Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've noticed at night or in the morning if Hugo hears a noise that is unsettling to him he will bark and jump onto the bed and stand over top of me and continue to bark while looking at the door. Until I tell him it's okay, and that it's DH. He will then lay down next to me and has to have his body touching mine.

It usually happens as my DH gets up an hour before me, while Hugo and I continue to sleep. Sometimes DH will drop something downstairs or the garage door will slam and Hugo will begin to 'protect' me

I wonder how protective other poodles are? :)

Sent from my WAS-LX3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Lily started doing watch dog behaviors when she was about nine weeks old and still does. Javelin is the same. So is Peeves. In other words whenever a package is brought to the front door the alarm system (x3) goes off. I don't really mind since they do quiet down once they figure out we aren't being invaded.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Milo had a run in with a large aggressive dog this summer, his response was definitely flight. We were walking recently and a large big dog was lunging at us, it was tied to a line but it made me jumped and his response was again to run away. So I don think he is protective over me..lol maybe it’s the size of the dog, who knows. Strangely enough when the doorbell rings, he barks once or twice. If my kids get the door, he will sit next to me to see who is it. If I get the door, he comes to the door with me. I don’t think it’s him being protective, just maybe Velcro dog? ?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
A couple of years ago, I was sleeping downstairs in a small sunroom off of my living room. (We were sleeping there because my old spoo Bob could no longer go upstairs.) A sliding glass door to the patio was open a little bit to let air in. Next to the patio is a solid wood fence with a driveway on the other side of the fence. The driveway is shared by my next door neighbor and me and it leads to our two garages in the back, theirs on the left, mine on the right.

All of a sudden in the middle of the night, Sam started barking ferociously at the sliding glass door, in the direction of the driveway. I don't think I have ever heard him bark so loudly and so insistently. I let him out and he went flying to the gate that goes to the driveway and continued barking. Then he quieted down after a few minutes. The next day, I told my neighbor about how Sam had sounded the alarm in the middle of the night. She later discovered that a bicycle had been stolen from her garage. So Sam knew what was happening long before we humans did!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Louie is still a wee six month old so I don't know yet - although at now barely 11 pounds I am not exactly holding my breath - even though he is a macho poodle. I was just reminiscing that although I despise aggressive dogs I always felt so protected with my Dalmatian because he was that rare combination of guts, brains and cuddle-hound who never met a stranger but would be too smart if your intentions were not wholesome. It's going to be 6 months he is gone in a week....

·
Registered
592 Posts
While I'm not sure if protective is the right word, yes my Standard Poodle will bark loudly and continuously at "intruders."

Sometimes if the threat appears minor or distant, I can calm and quiet him quickly. However, if the threat is serious (somebody walking onto our property), it can be harder to quiet him down.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Both of my dogs started the alarm bark at around 5 months old.

Recently, I had the chance to put Frosty's guarding skills to the test. I was driving about 45 min. away to train with a friend who has Frosty's niece. I was the victim of a road rage by a woman who got out of her car and approached me at a light. She had very aggressive body language and words and Frosty began growling and barking ferociously. I told him what a good boy he was! He is what made the crazy woman back off!

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Both of my dogs started the alarm bark at around 5 months old.

Recently, I had the chance to put Frosty's guarding skills to the test. I was driving about 45 min. away to train with a friend who has Frosty's niece. I was the victim of a road rage by a woman who got out of her car and approached me at a light. She had very aggressive body language and words and Frosty began growling and barking ferociously. I told him what a good boy he was! He is what made the crazy woman back off!
Wow, what a good boy !

Do you think Maizie would have done the same ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm not sure about Roland, he's only 10 months old and tends to have the flight thing if something bothers him, we're working on it and he's got a lot better. I know he doesn't like strangers in his house and tends to bark and back away unless I have him on a leash, which seems to calm him. Maybe if the issue was pushed, he would get more aggressive, but I don't see it.

Eustace, my mix, is questionable. While he is the most sociable dog with other dogs, every dog is his best friend, we were on a walk deep in the woods and suddenly he got tense and his hackles went up. I followed his line of sight and saw a coyote I would have never seen without him. The coyote pace us for quit awhile and the whole time Eustace glued himself to my side, something he never does on a walk and remained stiff and on guard. I knew I could relax when he did. He does tend to be wary around delivery or repair persons, sticking by my side and seems relaxed as long as I am. Fortunately I have never had to put him to the test as far as actually protecting me.

Two poodles ago, my beloved Monet, the dog of my heart, would protect me against all other dogs, believe me, another dog was not allowed to get near me, he was a smallish spoo and he took down a huge great dane that had the nerve to approach me, not much protection I know, but I think having a spoo with me kept most people away from me and we tracked many miles in back woods areas.

But the best protection I ever had was my beloved Miss Pops, some sort of chow/golden/collie county dog pound adoptee I carried home in one hand. Anyone could pet or play with her and she would act like your best friend, at least until you tried to touch me. And I mean the slightest touch, even with my husband who she adored. Touch me and suddenly you found a those friendly eyes suddenly narrow and she would give you a warning growl. I never pushed the issue, I always told who ever to back away from me or took Miss Pops to anther room, I didn't want to see what turned out to be 80 pounds of what looked like a giant Pomeranian would do. What I wouldn't give for another like her, sweet and gentle to everyone and everything, as long as you didn't touch me.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Noelle will cover me and guard me if she hears a weird noise outside at night. She growls, barks, and means business. She's only 20 pounds, so there's not much she could do in a real struggle. I got really alarmed one night when wee Francis and Noelle both guarded me from a strange noise outside. I have no idea what was happening, but both dogs stood over me growling and snarling.

Honey, my sweet service dog, had two times where she defended me from weirdos. She stepped in front of me, went to the end of the leash, and growled, snarled and barked ferociously. I said, "Leave me alone or I'll let go!" Both weirdos left in a hurry. Sometimes I miss having a dog big enough to look intimidating.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Renn will now bark when he hears a strange noise and will continue till I tell him its ok, its so n so.. I've had two people approach me and he barked and growled at them. One I told him no and it was ok but the person got scared and backed away, I put him in a sit and he calmed down. The other is a neighbor 40 some odd years old living with his elderly parents. He is not always stable and drinks, I think to compensate when he is off his meds...I never really have a conversation with him but he talks all the time and actually knows where everyone lives and what you are up too, so its a little concerning at times. He came at a run toward me and Renn stood his ground a barked and growled and did not hide behind me, which he otherwise would do. The guy said he is a puppy isn't he friendly, I said no he isn't a puppy anymore and isn't friendly toward people he doesn't know and I continued on. Renn looked back a few times but otherwise went back into his heel. I think that time he was being protective.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Dina, I think your dog was doing the #1 job all dogs have to some to degree - to protect their human. This is usually done by barking as a warning, perhaps followed by attacking an intruder.

Or so we'd like to think...

I’d seen this before and I love that it’s the little guys who take action protecting their owner. Size doesn’t make courage.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Our dogs ride in crates in the back of our SUV. If we make a stop during hot weather, I stay in the car with the air conditioner running or with the hatch raised. In the past year, Blue has begun growling if someone approaches the car. When we're walking, or if someone comes to the house, he happily greets friends and strangers alike, but he's clearly feeling protective of the car, at least if I'm in it.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
I'm not really sure where Babykins would draw the line. She's not a barker - she lets the rest of the neighborhood dogs bark for her.

There have been times people have rang the doorbell and she didn't bark - but she did run to the door - so that was an "alert". Other times she did make a woof or two when a package was left at the front door. Clearly she alerts to things happening in her environment, just not in a wildly exuberant manner - which I prefer since we're quiet people.

OTOH I've noticed with all three of my poodles - my childhood minipoo, the tpoo we had when the kids were growing up and my current minipoo - all three were peace keepers. They loved to step into the middle of a fight and break it up. Whether is was my brother or I, my two kids, or dog's at Babykin's play group - anywhere there is a little tiff, there's a poodle trying to separate everyone. None of these dogs ever got into a fight. They all seemed to be upset by the anger and perhaps chaos of fighting and want to return to normal settled behavior. Would this behavior translate into being protective is someone was really being harmed? I don't know.

Reactions: BrooklynBonnie

·
Registered
246 Posts
My boy is very protective when strangers are involved. He has been this way since he was a pup and is three now. Just yesterday I had a man tap on the huge glass window behind my desk at work (he goes to work with me every day) and he had the whole office running due to his ferocious barking, growling and lunging at the glass. He has also done this when someone has approached the car once when I had my window down. He has also growled and barked at clients once or twice who have just barged into my office without announcing themselves and each time this has been larger framed men this has occurred with. At home, he defends his house and yard with his scary stay away or else bark when someone approaches but is quick to change to friendly as soon as I show him they are friend not foe and he has a good sniff then he is good friends :) His biggest show of protection was outside at a coffee shop a few months ago with a friend of mine and a very unsavory fellow approached from a wooded area on the side obviously not a patron and sat down at a table near us. His growl was the most menacing I have ever heard and he put himself between the man and I and never once took his eyes off him until we left which we did within 5 min or so due to the situation. As a side note he goes virtually everywhere with me and is in public places full of other people and dogs all the time and is beyond well behaved so I fully believe dogs know good from bad and when my dog alerts me to a problem I pay attention. They are a fabulous judge of character in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts