Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with my Mom and of course we had a nice long chat about Buddy. For those of you who don't remember, Buddy is my family's 9 year old cream standard poodle. He's my baby but lives with my parents in Georgia. I'm in New England but moving home in July (52 days). Anyway, I always ask how he's doing and get the full update and report. Talking to my Mom tonight, and listening to her talk to the dog...well it made me think about how gaga we go over our dogs.

My Mom is a self proclaimed non dog lover. She's not a dog hater, she just doesn't care for them. When I was a junior in high school we started researching standard poodles (because of my allergies). My Mom set up an appointment with a breeder, "just to meet her dogs, don't get any ideas kids, we're not bringing a dog home today!" Well we got to her house, met one of the Mamas and met a little brown boy who was already spoken for. Then the breeder brought out this adorable little cream puff. "Oh by the way, he's not spoken for." He was shy and scared and refused to come out from under the coffee table...I know, I know, not good. Well my Mom took one look at him and said "how much?" We put down half, went home, bought supplies, and picked him the next day.

Now my Mom, the same one who fell for Buddy so quickly, the same self proclaimed non dog lover, calls herself "Nana" (because I'm his Mom so she must be grandma). According to my Mom, Nana is Buddy's favorite person. She has special songs for him (i.e. "Kennel time is happy time" "Buddy [insert our last name here] is the boy I love"). Buddy goes everywhere in the car with her (when she doesn't have to get out and run tons of errands). She has multiple nicknames for him, including Booboo, Budinsky, and Poodle Butt.

Which leads me to tonight...as we're talking about him she said "oh there he is..Buddy come here, come talk to your Mommy. Ok Meg, go, the phone's next to his ear." Then I proceed to coo and talk to him over the phone. It's ridiculous! She said his tail wags a little when he hears my voice but he's never been a huge fan of the phone. He much prefers to video chat, he goes nuts when we do that!

So tell me some silly, nutty things you do, that are completely out of character...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Oh wow what a great story! Buddy sounds like Mister, who is also a cream Spoo. I think any Spoo will and can steal someone heart, even if they arent dog people or poodle people. Ive heard many people say they dont like poodles but love Mister! Most people dont know how goofy they are and how clown like they are! Mister is a big dork most of the time but thats why i love him so much.
I cant think of any silly things off the top of my head but im sure there are many. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your lovely story and how Buddy enjoys the video chat over the phone convos ha ha ha, tht cracked me up because i can picture it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! He really is adorable when we video chat. I'm not sure if he can actually see me on the screen or if he can just hear my voice better than on the phone but he goes crazy with the head tilts, like he's trying to figure out where I am. So cute!

Mister is just beautiful. Buddy's also turned non poodle people into poodle people. They really are goofs!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Aww! Such a cute story! :) My dogs also think that I am their mom, and we call my parents mom-mom and pop-pop! LOL! "Go to Mom-Mom Cricket!" and off she goes to my mom! Cricket sleeps on the floor beside my bed, and when she hears me stirring in the morning she sticks her little wet nose under the covers and gives me morning kisses! I love that! It's also super endearing the way she is with the kids...she acts like their mommy or big sister. The other day my 2 year old was overtired and was walking around crying for no reason really. He had tears coming down his cheeks and, and Cricket was very concerned. She came up to him and starting licking the tears off his face! It was so sweet!! (and he stopped crying!) Every night when I go up to bed, she follows me upstairs, and while I am getting ready for bed, she goes down the hall and goes into each of the kids rooms, almost like she is checking on them. They really do steal your heart completely!! I just LOVE my dogs!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
My dh was a confirmed dog loather (his parents raised byb lhasas that bit him & his brother in the face constantly as infants). (I met him when I had one older dog who has since passed, but they never bonded.) I got Pearl after a two-year separation (I wouldn't get a new dog while he was here hating their presence). But we have moved back together.

Now, Alfie is getting passed in front of the webcam for his 'grandma' (who thanked me for getting over his dog phobia, lol). My dh has gone from 0 to 10, and enjoys the dog park, spoils his pup, it's a hoot. Spoos- he was never worried about them emasculating him, they are obviously dawgs, not frou-frou purse dogs- have turned him around 180'.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Mine "go to school" and get to wear "school clothes and play clothes". They go to the park to find some new friends. I let them watch U-tube videos of dogs and they like America's Funniest Videos with dogs, cats and SQUIRRELS.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pearl is embarassed to be 'nude' after she gets up- 1st thing when I wake up, her 'collie' goes back on. She is proud. (I know the 'fire in the house' argument for leaving their collars on, but it will take me 5 seconds to put them out a window into the fenced yard-I take the calculated risk. She's chipped. The as yet unchipped dogs keep their collies on until I get it done).

·
Registered
25 Posts
You wouldn't imagine what goes on at PCA! I didn't take my Sunny with me when I went this year, but everyone there treats their poodles like their beloved children. I felt so a home there! During the Agility and Obedience trials the standards particularly, sat next to their moms or dads on the chairs. Mom or Dad would point out something going on in the ring and chat away and the spoo would watch and pay attention. There was lots of cooing and kisses from poodle to parent too. It was oh so cute!

~Haley

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My mom was also not a dog person and really just tolerated having a dog or dogs for me and my dad. However, after our little old girl passed away, it was my mom that suggested going to see Mitch, probably knowing full well I would fall in love with the monster.
My mom really loves the boys, and is really good at reading their emotions. Matrix gets really mopey when I go away, so she'll put him on the phone so he can hear my voice. I think it's pretty silly, but my mom gets a kick out of it :p

This weekend at my friend's cottage, everyone just fell in love with Mitch. They couldn't believe that my poodle was not a froo-froo dog. My friend's mom was up for a day, and she just raved and raved about how much she loved Mitch. He definitely stole quite a few hearts this weekend, but he's MINE!!

Matrix is such a caring soul. I love how intuitive he is...he's just a total mush ball. Since he wasn't supposed to be a permanent member of the household, I tried my best to not get too attached, but that lasted all of about one second. I'll never forget when he came out from the puppy room, and was getting blow dried on the table. His little eyes were as wide as saucers! He cried and whimpered the entirety of the 2 hour drive home with his head wedged behind my back. I love love love him.

Mitch took some time to steal my heart, but I have fallen so hard for this boy. Since Mitch came into our household, I have become recommitted to my dogs. Matrix was so easy to train, all he wanted to do was please us, and he too is so easy to please, I never had to work very hard to make Matrix happy. Mitch is kind of the opposite. He needed a LOT of work on boundaries, I needed to break a bunch of bad habits, and he's STUBBORN. I think all the work I had to put in to him built this extremely strong bond between Mitch and I, and I can't imagine my life without him. He's such a special boy. He really healed our household after our old dog passed away....

whoops, this turned into a horribly written essay...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts