Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rio is just 5 months (on Monday) We still keep him gated off in the kitchen. Though he is really good at telling us when he needs to go, he still occasionally has a pee accident, most recently several days ago. It seems like right when I begin tho think of giving him another room to have access to, he'll have an accident. Also- when we do let him out of the kitchen, he'll go crazy trying to get into everything!

Is Rio far behind on this?? I"m feeling a little bad that he's been in the kitchen for so long. Granted we do have a HUGE kitchen, with our dining table in it (and our office nook), so he is not left alone much.

I was just curious at what ages did your pups begin to have access to the whole house?? When were they fully trusted with the potty issue??

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
My pup already sorta has access to the full house at 13 weeks.. though he's attached to me all the time via a leash and harness. Maybe Rio get excited and goes through everything because he's never had access to it and is curious what is it? You can't teach him boundaries if he's behind the gate all the time.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yeah ... I would definitely expect puppy at 5 months to signal HIMSELF when he needs to go out :rolffleyes:. Maybe you need to work on that part since if you look for his cues and take him out without him signaling - than he will not learn how to let you know when he needs "to go". It is same as with babies - if you take them on time to the potty every time - than you yourself are "potty-trained" ; ) and not the baby : ) !!!!

I think that he definitely was overexcited to visit other parts of the home. I would take him through the home at this age to get familiarized with it . First take him out and after he does "his business"- I would show him around. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea, maybe right after potty breaks I'll let him have an hour of downstairs roaming so he can get more used to it, then kitchen till next potty break?? I'm really just looking for the next step on the way to giving him full-access... I've had several people tell me he's not ready, to keep him in the kitchen until he has NO accidents, so I've been a little torn... THis is my first dog if you can't tell.

I am sure that he is excited in the other rooms since it is a special thing. Every night after the kiddo goes to sleep, Rio relaxes with my husband and I in the living room... by then though Rio himself is pretty tired and usually curls up on the couch with us or on his bed in there.... so he DOES get some time in other areas of the house... he also sleeps in our room with us... but in his crate.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Neither of my spoos ever signaled me that they needed to go out. No pacing or or going to the door or any of the usual things. It was frustrating. I made sure that they went out often and on a schedule. Especially at night after their evening meal. Billy was able to have full run of the house at 9-months without another accident. Taffy still needs to be crated at night at 13-months!! She is fine all day but, even though she goes out in the evening before bed, she will still have accidents at night both ways!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You know - there are some general guidelines ;), but every dog is different and has his own time line and different temperament and likes and dislikes - so you are absolutely on the right path ! :) You will try some new things - if they do not work - than other : ))) ! I am sure that both of you will do just fine since you are very involved in his training and do observations and follow through : ))) !

Do not forget to give him a lot of prize when he goes out - make a BIG deal about it LOL and also before you go out say a"name" for it - whatever you choose - "GO Potty ???" "Go OUT???" so he will learn to associate the question with actual act. The way Fluffy trains Vegas is just fabulous !!! (using bells) I lived in the apartment, so my spoo just could not be anywhere completely isolated and not in my "view" LOL He would go and sit by the door and stare at a door-knob to let us know he "needs to go" : ). He started doing it at about 10 weeks. By 5 months there were no "accidents" .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neither of my spoos ever signaled me that they needed to go out. No pacing or or going to the door or any of the usual things. It was frustrating. I made sure that they went out often and on a schedule. Especially at night after their evening meal. Billy was able to have full run of the house at 9-months without another accident. Taffy still needs to be crated at night at 13-months!! She is fine all day but, even though she goes out in the evening before bed, she will still have accidents at night both ways!!
Where did you keep them before you were comfortable letting them have full run?? Was in in one room, did you give them access to the house during certain times of the day?

·
Registered
440 Posts
yeah, I would say Ocsi was at least 9 months old
its not that he marked anything- his potty was just in consistent, who knows, maybe it was my fault but I remember it taking at least 6 months for me to teach him

Goldie on the other hand (my sister's poodle) very rarely ever peed in the house when she came to live with us at 3 months old- she was amazing!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know - there are some general guidelines ;), but every dog is different and has his own time line and different temperament and likes and dislikes - so you are absolutely on the right path ! :) You will try some new things - if they do not work - than other : ))) ! I am sure that both of you will do just fine since you are very involved in his training and do observations and follow through : ))) !

Do not forget to give him a lot of prize when he goes out - make a BIG deal about it LOL and also before you go out say a"name" for it - whatever you choose - "GO Potty ???" "Go OUT???" so he will learn to associate the question with actual act. The way Fluffy trains Vegas is just fabulous !!! (using bells) I lived in the apartment, so my spoo just could not be anywhere completely isolated and not in my "view" LOL He would go and sit by the door and stare at a door-knob to let us know he "needs to go" : ). He started doing it at about 10 weeks. By 5 months there were no "accidents" .
Thanks for the tips!! I say "go potty" every time he actually is going, I'm sure he knows what it means, as a few times he was sniffing around and not getting down to business, so I said, "go potty" and he did!

We have put bells on both of our doors, but since he is in the kitchen he can't actually ring them when he needs to go out, but he will USUALLY sit near the gate and wait (or sit next to the gate and BARK) I'm hoping that with us having him ring the bell before going out every time that by the time he as access to those rooms he will know he can ring the bell to get our attention for a potty break... It would be so nice if there was a door IN the kitchen leading outside.

I feel that he is SOOO close to being ok, but I don't want to push it and end up getting frustrated with accidents. I let him out in the family room off the kitchen right after potty break tonight for about 45 min... I'm thinking we'll let him have living room time after successful potty breaks to get him used to the rest of the house. I just hope it doesn't lead to barking when he has to stay in the kitchen... after I put him back in there he started barking at me when I had to go in the other room to help my son in the bathroom.

I guess that's a different issue, maybe a different thread... he barks often if I leave the kitchen... he want's me to stay in here with him, which I usually do, but there are times I have to leave :) lol. I hope it's not separation anx... I try to never make a big deal of the comings and goings from the kitchen.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Personally I would have him in the rest of the house attatched to you with a long cheap leash so that he is always in your site.
He won't learn the rest of the house if he is always in the kitchen. He has probably learned to not pee in the kitchen but doesn't know the other parts are the house as well.

Casey did take longer but I think it is my fault as I had 2 puppies in a row. Mandy trained the first week at 9-10 weeks old and was so good. I brought Casey home when Mandy was 5 months so I think I slacked some. Plus when breeder said crate trained she meant trained to potty in his crate. UGG another story

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My Poms were about 4 months old

And Olie was about 4-5 months old

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I like the suggestion of allowing him access to the rest of the house, but on a long line so you can keep him in your sight. Right now, the rest of the house might seem like "outisde" to him, since it's not his normal place to be.

My mini poo is almost 4 months old. Potty training isn't clicking as well as I would like it to. I take him out regularly to try to avoid accidents, but he isn't good at signaling WHEN he needs to go, so if I miss a subtle cue, he'll pee in the house. (Never poop, however. He always poops outdoors.)

So, when we're in the house, he's either in his x-pen in the living room, tethered to me with a leash or in our arms. At night, he sleeps in his crate in our room. No free roaming, and I don't anticipate him getting that privilege for many more months.

I do want to do the bell on the door thing, though. I'm going to buy one this weekend.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well i got Mister at 8 months and he only had one accident but it was my fault for not letting him out sooner. So he sleeps with me at night and has for probably the past year and he's 2 now. He can hold it all night however right after i got him he was still in his puppy chewing stage so he didnt sleep with me all night for the first few months until he could control his chewing lol. Still to this day when im gone and he cant come i will kennel him, i dont want to set him up for failure. Im sure he would be fine and would just play with his toys or sleep but i dont want to chance it ya know.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
If you guys want to try the bells at the door, I'll tell you how I got Vegas to pick it up so fast.

I didn't have the bells for probably the first few days I had him, then I went and bought some cheap bells from walmart, some hemp, and braided the bells onto a long line. I screwed a hook next to the back door where we go out.

Every time we would go out, I would hold his muzzle, gently move it across the bells, saying 'Outside' as I did so, then open the back door RIGHT after. After a couple days I put a tiny bit of butter on the bottom bell and when he licked it I said 'outside' and opened the door. A few days later I would point to the bells and say 'outside' and he began to touch them with his nose.

Now I don't have to say anything, he noses them when we go to the door. He's still leashed to me, but I just take him out to the door regularly to see if he needs to go out or not, and if he does he lets me know by touching the bells. I've had Vegas for two weeks today.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have no faith in my dogs till 6 months. One other thing about trusting them with is running UNLEASHED to the car. I usually don't allow that till about 10 months. The young dogs are never out of my sight. I take them to and from work and they sleep in the bed. Once they get older, they have a choice, but when they are little, they have no choice but to be in the same room with me. The older dog know when I say, "COME ON--GET IN THE CAR!", they run directly to the car, not all around it and bouncing around.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got Conan at about 3 months and he was pretty well trained by then--I could probably count on one hand the number of pee accidents he had, and the poo accidents were 0. We do the bells also and all I did was ring it every time we went outside (I took him out REALLY often at first) and if he so much as brushed the bells walking by, we went outside. Very shortly thereafter he was ringing on his own. I will say--he sometimes rings just to go out and play :) I don't mind that though and can generally tell if it's a play ring or a potty ring.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I can't really pinpoint when Fly was officially fully potty trained. She is five months old and we've had her for two of them. She has only had two accidents in the house, and one of them she had warned me prior. I think hanging the jingle bells on the door had tons to do with it. She just rings them whenever she wants to go outside, to potty or just run around.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Where did you keep them before you were comfortable letting them have full run?? Was in in one room, did you give them access to the house during certain times of the day?
Sorry, Rio...I have been very busy and only just got back here.

They were baby gated so that they were confined to the living room/kitchen area where I could see them during the daytime. They were crated every night in the family room in our basement. As soon as they got up in the morning, they were let out immediately to do their business. I allowed Billy free range of the house at night when he was only 9-months old and he never had an accident in the house.

Taffy is a woos when it comes to rain, snow, and high winds. She will stand on the porch and refuse to go off it to relieve herself. I take her on leash and walk her around the yard during these times but she won't leave my side and potty. So, I have to crate her when we get inside because she will definitely do it in the house. I let her stay out of the crate after she was a year old and she did well for three weeks but then started having accidents. So, she has been in the crate at night again.

Neither have accidents during the daytime.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had a nightmare of a time, and we probably weren't fully sorted until about nine months (so if anyone has any dog pee out of carpet suggestions....)
My fault entirely, funnily enough. WE stopped letting him out unsupervised when he started taking himself for walks (jumping the fence). It took a month for the trellis we ordered to arrive and get put up to extend the fence height.

But now he is fantastic. The only thing we do is have him in our room at night as he still needs a midnigt pee occasionally, and we wake up to him scratching at the door. He doesn't scratch at the door during the day, I just make the effort to let him out numerous times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts