Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
I have groomed my own poodles for 15 years. It is more difficult if you do not have the right tools, I only got better tools over three years ago. I bathe my three toys every other week, doing a sanitary trim every week. Doing a full groom once a month. A bath, dry and tidy roughly an hour and half. Full groom can be an hour each, that being with a longer coat, summer trims infinitely less trim as every one is clipped short.
I have it down to a science now
The right tools are a must. I really wish I had a wash station large enough to hold Pogo. I normally wash him using showerhead attachment in my in my bathtub. It's not pleasant for me, as I need to work bent over. Its not pleasant for Pogo, as he's too big to turn around in the tub. Plus he's not happy about standing on the slippery enamel surface. When Galen was still small enough to fit in the kitchen sink I was astounded at how much easier it was to bathe him.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
We've all heard the warnings about how much grooming poodles take, and now with the COVID situation, I've seen a lot of y'all resorting to home grooming. So how much work has grooming been for you? On a daily, weekly, monthly and basis? What am I getting myself into when I get my standard poodle?
I miss my groomer. The first one Toby had for the first 2 years of his life. After a couple of years the shop she worked in closed. I've gone to others. Not the same...but one learns a lot.
Let me start by saying during Tobys' first 3 years it was pretty simple. I used a Bravura trimmer that I love and I continue to use it for his face and tender areas. (in between trying other grooming establishments )
Although still a bit nervous...I am braver now trimming around his face ...eyes, and mouth. I am still trying to figure out how to do it under his body/underarms... I am braver because I NEED to be. The poor dog needs to see!!! And mats are not a good thing for any dog!

His feet were always pretty easy for me. I did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos.

Since the lockdown, things have changed. He has allergies .... and it appears his coat is VERY THICK. My trimmer no longer did the job it previously had done. Thinking it was the blade I bought another black diamond.
Nope... I needed a clipper. I bought an Oscar golden 5. I now know the difference between a clipper and a trimmer. I use them both. I also use the mini Bravura.

**Brushing ... combing his hair is one of the most important things I have learned about grooming. It is so important to do on a regular basis, especially now with his extremely thick hair.
I can not believe how much his hair has changed! My thought is ... its a changing of the season... reason. lol
Brushing ... combing his hair is one of the most important things ... spray detangler helps a LOT...
CONSISTENCY IS KEY. I knew that... however, I became busy with other things and was not doing as well as I should have been!
Life is busy. It just is!! But make it a point to Brush, comb your poodle every day even if for only a few minutes. Dogs like routine... and I sure am glad my Toby loves treats!!! =)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Besides watching videos to understand the theory.. I’d say the two things that helped me become more confident in the beginning were making sure there were no tangles before I got my clippers and using a plastic guard/comb attachment on the blade. The plastic clipper guards aren’t the best, but the should work fine on a puppy coat or well-brushed hair.. and once you become more confident, you can switch to metal ones or different blades. I just found them to be a lot less intimidating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Henri is a big standard poodle and would only allow a male to groom him and when the male left at Petsmart, I had to learn how to groom him myself because they had two women try to groom him and he would not allow it. He also gets car sick so I could not drive him to a lot of groomers in town. I was planning on grooming him myself when I got him to cut down on the expense. I had to collect the supplies and I also wanted him to get several grooming appointments at the groomers first while he was a puppy to get use to it. I watched a lot of YouTube and I was scared to groom the face but I learned. He did have his first three grooming sessions at the groomers, after that I have been grooming. He get's a facial cut every two-three weeks and usually a bath. What helped me start shaving his face was a lot of treats at first to make him stop moving so much. I try and brush him every week and I should brush him at least once a week to stop the matts. I bought a good clipper Andis ProClip UltraEdge and use a 10 blade on Amazon that was discounted, ceramic guards, curved scissors for the top Knot and later a grooming table on Ebay along w/a forced air dryer. He still will not allow me to grind his nails so when he see's the vet, I had him trim them and previous groomer but I will probably have to have someone do that for me. However, I do a full body groom about every two months and last time, it took 2 hours because he had matts. I have now started using a conditioner called "Ice on Ice" Ultra dematting spray which works great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've all heard the warnings about how much grooming poodles take, and now with the COVID situation, I've seen a lot of y'all resorting to home grooming. So how much work has grooming been for you? On a daily, weekly, monthly and basis? What am I getting myself into when I get my standard poodle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have 3 standard poodles. Grooming hasn’t been a real problem for us. We were to find a mobile groomer to whom we handed the dogs one at a time as they were groomed, and the groomer returned one and took the next. The worst part was the cost. I usually get them groomed for what we paid for one to be groomed. Needless to say, they were allowed to get a bit shaggy before they were groomed again. Fortunately, our groomer has opened back up with social distancing and masks required, so they’re back on their every 2 week schedule. As for me, I brush them every 2-3 days, clean their ears, and brush their teeth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s a lot of work. I take my standard poodle to the groom every 6 weeks and bath him once a week at home ( he’s cream colored). He has a short all over cut with a mohawk on top. I’m grateful that my best friend is a groomer and did his clip at her house. He hates his coat brushed. But we do it anyway. Poodles are high maintenance but they are smart and loving. The rewards outweigh the negatives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have three standards and I groom my own and have for about 7 years. I have a fantastic groomer and I send my puppies to her for about a year. They learn “table manners “ and are a lot easier to handle. When I was contemplating a third dog (7 years ago), I asked my groomer for some tips. She sat down with me, showed me what equipment to purchase and then stood by me as we, together, groomer my big boy (who has passed a couple of years ago). The next month, I did it myself, took him down to the salon, and she showed me how to fix my mistakes. She’s a very busy groomer and never felt like she was losing a customer. I recommended he to others and when I’m getting ready to show (obedience) she always grooms for me. It takes practice, practice practice. And patience, lots of patience. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never did mind grooming my babies! I actually groom them most of the time and only go to the groomer maybe twice/year. If you start working with them when they are young, they are LOTS easier to groom. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I clipped my frail old dogs for the last year or so of their lives so that I could spread it over a couple of days. I was happy to get back to sending the new guy to the groomer. Like the old dogs, I also brush his ears out most days and spend a few minutes clipping his face and privates every 3-4 weeks. It takes me roughly 3 hours to bathe and clip him down every 6-8 weeks. With the exception of the clipping, they don't take any more time than any long-haired dog.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
How much work it is depends on what clip you keep your poodle in. A complete shave down or a smart looking German Trim doesn't take much work at all, especially if you groom them monthly so the hair doesn't grow to long. If you want long hair there's more maintenance combing and brushing every few days to avoid mats. Very long pompoms are the most labor intensive. Everything sticks to leg pompoms and very long hair tangles and mats more quickly. I have to brush and comb out my dog's pompoms every day or two depending on what she has gotten into. Snow is the worst - if she gets snow balls in her pompom, I have to comb them out every time we come inside.

I have a minipoo. A full groom from bath, blow dry to trim and scissor work is a solid 3 hours. However I prefer to do things in small chunks. I do like to bath and blow dry every two weeks and face/feet/sanitary. The rest I groom when I'm in the mood. By blowing her hair straight and keeping her in a Miami bikini, I rarely have to comb or brush her....except her pompoms.

OTOH, I never have to clean fur of my clothes or furniture. You can spend time grooming a poodle, or spend similar time cleaning up after a dog that sheds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just started grooming my toy during the pandemic, and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it! The first time I tried to groom him it was a disaster; razor burn and all. The second time I tried, I used steel attachment combs along with my Bravura clipper to make sure I wasn't going too short, and it was actually fun. The last time I groomed him, he looked great! My advice is to take him to a professional groomer in the beginning, so the dog learns the etiquette of sitting still, and you can see how they groom the dog (i.e. sanitary area, pull hair from ears, etc) and also can get him into a basic style that you like, and can then maintain. After several times at a professional, try it yourself. Just make sure to get good materials. I have a Wahl Bravura clipper and the Wahl Steel Attachment combs. Both have been great! Also, watch YouTube videos to learn how clip delicate areas like around the eyes and face.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If you do NOT have arthritis so that you can hold a mechanical clipper, it should not be too much to keep a poodle trimmed, if you have a good clipper.

However, I do have arthritis. It takes a professional groomer 3-4 hours to groom my spoo! The cost is bad enough, but now during the Coronavirus COVID-19 with the restrictions to not have grooming, I am having a terrible time!

I do not have a professional clipper, nor grooming scissors. It hurts like heck to even try to brush him, so he is becoming tangled. It has gotten so that he cannot even see, so I had to take my regular scissors, and try to cut the hair around his eyes. Very amusing - he now looks like a lion!

He was practically choking with how tight his collar was becoming. So last night I spent 2 hours with a comb, and my normal scissors, cutting the hair around his neck where the collar goes. I put the comb at the base of his skin, and then clipped with the scissors so that I would not accidentally cut him. It is rather irregular, but he is happy.
He looks most amusing with a two inch approximate trim around his neck, but he is delighted that his collar is no longer choking him. It took me two hours to be able to sleep with the pain in my hands and wrist.

His lower legs are terrible - grey, long, tangled... and long nails, long hair between his pads.... oh my.

I sure hope they open the grooming salons soon!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you do NOT have arthritis so that you can hold a mechanical clipper, it should not be too much to keep a poodle trimmed, if you have a good clipper.

However, I do have arthritis. It takes a professional groomer 3-4 hours to groom my spoo! The cost is bad enough, but now during the Coronavirus COVID-19 with the restrictions to not have grooming, I am having a terrible time!

I do not have a professional clipper, nor grooming scissors. It hurts like heck to even try to brush him, so he is becoming tangled. It has gotten so that he cannot even see, so I had to take my regular scissors, and try to cut the hair around his eyes. Very amusing - he now looks like a lion!

He was practically choking with how tight his collar was becoming. So last night I spent 2 hours with a comb, and my normal scissors, cutting the hair around his neck where the collar goes. I put the comb at the base of his skin, and then clipped with the scissors so that I would not accidentally cut him. It is rather irregular, but he is happy.
He looks most amusing with a two inch approximate trim around his neck, but he is delighted that his collar is no longer choking him. It took me two hours to be able to sleep with the pain in my hands and wrist.

His lower legs are terrible - grey, long, tangled... and long nails, long hair between his pads.... oh my.

I sure hope they open the grooming salons soon!
This is so sad. I’m so sorry for you. If we lived close I would help. It wouldn’t be perfect or beautiful but it would be better for the two of you. Hugs to you

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I don't particularly like the grooming. Combing and brushing are fine and both my dog and I enjoy the time together. The clipping I don't care for but its doable now that he has manners. I as someone else said have sent mine to the groomer from day 1, every 4 weeks. So he is pretty patient with me but bathing is an issue for me, not a good place in this house to bathe and rinse properly. Plus my clipping is not so good, always c comes out not so smoothly. Our groomer is back and he will go see her next Monday Yea! (i now thanks to pandemic can keep up with him in between, I can do his feet, sanitary, and face., not perfect but reasonable) I can also keep his ears plucked, and his nails dremeled. Having the right tools really makes things go a lot smoother and knowing how to care for your blades too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a large mini. Brushout daily, buzz tip of nails every 2-3 days (hers grow like weeds), full groom & bath once a month. In between I do face, sometimes feet. She is kept modified puppy - #7 blade on body, 1/2 or 3/4" combs for legs, #15 blade for face (she's apricot & gets clipper burn if I use a #30), #30 for feet. All told I prob spend around 10 hrs a month or so. I had a black standard who took longer.
k-mendo.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sammy (11 months; 60 lbs) has been brushed every other day since he was a babe on a makeshift grooming table installed on our back porch. With the lure of a chewy, he has learned to hop up on the table and lie down while I go to town on his ears, tail, butt, etc..
Our new COVID adventure has been clipping.... wow. With an investment of really good clippers (Andis), except for his plume of a tail, I have shaved him down with a #5 blade. I use blunt nosed scissors around his eyes, boy parts, butt and toes. I do this once a week, because I do different areas each week. When he gets agitated, we quit until the next week.
Did I mention we live in a woodsy area with sandspurs, hitchhikers, fleas, mud?

Yes, it is a helluva committment, but he is worth it.
sammyforarticle.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Angus & Archie are my first SPOO’s, and I’ve decided to groom them myself. (They are 3-yr-old rescues, and we have had them just since November 2019.) It is a bit of a job, and I agree with the others, that the right tools can make all the difference. I clip once a month to keep their coats manageable. I don’t do anything fancy, just a 5 blade over body (10 in sanitary areas), and then a fairly fluffy top not. I struggle with shaping the ears just right, and they absolutely will not let me shave their faces. I would venture to say they’ve never had it done. I’m thinking of buying a small set of clippers that maybe aren’t so scary for them (I have a large pair of ANDIS which work great everywhere else). Curved scissors are a must for the top not. Despite brushing 2-3 times per week, they have suddenly begun having tangles in their ears. How does everyone handle those without torturing the poor dog?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts