Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you all take your dogs every year for a checkup? Just wondering cause both mine are due but no vaccines are due except Ginger for Lymes which I am considering not doing. She has monthly meds all year around so I dont know if the vaccine booster is over kill. what do you all think?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mine go once or 2 times a year...once if I can get their teeth cleaning and shots all done the same day at the vet in town...but only the "younger" ones get the all in one vet visit.

If they are acting ill I take them of course, but other than that if they are young (like 4 yrs and under) I don't worry too much.

My older girls go 2-3 times per year...too old to take teeth cleaning and everything else (shots, worming, blood tests, ect) all at once so I split it up so they don't feel so yucky the day after.

I have had the vet just do it all while they are under for the teeth cleaning and they just acted so groggy for the next couple of days I decided to not do that again. I guess the grogginess didn't bother me as much as the lack of appetite and the vet said it might happen.

He said that some dogs are fine doing it that way, but others are better to go a couple times rather than everything at once.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I only take mine when they are ill or I need a procedure done. We give our own vaccines or I take them to the local petstore when VIP pet services comes around.

For all those that don't know and like to give your own puppy shots Walmart pharmacy carries puppy vaccines. I used to get mine from our local feed store. After I found out Walmart pharmacy sells them I by from walmart.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Is it legal where you are to give the rabies vaccine yourself then? It isn't here in Florida, but somehow the feed store sells the rabies vaccine???
I didn't know that about walmart either, thats handy info to have if you're going to do it yourself.

I take my guys twice a year for annual visits in May for their vaccinations and Novemeber to update their kennel cough vaccine. Though we missed out Nov. Appt this year because the puppy was to young for Wonder to have the K.C. updated. We purshased that one and did it ourselves since it is easy enough to do. I feel like it never hurts to have your dog checked out at least once a year by a vet to just make sure all systems are go soto speak and to have a heartworm test. You can't purchase the heartworm preventative here without a test and a script from the vet. I bypass that though and order mine (at a huge discount) from Austrialia, where heartworm preventatives are over the counter :) I got a whole years supply for Jazz for less than I would have paid for just two single doeses from my clinic. Yay :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
I usually see the vet once a year (unless ill) for the Titer test,which tells us the dog's level of immune defenses.
The test determines what vaccinations, if any, are needed.
My groomer does the teeth as needed to avoid going under anaesthesia for a major clean.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I started giving my own vaccines last year...I buy mine by the box (25 doses) from an on-line place.

I still have to take them to the vet for rabies...its the same cost as if I went to a clinic at the out of town vet I use. The in town vet does the teeth cleaning and I have him do the rabies if they are due!

I have noticed that with feeding bones and offering chewable toys at least 3 days a week their teeth look like they don't even need it this year. We will see what the vet says when they are due for their rabies. My vet uses the 3 yr rabies on the ones over 10 lbs...so they will just be going in for a heart worm test and blood testing.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so far the bigs ones teeth are great! they are both healthy - that's why I asked - I don't know how I feel about taking them now for a checkup when they have been there in less than a year for other things - its sooo expensive!

·
Registered
554 Posts
With you recovering still and the fact they have seen the vet within the last year anyhow...I about bet if you yourself called your vet to ask if a check-up should be scheduled, THEY would say to go ahead and wait a while.

I know vets make their money by seeing patients, but I am betting that they would indeed understand if you wanted to put it off for a while!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
They are both reasonably young right? By young I mean not senior citizens. If thats the case, and they've been in for other things through out this past year and you aren't planning on re-vaccinating them with your vet I wouldn't worry to much. So long as you can get your heartworm meds with no problem.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Is it legal where you are to give the rabies vaccine yourself then? It isn't here in Florida, but somehow the feed store sells the rabies vaccine???
I didn't know that about walmart either, thats handy info to have if you're going to do it yourself.

I take my guys twice a year for annual visits in May for their vaccinations and Novemeber to update their kennel cough vaccine. Though we missed out Nov. Appt this year because the puppy was to young for Wonder to have the K.C. updated. We purshased that one and did it ourselves since it is easy enough to do. I feel like it never hurts to have your dog checked out at least once a year by a vet to just make sure all systems are go soto speak and to have a heartworm test. You can't purchase the heartworm preventative here without a test and a script from the vet. I bypass that though and order mine (at a huge discount) from Austrialia, where heartworm preventatives are over the counter :) I got a whole years supply for Jazz for less than I would have paid for just two single doeses from my clinic. Yay :)

I don't believe you can purchase rabies vaccines here so I think its illegal also. I have never given a rabies vac myself. We either go to the vet or lately we use the VIP services for rabies/worming/micro chipping.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I give my own shots as well so my dogs only go to the vet on a need be bases. For the heartworm I just stop by the vet and pick it up and get yearly testing.

About the rabies thing its illegal in these states to give them by your self.

AK, AL, AR, CA, CT, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, MD, ME, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, NE, ND, NV, NJ, NM, NY, OR, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, WA, WV and WY.

Also if you live in a state that allows you to give them but the two you live in may require yearly license and rabies.

*wonders away* :behindsofa:

·
Registered
912 Posts
This is all very interesting. In Australia I'm pretty sure you can't give your own vaccines to dogs, but you can give some to horses, but as WonderPup said you can buy heartworm prevention over the counter at vets, petshops etc.. and we don't have rabies in this country so don't vaccinate for it.

Why are you all having heartworm tests every year? If your dog is on prevention and you give it as requied (eg. don't stop) we don't test regularly over here. For those who don't know byut are giving heartworm without an initial test please be aware that you may kill your dog if he/she has heartworm and you give a preventative, depending on how far advanced the heartworm is, if it is far advanced then you WILL kill your dog.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If they stay healthy in between....I take them once a year for annual checkups

Some years I have really healthy dogs and others.....

well

the vet sees me more often.

·
Registered
554 Posts
This is all very interesting. In Australia I'm pretty sure you can't give your own vaccines to dogs, but you can give some to horses, but as WonderPup said you can buy heartworm prevention over the counter at vets, petshops etc.. and we don't have rabies in this country so don't vaccinate for it.

Why are you all having heartworm tests every year? If your dog is on prevention and you give it as requied (eg. don't stop) we don't test regularly over here. For those who don't know byut are giving heartworm without an initial test please be aware that you may kill your dog if he/she has heartworm and you give a preventative, depending on how far advanced the heartworm is, if it is far advanced then you WILL kill your dog.
In the US some (not all and not mine) vets REQUIRE yearly heart worm tests...even if you buy a full years supply of heart worm meds from them.

They will not sell you the meds UNLESS you have the test performed to PREVENT accidentally selling meds to someone who might kill their infected dog by giving it the heart worm medicine.

They insist on the test to basically protect their practice from frivolous law suits. Sad but true...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You can add Iowa to the list of states that only allow a rabies vacc given by a veterinarian.

If our clients give heartworm prevention year round, we allow them to test every other year - nothing is 100%, so better safe than sorry. Plus, we do the IDEXX 4DX test - it tests for heartworm, lyme, and a couple other blood parasites. We have had one dog come up positive for E. Canis and several for Lyme. So - heartworms may not be the only thing your vet is testing for.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Heartworms are such a problem here in florida that all the vets I know of require yearly tests. My vet put it to me like this, " even if I give you a year's supply of prevention it isn't 100% effective, there is always the rare dog that gets it in spite of being on preventions, and also how do we know you're dog has recieved every dose?" It made sense to me so I agree to the test though now I guess I dont have to since I'm ordering my preventative from Australia.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I went to a parasite seminar and we were told (by a Vet) the majority of heartworm tests detect the eggs and a worm has to be in the animal for 6 months until its mature enough to make eggs so you may test once and its fine but test again and it could be positive. So we test once a year to make sure the preventive is working properly.

Also did y'all know cats can get heartworm? Most who have them die because their hearts are to small for the worms and even one worm can kill them. The Vet who gave the seminar told us that buy using Revaluation you can prevent and treat heartworm in cats with the topical treatments.

Yeah... :behindsofa:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts