Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a standard, I'm curious how long it takes you to brush your dog? And how long to bathe? Cleo still has her puppy coat (she's 7 months). It takes me 20-30 minutes each day to do a thorough brushing, closer to 30 if she's been out in the rain. And it takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours for a bath with no trimming after. Half of that time is drying her! I use a good pet hair dryer, but it still takes forever. I bathe her every 3 weeks or so.

I wondered if this is the expected time for these tasks, and will it get longer or shorter when she has her adult coat? When she's an adult, will i need to dry her even if i want her to be curly?

(I'm going to post a funny pic of her in the bathtub in the 52 weeks thread.)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
The amount of time it takes to groom a poodle is very dependent on the pattern your dog is in, the length of the hair, and the thickness of the coat. I have two Standards. Even if they are in the exact same pattern, and their coats are the same length, my parti takes twice as long to groom because his coat is incredibly thick. Blow drying even with a force dryer can easily take two hours. When combing him out takes more than three hours, I cut his coat down. I rarely comb out, clip, scissor, and bathe in one day. It is just easier for me to break it into steps over several days.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts