Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a silly question, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I routinely do Jessie's face and feet with a #30 blade, no issues with skin irritation. Working on her pony cut now, most of her body is trimmed with my smallest attachment to my Wahl Arco adjustible trimmer (#1, 3mm). But I think she'd look awesome with really short body hair since it would make her pony cut stand out even more as it grows in.

What would you recommend as the shortest body hair length? #9, #10, #15, #30? I live in FL so getting cold isn't much of an issue, but I did buy her a little jacket for these nice winter days when I can open the windows and our house dares to get below 70F, LOL. Sunburn could be an issue in the summer, although we don't go outside during the hottest parts of the day, so not really.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Horses do have fur and some horses are quite furry.

I use a #10 on the body sometimes and I think that should be short enough to show contrast but still offer some sun protection. # 7 might give more sun protection.

Reactions: Zesti_V

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have used a #10 blade for a full body cut on Evie and did not find that there was any irritation or sunburn issues.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I do medical grooms at work (ie on sedated pets that are generally too matted for a groomer). I prefer to use a 7F but I often use a 10. That doesn't usually cause any irritation but it's definitely short enough that the skin is visible.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I use a 7 on the body for the summertime - I use a 5 wintertime. And a 10 for sanitary area and the face. I have a toe blade for the feet.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yikes! The only silliness I can see here is the mention of a coat if it is under 70! I almost choked trying not to laugh.

I am with Asta who says "I use a 7 on the body for the summertime - I use a 5 wintertime. And a 10 for sanitary area and the face. I have a toe blade for the feet. "

And we live in Marquette, MI where the weather is like Alaska! We have sled-dog races. My Spoo hates the heat (over 65), and runs around in the snow up here in the winter clipped to a 5 when it is 0 - 20 degrees! The only time he objects is when it is that horrible ice/bitter cold on the ground where snow/ice balls form between his pads.

At 70 degrees he would be panting, laying on the coolest cement/tile floor he could find.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only silliness I can see here is the mention of a coat if it is under 70! I almost choked trying not to laugh.
My Spoo hates the heat (over 65), and runs around in the snow up here in the winter clipped to a 5 when it is 0 - 20 degrees! At 70 degrees he would be panting, laying on the coolest cement/tile floor he could find.
I know, right? Spoiled Florida pets! It seems different for Jessie if she's outside- she prefers the weather when it is cooler and has no trouble with getting cold on walks. But sitting around the house if it's below 70 inside, both she and one of my cats pile on top of me and want to be covered with something warm. Hence the jacket :LOL:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts