Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riley is 7 and a half. I think he looks Great for his age, and noone can believe it when i tell them (one thing i like about the light colors as they dont show gray on the muzzle).

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Are you interested in ALL my dogs or just the poodles???

Hannah-banana - mix breed is 10+ years old
Juliet - mini dachshund is 8 years old
Chalumeau - standard poodle is 14 months
Lucybug - standard poodle is almost 13 weeks

We have two oldsters and two whippersnappers - it works well! :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Kiba turned 5 in July
Stryder will be 4 in January
Tsuki is 12.5 months
Lincoln just turned 1.

Yes.. and all are my dogs, as in.. no one else helps with them. LOL

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris is only 3.5, but my lil terrier is 11 now, and still a nutter. Terriers don't tend to slow down though!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you guys count how old your poodles are while they are in the womb as well? I believe at Poodle life at conception. Have you guys ever had to have poodle abortions when an unsuspecting pregnancy occurred or when one of your poodles was less educated and well off so she just couldn't afford to have a puppy?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Romeo turned 5 in July.
Brandy Turned 4 in November.
Bugsy the Havanese turned 3 in June.
Tinkerbel, my Persian is 12.5

·
Registered
486 Posts
Ali - 13
Paperboy - 10
Trouble - 10
Chili - 8
Kitty -7
Weejun ->7
Stinky - >6
Winnie - >5
Widget - 4
Runway - 2

All are standard poodles. All but Ali were born here.
Carole

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mandy is 2 this month and Casey is 20 months. Casey is still very immature and puppy like including all the chewing that goes with puppy.
Not sure that boy will ever grow up I should have called him peter pan

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Do you guys count how old your poodles are while they are in the womb as well? I believe at Poodle life at conception. Have you guys ever had to have poodle abortions when an unsuspecting pregnancy occurred or when one of your poodles was less educated and well off so she just couldn't afford to have a puppy?
I count at birth and I am not sure about your other questions??

Would those questions be for a breeder? Less educated poodle? Not sure I think thats possible!!! :arrogant (2):

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cricket turned 3 on November 16th! The male rescue poodle we are in the process of trying to adopt has been estimated to be 3.5 yo. Does anyone know how the rescues can tell how old they are? I've always wondered how they do that......

·
Registered
486 Posts
"Do you guys count how old your poodles are while they are in the womb as well? I believe at Poodle life at conception. Have you guys ever had to have poodle abortions when an unsuspecting pregnancy occurred or when one of your poodles was less educated and well off so she just couldn't afford to have a puppy"

Ha ha- someone has an agenda.
Poodles cannot have abortions unless they are spayed in the process. The drug that was used years ago has been banned for quite some time, so that is a moot question.

Carole

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Cricket turned 3 on November 16th! The male rescue poodle we are in the process of trying to adopt has been estimated to be 3.5 yo. Does anyone know how the rescues can tell how old they are? I've always wondered how they do that......
I managed a shelter here for 4 years and our veterinarian would make an educated "guess" of the age of any animal that came in as a stray or pound rescue or abandoned...

When my Hannah came in to the shelter as a pound rescue in 2002, Dr. Amy "guesstimated" that Hannah was about 3 years old mostly by looking at her teeth. She was definitely an adult, her teeth weren't really, really white like a 1-2 year old dogs would be, nor were they really, really tartar covered or broken which might occur in an older dog... I've often wondered if she may have been between 3-5 when she came to us, but we opted to go with the younger age (because we want her with us for as long as possible!!!)

Now when I give Hannah's age, I say she's 10+ because there really is no way for us to know exactly... At shelters and rescues, the babies are the easiest ones to peg because if their adult canines are coming in we can estimate within a month or so about how old they are... Once they're in their mid-adulthood, it's quite a bit harder to pinpoint an actual age...

Hope this helps! Good luck with your new rescue, too! Don't forget to post pictures once you get him! :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thank you for the info plumcrazy!! Apparantly the dog we are trying to adopt has pretty bad teeth--he has had 2 dentals done while in the rescue so far. His teeth are pretty ground down--on some the roots were exposed. I still need to get more info on that from them. I wonder how they can tell the age if the dog has really bad teeth? Can they tell anything about the age from bloodwork?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Don't know about telling age from bloodwork, but I can say that if it IS possible, it would've been waaaay too cost prohibitive for our small shelter to do... Where did the rescue acquire him from? Maybe if they got him from a previous owner (as a surrender) they have age information for him?

·
Registered
229 Posts
plumcrazy--I do know that he came from an overcrowded shelter to the rescue, however I do not know any other info. We are still in the preliminary adoption stages, and once we are approved we will be able to get more info. I'm thinking it was an owner surrender, because his weight is great, he looks pretty healthy--clear eyes and ears, he was matted and shaved, but his skin was in good condition underneath all that mess. He is surprisingly WHITE and clean under all that. Not even any tear stains!! Only problem are his teeth. Poor guy! I think I will have to start a new thread on poodle dental care when and if we adopt him--it sounds like I'm going to need all the advice I can get!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Elphie - 7mo old December 17th
Scooter - 1.5yrs old
Neko - between 1-2 years old...we don't know his exact age like scooter, both of them are rescues

1 - 20 of 36 Posts