turn the dryer off and add another treat and a happy face. Repeat a couple more times and from a diatance gently blow a little air from the dryer....no nozzels on the dryer so it is a more gentle flow.

Repeat this a time or two each day and slowly increase the amount of time with the dryer blowing at your baby.

Poppy was acclimated to the dryer by her breeder and her exceptional groomer, however when I finally got one I still did a little work relaxing Poppy using treats.

When drying her topknot I put one hand completely over her eyes to shield them and put the hose aimed sort of at her front of her topknot blowing the air towards the back of her head. I would hate it if someone blew a forceful dryer directly in my face. I imagine a dog would too.

When drying her ears I put one hand under the ear, holding the ear loosely in my hand while covering the ear opening with the back of my hand so that I don't accidentally blow the dryer right in to the ear, which could be painful, scary and damaging. Again, I make sure I do not aim the dryer towards the face, but rather towards the back of the skull and neck.

I sometimes dry the neck and back of the dog a little, then go to the topknot or ears a little and alternate back and forth away from the head, giving a nervous dog a little rest from all the dryer action at the head and ears. Her head and ears eventually get dry, but just not overwhelming her all at once.

No one taught me to do any of this but I thought it just seemed like common sense and works well for us. Poppy was ok with the dryer when I got it, but I think a little uncertain about Mom being the one using it. She is quite happy for me to use it and seems to even get a little bored with it.

High value treats, teeny tiny little bits of deli roast chicken or thinly sliced ham are difficult for any dog to refuse. Always begin and end with a treat and a happy voice. Do not forget to remove cotton from the ears if you used it.

I also use a cordless dremel to do Poppy's nails rather than clipping them which she does not like. I put an old sheet or towel on the couch and lay her there while I sit next to her on a stool. She has a little foot massage then I turn on the dremel to do the nails. At first she would pull back some and resist, but yummy treats once again worked. A little dremeling on each nail and call it a day....repeat in 4 days and do again every 4 days or as needed until nails are short. Poppy now sleeps while I do her nails. I gather up the sheet or towel, shake off the nail dust outside and pop it in the wash. It takes a little time to get them used to it, but it is worth it. Put a scarf or bandanna over the ears to keep them out of the whirling dremel if your pup gets too curious about the tool. Poppy used to try sticking her nose on the whirling thing and I worried about catching her ears in it.

Best of luck...go calmly and slowly and with many yummy treats and you will get there!

Cathy and Poppy

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Practice when he’s already dry so there’s not the pressure to get him dry! Take the concentrator nozzle off and turn the velocity down all the way at first. Make sure you’re far enough away that the hair is blowing away in a flat circle (no tangles that way!). Maybe try blowing “around” the dog, then treat. Then, try blowing the dog but far away from his head. Don’t expect to get him all the way dry with the HV at first, and just do short sessions mixed in with your current routine. Time and patience, but it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

You have made very good suggestions !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts