Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often is it okay to blowdry? I don't want to dry out her skin or fry her coat. Millie's been swimming a lot this week, and has had a few baths (with gentle oatmeal shampoo/conditioner) to get rid of the chlorine. I blowdried her today - but she is going to the groomer tomorrow and will be bathed/dried again.

There is really no way around bathing her after swimming in the pool, but should I avoid drying her more than once a week?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have bathed and dried Jager weekly now since he was 3 1/2 months old. Some weeks, he needs two baths and blowdries--this was more when he was younger and getting pee all over himself. I have never noticed his skin getting dry.

Maybe some others will chime in, though, because this is my first poodle...

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
As long as you are using a decent quality shampoo made for dogs there should not be a problem in bathing your dog so often.

I would even suggest using a concentrated formula that you dilute prior to bathing...it's more cost effective because you are using much less of the product and generally better quality.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as you are using a decent quality shampoo made for dogs there should not be a problem in bathing your dog so often.

I would even suggest using a concentrated formula that you dilute prior to bathing...it's more cost effective because you are using much less of the product and generally better quality.
Yes I am using a good shampoo - I have both tropiclean oatmeal anti-itch and plum silky.

I am not so much worried about the bathing - it is the blow drying that I am concerned about. How much is too much?

·
Registered
997 Posts
What heat setting are you using? As long as you're using a force dryer with cool/warm air or a stand dryer on pretty low heat, you should be fine. Show dogs get bathed and dried a lot.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What heat setting are you using? As long as you're using a force dryer with cool/warm air or a stand dryer on pretty low heat, you should be fine. Show dogs get bathed and dried a lot.
I do not have a force dryer. I am just using a hand held blowdryer on warm (not hot). Is this still okay?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I think it should be okay. Try not to do it more than necessary though. I used a hand held dryer on Desmond once a week for a while, and he was fine, so I'd assume doing it a bit more often wouldn't be that bad. I'm not entirely sure though so hopefully a pro groomer can tell you. Just don't keep the dryer too close to her skin and be sure it doesn't get too hot, of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts