Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nickel is 20 wks old today. I want to get him used to being handled so I have been brushing him out and brushing his teeth every other day. I stick my finger into his ears before his breakfast and I clean his ears (massage with cleaner) every 3 or 4 days. Not sure if this ear-cleaning schedule is appropriate or not.

Just wondering how often do you brush your poodle? brush his/her teeth? clean his/her ears?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i feed raw so i don't brush teeth but check em every few months.

Ears- well bernie was good s gold for 2 months last winter- bella is at 2 weeks and needs them done (Now to trck down my ear cleaner it's in a box- somewhere). It depends on what your using i guess as to if often is too often you know? harsher cleaners i'd hesitate to use frequently if the ears are already clean... I know most do about weekly

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I only brush Vegas's teeth once a month because he absolutely hates the mint flavor and will foam at the mouth and shake his head like crazy to try and get rid of it when we're done.. sigh.

But I brushed him 2-3 times a week in his longer cut, and I'll still brush a couple times a week for his tail, topknot, and ears and once a week for his shorter body.

I pluck his ear hair and clean his ears about every three weeks, though never on the same day so the clearer doesnt irritate his freshly plucked ears.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I brush their bodies every 2-3 days. I have 2 spoos and an if I didn't Suri would be a mess!

Their ears on average might be every 2 weeks. We bath (or try) every 2 weeks. Olie we check often because his ears do get a bit more gunk then Suri's. In that case we clean them.

We feed Raw - so no brushing really. Although I am noticing Olie is eating on one side more than the other so I might have to start cleaning his teeth:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I brush Vinnie out daily - I might miss a day here or there, but not very often. I groom him every other weekend. I also feed raw and don't brush his teeth.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Diddo on the teeth! I would recommend you brush his teeth every day (other day at minimum) to really stay on top of it. Good job for even doing it in the first place! I used to clean Rys ears once a week. I think brushing him everyday is wonderful! I am not that good, and have been keeping Ry shorter.

FS, they make poultry flavored toothpaste. Ry loves it and will lick it off the brush!! Have you tried that?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I guess i'm pretty lucky..even with Sagan's long coat I rarely ever brush him. I bathe him about once every two weeks at the longest... sometimes he's gotten really dirty and had to go in for a bath.. but generally it's every other week or so and i've never noticed tangles or mats of any kind.

I bathe, condition and then brush out his coat while using the fluff stand dryer and make sure a comb runs through.. but in between i don't do anything!

Dodger though when she has a long coat needs to be brushed at least twice a week. she gets tangled pretty easily..

Vega is about the same as Sagan..with his longer coat he can just usually wait until bath day to be brushed out while drying.

I usually do teeth on bath day as well... and ears it depends.. on Dodger i've been going a good while before doing them and it actually seems to keep her from getting ear infections.

Vega about every 4 weeks or so and Sagan i've been doing it every bath day just to get him used to it but i only pluck the fur every other time or so..i generally just shave out the really long hairs and then clean with the blue ear power treatment solution.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
I brush and comb daily, and do teeth (I use Petzone gel) daily too. I check ears daily, and pluck them once a week, or more often if they look fluffy - I've found if I do it a little at a tme Poppy quite enjoys it, but once it builds up it obviously stings a bit, so I do little and often. I don't clean them unless there is obvious gunk - and then I would probably get her checked by the vet before using anything (she had a dose of ear mites as a pup, but they have been clear as a whistle since then). I am now raw feeding, and using PlaqueOff - toy dogs teeth need a lot of attention! Poppy gets bathed before a clip - every 5-6 weeks. Apart from that the regular brushing seems to keep her coat clean and sweet smelling (apart from the occasional roll in fox poo, of course!)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I never brush....too lazy. I just bathe and fluff the big ones every 2 weeks. The HV fluffing gets the hair separated and I do brush topknots and legs on them. The little poodle with the finer, softer hair gets messier quicker so he gets done every 3-4 days and gets a total comb thru. I check ears, but since they eat alot of bones, they have clean ears and clean teeth. I do have 1 white female standard that is being treated for red yeast. It is from seasonal outdoor allergies. I am trying (without a vet's advice) OTC Claritin. She is also on a vitamin mix with pro/prebiotics, ester C and fish oil....she gets cleaned daily with a vinegar mixture. I am going to keep doing this but I am honestly not seeing miraculous results. Its ONLY because I am diligent that its not a full blown case of yeast....I'd say is UNDER CONTROL, not cured. It will go away when the weather is bitter cold and snow stays on the ground. Till then I just do her ears daily.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
P2P, my boy gets really bad seasonal allergies too. I have found that the best shampoo to help him is eqyss micro-teck. It works great! I do feet baths when he gets bad a couple times a week, and there is a spray too. No meds help Ry, so we just maintain as best we can. The shampoo helps him with the itching though it seems more then otheres weve tried.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Well, I TRY to brush Desmond's teeth every day, but since we move between my two parents' houses every week I ended up losing the toothpaste. :doh: It's been well over a week since he got his teeth brushed, it's driving me nuts (and it's very noticeable!). He has really bad teeth, as in they get lots of tartar on them real easily so I try and do what I can to keep that off. It helps that he looooves having his teeth brushed :) He wags his tail when I get the brush out, and lays in my lap and about falls asleep he looks so content.

I am about to keep onto a daily or at the very least every-other-day brushing schedule. He is really bad about getting brushed (poor dear just hates it. He behaves himself and is very good but he is obviously very unhappy and uncomfortable) so we're gonna move to a more frequent brushing to get him more used to it and so that he will have less tangles and mats to get out (which is what made him start hating it in the first place..) Lots of cheese and treats so I can try and get him to enjoy being brushed again :)

Ears.. well I rarely did much to them until I plucked the hair that one time and they got infected. Then I cleaned them (with a wipe, not liquid solution) every day; I use the liquid cleaner pretty infrequently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts