Poodle Forum banner

How much taller will Chloe get?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Rose n Poos 
#1 ·
Chloe is currently 6.5 months old. She is 21” at the withers (27” tall with head) and about 40 lbs.

How much bigger can I expect her to get? She’s still definitely smaller than her parents. Not sure if she’s just going to be small or if she’s a slow grower. This is my first standard.

thanks for any input!
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver

See less See more
#2 ·
It probably depends on a lot of factors... I'm new to dog ownership, but my understanding is size is based not just on parents' sizes but also possibly grandparents, too. It's all genetics. I'm sure someone with more experience can share some charts/graphs that indicate typical growth patterns. If she's healthy and your care providers don't have concerns then I'd say it's much like being a parent to human children-- you trust their process and enjoy the ride! 💚

#4 ·
My standard was, I would say, about 75% or maybe 80% of the way to his current height at about 7/8 months (he's 27in at the shoulder now at 14 months). Given that I think you can expect her to hit somewhere around 23/24in at the shoulder (total guess-timate because I am bad at math).

Usually their adult hormones will start kicking in with the coat change and around 10 months, and they will have another small growth spurt. After about 12-18 months I think you are getting close to your final measurements, especially for females who will tend to mature faster.

#6 ·
Oona definitely grew taller after 6 months. I don't have good records of her height progress but at 5 months she was 32 lbs (don't have height) ; by 9 months she was 23 inches and 42 lbs, and now at almost 15 months she is about 24-25 inches and 53 lbs. Most of her recent gain has been muscle but she definitely grew a few inches between 6 months and a year.

#8 ·
Some charts I usually add for "typical" growth.

HEIGHT CHART FOR STANDARD POODLES

AGE IN MONTHSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS12 - 13 INCHES
3 MONTHS14 INCHES
4 MONTHS18-19 INCHES
6 MONTHS21+ INCHES
FULL GROWN (USUALLY 24 MONTHS)24-27 INCHES

Standard poodles can take up to 2 years to finish growing and filling out.

Of interest in the graph below is how the Standard Poodle reaches 90% of it’s full height very quickly, within 6-7 months. However, after that point, it can take another year of more to grow their last 10 percent.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.