Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
A poodle can be started clipping at 6 weeks.. the face, feet, tail.... and continued from then on. You can set up a time to get hm groomed anytime after you get him. Just make sure the groomer is used to working with pups that have not been groomed yet as they don't care for it at first and it should be done with patience and care so they become accustomed to it. If you don't know the groomers in your area, I would ask the one you choose for references from other customers they have, and also ask to see pics of poodles that they have groomed.

At this point, he will only need his face, feet, tail done, but as he gets a little older and his coat gets longer, you may want to have his coat trimmed back into some sort of puppy style for ease of care and for his own comfort if it is warm in your area.

Good luck!!! :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Most groomers understand the need of a Poodle to get groomed earlier then later. With that being said, they usually will set up a quick first time appointment (in and out) and make sure its very positive. As long as the puppy has had a few shots normally they will work with you. Rabies shot cannot be given until 6 months and thats just too long to wait.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My groomer went ahead and and did what they call a 'maintenance' on my 10-wk-old mini last week. He has had 2 sets of shots, but not the rabies yet-the groomer is always careful about looking at everyone's records and getting the vet's name of new customers-plus we have used her with all our dogs for many years-and little Paulie looked gorgeous when he came out-no body cut and wouldn't let her do the eyes that had some discoloring stain as he is cream-but he still looked great.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ours is just under 4 months and we couldn't wait any longer! It's so hot here and I didn't want to 'learn' on a new-to-grooming dog. She'd been done feet, face & tail by the breeder a month ago, but that's it. She was very scruffy. I was glad she'd been done before so it wasn't totally new.

Our groomer actually opted to take a very slow long time with her, giving her lots of breaks (and one rewash when she piddled and sat it in - ugh). It took 3 hours start-to-finish. She was very happy to see us, but they do the hardest things (ears and feet) first so that hopefully when she leaves she won't remember that part, just the treat on the way out.

They didn't ask proof of vax, just that she was 'current' according to our vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts