Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who are giving bullysticks, especially as a source of teeth cleaning, how often do you give them? We're trying to find a good way to keep our mini's teeth clean and while I do try brushing, it's still a struggle (I'm hoping with more practice he eventually gets used to it). I can get the outsides of the top front teeth pretty well, but he is not happy when I try to get those back molars.

We recently purchased and finished our first bag of bullysticks from BestBullySticks.com (and OMG does he love them!), but I'm wondering how often we should let him have them. How quickly he chews them up varies from one stick to the next, so I don't know if some are harder than others or if some days he's just more aggressive. We originally bought the 6" standard and one day he might get 3/4 of the way through the thing in under 30 minutes, the next time after an hour he's only an inch or two in.

This time I decided to try the 6" thick and the 12" standard. I was sick of throwing the last couple inches of the 6" standard away so quickly, so decided to try a couple different sizes this time to see if they would last longer before getting too short to be safe.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I alternate it with pigs ears and give it every 2nd day. He eats raw bones a few times a week so I say maybe 1 day of the week where he doesn’t get anything for his teeth. I do adjust his meals intake if he gets a treat. I cut pig ears in half with my garden shears since they are huge.

For bully sticks, once the piece get small, soak them several days in water. It will be soft enough, though still super rubbery that you can cut it into coins with kitchen shears. I give this to Milo in between meals and incorporate training. I probably get only 3-4 thin coins since the bully sticks are usually around 2” long before I take it away from him.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that tip about soaking the bully sticks, I never would have thought of that. I would also like to try raw bones one of these days, but I'm still a little uneasy about it. I'd also have to give them outside as I know he'd carry them all through the house leaving raw chicken juice everywhere! What are you using for bones? I see chicken wings come up fairly often on here.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had train him to eat raw bones on a specific mat. I lay a kitchen towel on it so it’s not slippery. He will not move even after his done, I pick him up and wash his face. This is just part of training so he knows the drill well. Plus raw bones need supervision. I use mostly small chicken drumstick,wings, chicken backs, duck necks, turkey wings but I cut them smaller since it’s huge. I don’t ever give fish bones and super rare to give beefbones since can’t find one that’s soft enough. I did give beef shanks because it has that huge centre bones. I also have given him the tips of pork ribs.

P/s, also rare for me to give him wild game since it’s due to availability but he has had caribou legs, not to chew on the bone since it’s a load bearing bone but the tons of sinew on it works excellent like a floss.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Well I don't use bully sticks, but I do give buffalo ears nearly every day. Asuk I like buffalo ears over pig ears because I don't like how greasy the pig ears are.

Reactions: kontiki

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
I use lamb ears instead of bully sticks. Virbac CET Enzymatic oral hygiene chews were recommended on PF and Buck enjoys them too.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well I don't use bully sticks, but I do give buffalo ears nearly every day. Asuk I like buffalo ears over pig ears because I don't like how greasy the pig ears are.
I would love to try buffalo. But I can’t never find them. I did try cows ears for him, he likes it but again, harder to find. I am also super limited on retailers who will ship to my area. So for now, he gets half a pigs ear. He gets rabbits ears from time to time but those are not really for teeth cleaning.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I started out giving Rudy "regular" 6" bully sticks but quickly found that he lost interest in them after awhile. For some reason I grabbed a braided bully stick at the pet store and those he adores. I now buy the 12" braided sticks and they last him about a week. He gets to chew on them once I've got pj's on and have retired to my bed to watch some news, do a crossword puzzle etc. It has now become a routine. I also use dental gel on his teeth with spin toothbrush 2-3 times a week. He is getting a pig ear (among other items) in his Christmas stocking as a special treat. I've been buying freeze dried fruit for humans for training treats also. He loves the crunchy freeze dried apples and bananas.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I bought some of these, Virbac CET Enzymatic oral hygiene chews , after seeing the recommendation. Renn loves them but although I bought the biggest size its done in 5-10 minutes. I also notice the next morning he does not have an appetite for his breakfast. So I'm unsure but we will finish them off as I bought a very big bag thinking our boxer would enjoy them too. The boxer does not chew, we realized this some time ago so we have to be careful what we give him as he will swallow things whole once they are soft, then choke. So he can't have them. He only gets the yak cheese which he will gnaw on and take it away when its small enough to swallow.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I would love to try buffalo. But I can’t never find them. I did try cows ears for him, he likes it but again, harder to find. I am also super limited on retailers who will ship to my area. So for now, he gets half a pigs ear. He gets rabbits ears from time to time but those are not really for teeth cleaning.
If you can order from Pet Flow this is where I get them. It identifies them as smoked, but they aren't. I have it on an auto ship program. https://www.petflow.com/product/bingo/bingo-smoked-buffalo-ears-for-dogs?trk_search_product=1

Sometimes they are on Amazon too.

Reactions: asuk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies! I'll have to try some ears (lamb, pig, buffalo) as many of you mentioned. I've seen them on BestBullySticks so next time I place an order with them, I'll throw in some ears. Before I bought the bully sticks, I did look into the C.E.T. Enzymatic Chews as I had found them recommended here (mostly on older threads), but when I went to order them I saw a lot of great older reviews, but the more recent reviews seemed to indicate the quality may be going downhill, talking about things like splintering and inconsistent sizing creating choking hazards. When I saw they were made in Mexico, it kind of made me wonder about the quality control. Since I had never given any sort of chews before I was worried about the choking hazard and decided to start with bully sticks, but maybe I will revisit the C.E.T. chews now that I've had a chance to monitor his chewing habits with the bully sticks.

My vet's website mentions that for raw bones, marrow bones from smaller mammals such as lamb are good because they're softer and less dense than beef bones, but while I haven't tried looking yet, I imagine lamb marrow bones will not be easy to find.

Asuk (or anyone else who feeds raw bones): How do you train your dog to chew raw bones? Do you just let them clean the bone first then take it away? Or do they actually chew, swallow and eat the bone itself? Is there a specific choking hazard you watch for at which point you'd take it away, or are you just making sure they don't swallow it whole? As far as bacteria, do you freeze the bones first? I understand the concept of the dog's digestive system being different than ours and not as susceptible to salmonella, but just curious. Chicken backs are pretty large, I've actually purchased a whole bag of them before for making chicken stock. Asuk, do you cut those up before giving to your mini? Sorry for all the questions, this is new to me and if/when I do decide to introduce raw bones, I want to make sure I do it right.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Asuk (or anyone else who feeds raw bones): How do you train your dog to chew raw bones? Do you just let them clean the bone first then take it away? Or do they actually chew, swallow and eat the bone itself? Is there a specific choking hazard you watch for at which point you'd take it away, or are you just making sure they don't swallow it whole? As far as bacteria, do you freeze the bones first? I understand the concept of the dog's digestive system being different than ours and not as susceptible to salmonella, but just curious. Chicken backs are pretty large, I've actually purchased a whole bag of them before for making chicken stock. Asuk, do you cut those up before giving to your mini? Sorry for all the questions, this is new to me and if/when I do decide to introduce raw bones, I want to make sure I do it right.
milo's first raw bones was actually chicken feet at 9 weeks. I gave it to him outside, at this point his jaw isn't strong enough to really chew it but it was a start. slowly I introduce a mat and moved it indoors. I was also looking to make sure he is actually chewing and not gulping. I do freeze the bones and thaw it overnight, its usually not thawed 100% so it lacks juices. I cut chicken backs width wise so there is 2 parts of the neck. I give chicken back very sparingly since I read here about chicken necks can cause issues in dogs. I usually only save chicken back if I buy a whole chicken to roast. I dont buy chicken backs or any other parts of the chicken specifically for milo. so if I buy a dozen wings, I might freeze 2 for milo. I too wasn't too sure about raw bones in the beginning but right now I am quite confident in it. we did it all through his growing years and haven't had issues. I dont give raw bones every day though since its high in calcium and can cause constipation. I adjust this ratio by adding liver to his raw meal. he almost always have raw for breakfast and cooked or kibble for dinner.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good thread.
I was told bully sticks for sure for Sage as a puppy but only veal for puppies because they were softer. And very expensive. Did anyone else hear that?
I found some cheap ones (not veal) for Saffy recently and they both adore them. I just don’t give them very often as I am not sure about quality — only because they are cheap. Not sure why I am worried! Sage has always been able to get through them quickly even as a puppy.
Thank goodness Saffron seems to take longer!!
Still, i’d like to try the buffalo ears but I haven’t seen them before either. Raw bones are a special treat for Sage. He totally keeps it on his bed. I put a towel down on his bed and it was really easy to train him to keep it on it. Then I wash the towel right away. Other bones I usually do outside.
I don’t worry about teeth too much because Sage and now Saffron both adore the electric toothbrush!! This might be a case of Saffron learning something good from Sage:) it makes me happy. It is so easy to brush their teeth.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had train him to eat raw bones on a specific mat. I lay a kitchen towel on it so it’s not slippery. He will not move even after his done, I pick him up and wash his face. This is just part of training so he knows the drill well. Plus raw bones need supervision. I use mostly small chicken drumstick,wings, chicken backs, duck necks, turkey wings but I cut them smaller since it’s huge. I don’t ever give fish bones and super rare to give beefbones since can’t find one that’s soft enough. I did give beef shanks because it has that huge centre bones. I also have given him the tips of pork ribs.

P/s, also rare for me to give him wild game since it’s due to availability but he has had caribou legs, not to chew on the bone since it’s a load bearing bone but the tons of sinew on it works excellent like a floss.
I use the same method on Louie. He eats a lot of raw chicken feet - since I have excellent source nearby. You can train them to eat on a towel in 1 evening. I give him the foot only when he sits in the spot on the towel - and the moment he tries to move it off the towel I go pick it up and put it away for at least 5 minutes. You don't have to do that more than 3 times with a Poodle - they learn that quickly. Now I just have to say oh-oh and he knows "oops I am off my towel" and re-adjusts himself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts