Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all heard the warnings about how much grooming poodles take, and now with the COVID situation, I've seen a lot of y'all resorting to home grooming. So how much work has grooming been for you? On a daily, weekly, monthly and basis? What am I getting myself into when I get my standard poodle?

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
I truly hate it. Others love it.

We've resorted to the shortest clip possible without giving Peggy razor burn, and I'm counting the days until she's back in our beloved groomer's care.

With this extremely short clip, she's not seemed to need any brushing. Others may disagree with me on this, but I imagine it might vary by coat type.

Before we cut her right down, she had horrible mats, which took some effort. But since that first big cleanup we've been clipping her in 5-minute sessions every few days. I still can't get her face properly shaved and I've not even attempted to do between her toes.

Before lockdown, Peggy was going to the groomer every 4-6 weeks for about 2 hours. This will be the routine for the rest of her life.

All that said: I'd still take this over a shedding coat any day!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I used to have two standard poodles, sisters, until sadly one recently passed away (I couldn't really talk about it for weeks--i miss her so much!). Now I have one. Anyway for 12 years I did some grooming every weekend and brushed them every day. I tried out a lot of different clips! I have learned this: one is a LOT easier to groom than two! But of course I don't regret a minute of that, they enjoyed the grooming process and it's kind of a bonding time. Now that I have one standard poodle, it's a lot less grooming but I still bathe her every 2nd week, clip her about every 3 weeks and brush her often. It's good to go over them often to keep mats at bay and also to look for burrs, prickles and ticks.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have a mini and I home groom. I personally really enjoy it. It's more of a hobby for me because I enjoy trying different cuts. I was watching groomers on youtube for many years prior to getting a poodle. Daily maintenance is cleaning any eye residue, apply dental gel, and sometimes a brush out. During coat change it will require a daily brush out. Not more than 10 minutes, though brushing a standard is longer.

Weekly maintenance for me is bath, blow dry, and brushing out. I also do clean feet and face touch ups weekly because I like a clean look. Also nail clipping, ear cleaning, and touch up sanitary trim. Total for these weekly things probably comes out to 2 hours, but many people only do these every two weeks.

Once a month I do a full body trim. It's an hour for bath and blow dry and then probably two hours for the clipping. I always do maybe 30 minutes of touch up the next day after I've observed how the fur settles.

I do more than the bare minimum. There are some points where you can cut time out if you are not picky about appearance, but I would bet for a standard you are looking at these times or more because it's a bigger dog. I kept Misha clipped down with a 10 blade for a little while, and that did make things easier because baths were fast, there was no blow drying, and no brushing needed. But then your dog will look like a pointer... and you will miss the fluff after some time!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Hi, there's a thread with a similar question with additional replies here:

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
For 2 toy poodles, it takes me about 3 hours per month just for the grooming (face, feet and tail + body). Then bathing and nail trimming is another 1-2 hours. I don’t dry them though.

So in total, I would say 5 hours per 4-6 weeks for both my dogs. I suppose a standard takes around the same time as 2 toys, but I’m not a groomer.

I pluck the ears every 2-3 months, so add another 45 minutes for that once in a while. And emptying Beckies’s glands every 3-4 weeks takes 5 minutes.

I enjoy doing it most of the time (except the glands, lol).

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
I have groomed my own poodles for 15 years. It is more difficult if you do not have the right tools, I only got better tools over three years ago. I bathe my three toys every other week, doing a sanitary trim every week. Doing a full groom once a month. A bath, dry and tidy roughly an hour and half. Full groom can be an hour each, that being with a longer coat, summer trims infinitely less trim as every one is clipped short.
I have it down to a science now

·
Registered
970 Posts
I planned on grooming my 4 yo spoo from the start. I piecemeal the different grooming tasks, mostly due to limited time but also out of kindness to my dog. I’ve learned to not be bothered by a half groomed dog. Most non-poodle owners don’t even notice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, there's a thread with a similar question with additional replies here:
I won't lie, my favorite look is what I call the "pony", with a full mohawk and ankle cuffs

Someone please educate me on whether this look has a name!

I can only imagine that this will take way more work than a normal groom, especially on a daily basis (especially on the ankles... I can only imagine the mats those cuffs get...)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I truly hate it. Others love it.

We've resorted to the shortest clip possible without giving Peggy razor burn, and I'm counting the days until she's back in our beloved groomer's care.

With this extremely short clip, she's not seemed to need any brushing. Others may disagree with me on this, but I imagine it might vary by coat type.

Before we cut her right down, she had horrible mats, which took some effort. But since that first big cleanup we've been clipping her in 5-minute sessions every few days. I still can't get her face properly shaved and I've not even attempted to do between her toes.

Before lockdown, Peggy was going to the groomer every 4-6 weeks for about 2 hours. This will be the routine for the rest of her life.

All that said: I'd still take this over a shedding coat any day!
Wow, I guess I'll only know how I really feel about grooming when I get my poodle! I hope I fall in with the owners who love it, but good to know that poodles are worth it no matter what :)

If I can ask, before lockdown, what did your at-home grooming routine look like? Or were those trips to the groomer enough to keep things under control?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Haha that one is literally just called a pony clip. I think the grooming for that is intermediate on a daily basis but intensive for the full body trim because of the scissoring involved. I love watching YouTube videos of grooming. But I found out that the "demo" dogs are typically unusually calm. My dog is not! It is different when your model has no patience. Takes more time. And you have to break it up.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
If I can ask, before lockdown, what did your at-home grooming routine look like? Or were those trips to the groomer enough to keep things under control?
I've pretty much always done the baths, those about every two weeks. We'd go to the pro groomers about every 2-3 months and could put that off that long since we kept them fully combed and brushed out every few days. I'd trim around the eyes, the topknot, feet, and sani areas as needed between groomings using round tip scissors.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
I have always groomed my own poodles so no change, I have cut my own hair since I was a teenager have I given a bad haircut yup, it's just hair.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
If you don’t mind the longer hair on the face (which I can’t tolerate, I find it un-hygienic because food sticks and it smells), you can easily go 2 months without having a full groom.

But you will need to brush regularly so your dog doesn’t get matted. I think it’s a pity some owners don’t brush well enough between grooms and the dogs have to suffer. People should get a lab if they don’t intend to brush, not a poodle...

Poodles are among the highest maintenance dogs in the world without a doubt, and probably at the top of the chart. Grooming costs a lot of money, and doing it at home takes a lot of patience and time. This is something to really think about before getting one.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
My response to people when they asked me about getting a Standard Poodle is that they should like to groom, or be able to afford to pay someone else to do it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I will also say that if you home groom, you'll start to get very frustrated with any incompetent poodle and doodle owners you run into. You'll fight back the urge to lecture them about how their dog's face is a gross matted mess from eye drainage, and how their dog's hair is full of web matting. How the toenails are so overgrown that their dog can't walk properly. How their dog desperately needs a sanitary trim because their butt is covered in feces. How the overlong hair on their dogs mustache is constantly getting sucked into its mouth, causing dental decay and smelling like a sewer... I could go on and on. Makes me cringe to see it.

People who meet Misha are constantly talking about how amazingly fluffy he is, and how he "must have just come from the groomer." I'm always like haha... no I just brush him frequently. They laugh and say they hate brushing, while their matted dog stands there with them. Oh, yes, I can tell. 😢

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will also say that if you home groom, you'll start to get very frustrated with any incompetent poodle and doodle owners you run into. You'll fight back the urge to lecture them about how their dog's face is a gross matted mess from eye drainage, and how their dog's hair is full of web matting. How the toenails are so overgrown that their dog can't walk properly. How their dog desperately needs a sanitary trim because their butt is covered in feces. How the overlong hair on their dogs mustache is constantly getting sucked into its mouth, causing dental decay and smelling like a sewer... I could go on and on. Makes me cringe to see it.

People who meet Misha are constantly talking about how amazingly fluffy he is, and how he "must have just come from the groomer." I'm always like haha... no I just brush him frequently. They laugh and say they hate brushing, while their matted dog stands there with them. Oh, yes, I can tell. 😢
Oh dear... I'm already so frustrated with doodle owners for owning a doodle...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those of you that regularly home groom, how did you learn to do it? I'm terrified of giving my poodle razor burn and just generally making grooming a really terrible traumatizing experience.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Those of you that regularly home groom, how did you learn to do it? I'm terrified of giving my poodle razor burn and just generally making grooming a really terrible traumatizing experience.
You just go very slowly to build your confidence. I would have Merlin groomed and then do the upkeep until he needed another one. And then slowly over time, I built enough confidence in my ability to do everything.

There are many good videos to learn from on Youtube. Just find one groomer you like and watch all she has.

Make sure you buy good material, like a clipper that will not get too hot, too fast, and strong enough for a poodle’s coat, like a Bravura or Andis.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
It's a long one but I recommend this thread. Several of our members had to try their hand at grooming for the first time, and did quite well considering the lack of experience:

There are several other similar threads in that same time frame so you can get a front row seat :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts