Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a scale of one to ten, how spoiled is your poodle? Why did you choose this?
My girls are probably around ten... with their own playroom including a teepee and homemade doggo chow. What about you?

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I think maybe a 7. My husband let Pogo and Snarky start sleeping in bed one time when I was away, and I never got them back out of the bed.:rolleyes: After that Pogo decided he wanted his own bed and took over a guest bedroom. It's pretty funny when we don't have guests: the coverlet has half a dozen stuffed animals and muddy footprints on it.

I'm taking some points off because I think the boys miss some thing that are important to dogs. Pogo gets no off leash walks any more. His recall isn't reliable enough for populated areas, and my poison ivy allergies are too severe to let him run loose in the woods.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha! I won´t let my girls into the guest bedroom then, they are spoiled enough as it is. :)

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Very spoiled. But okay by me. He knows his job and takes work very seriously. Roast chicken - you betcha.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't necessarily think that my Sammy is spoilt. He has "stuff" - tons of toys, that he is only interested in if I play with him. He does get an extreme amount of attention. My young adult son and I work our schedules around Sammy, so he is never alone for more than 2 hours. He is loved, catered to and respected every minute of his life. He gives all that back.

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Maybe.....8?

I feel like a lot of people might think Peggy's spoiled because we put in so much time and effort to ensure her doggy needs are met within the confines of our chosen lifestyle.
  • She has a weekly class to go to and a weekly play date, both of which aren't always convenient.
  • We are home most days, and she goes with us most places. The one time we went away overnight, we hired an in-home sitter (after interviewing many).
  • We've got a fenced yard, which she doesn't just get "put" in; we spend a lot of time playing and engaging with her out there.
  • She has lots of toys, which are both safe and also quite exciting to her (including a small children's swimming pool).
  • We take her on gentle walks and hikes that are often tailored to her needs rather than our wants.
Etc.

So it's not that she's spoiled with a ton of fancy things (which really, let's be honest, are often more for us humans than for our dogs). And I don't think of her as our "baby," even though we don't have kids.

But I think we prioritize her well-being more than some folks might perceive as necessary. It's just how I was raised to treat the animals we bring into our lives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts