Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Well I took my guy every 3 weeks as I was trying to get him use to grooming. He will be 1 next month and still I take him every 4 weeks. I also have him clipped shorter than when he was a puppy. At first I ha them bathe and do feet, face, tail, now he gets a full groom. I probably could go another week bu t his hair grows so fast and still he doesn't have a great love to go there, he is excitable but once I am gone she says he calms down some but we are not there yet.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
It's great if you can bring the puppy in every 2-3 weeks when younger to get them used to it. Then when they get older if you want a fluffier haircut then 3-6 weeks and if you want a short haircut 6-8 weeks. (Depending on the length you want, your dog's coat type, your dogs lifestyle (lots of swimming or getting dirty), your desire and ability to properly brush/comb in between, etc. Sometimes you have to play around with frequency till you find the right time frame for your dog/haircut)

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Groom as often as you can getting the pup used to a grooming routine. I did not do this with my Asta, and I much regret it. He is now terrible about grooming, although we do get through it, Not a joy for him nor me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
M puppy is almost 6 months and we've taken her to Petsmart evern 2-3 weeks for the puppy bath and trim (with feet/face) so she's used to it. She does pretty well except the face, she's very weird even when I try and wipe her face. Other than that she does great.

·
Registered
586 Posts
while i didnt bath milo every week at that age. i did groom him just about every week. we may not doing anything major, its primarily for him to get used to grooming. i did trim down all his puppy hair at 10 weeks since he was a summer puppy and i cant keep on top of the long puppy hair. i must have bath him every 2 weeks then. on top of that, desensitize your puppy to ear cleaning and nail clipping. i was reading a ton here before i got milo and i am glad to say, he does very well with grooming. i used to dremel his nails and he didnt like it that very much, so now i just clip it with a clipper and he is great.

·
Registered
921 Posts
while i didnt bath milo every week at that age. i did groom him just about every week. we may not doing anything major, its primarily for him to get used to grooming. i did trim down all his puppy hair at 10 weeks since he was a summer puppy and i cant keep on top of the long puppy hair. i must have bath him every 2 weeks then. on top of that, desensitize your puppy to ear cleaning and nail clipping. i was reading a ton here before i got milo and i am glad to say, he does very well with grooming. i used to dremel his nails and he didnt like it that very much, so now i just clip it with a clipper and he is great.
This is so important. Get him used to grooming at home as well. Just a few minutes a day on the grooming table will work wonders. It will also make you feel more comfortable about grooming yourself, which will be necessary in between trips to the professional. Your dog may be perfectly accepting of the professional groomer, however, if you are anywhere near as nervous as I was, your pup will detect that and respond differently than with the calm and cool pro.

I am much calmer now about grooming. While some aspects are still not easy (face and feet), I can leave my dog on the grooming table to get something in another room. He jumps in the tub on his own where initially I used peanut butter as a lure. And he stands very still for my attempts at scissoring. Initially I had no plans to keep my spoo with hair, but am almost enjoying at least the scissoring (not so much the blow dry - - too much time!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts