Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering - how much is dog-boarding in a nice facility in your state and how much is dog-boarding at somebody's home ???

I was lately doing research about that in the Bay Area and am pretty shocked with the amounts involved :smow: I will most definitely need those services in the future and it now worries me ...

Just wondering if that is the norm, or again, CA has exaggerated pricing :wacko:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Myrtle Beach SC

Boarding - Canine Command Center

I thought I would just post the link - this is one of 2 that I may use JUST IN CASE:) It can add up, but I kind of liked what this one offered for the money if you chose to do extras.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
A friend of mine breeds and shows Samoyeds in breed and agility, and even does some sled racing. She also operates a small boarding kennel as well. I am lucky enough to work for her sometimes, and she charges an extremely reasonably rate.
Large dogs $18 per night
Small Dogs $14 per night

which equates to about $9 or $12 USD

I would feel completely comfortable leaving any dog with her, and would highly recommend her to anyone. She and her husband are really nice people, and know how to handle dogs.
I do not know if this is any help to you because it's in a different country :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, it ranges here from around $10-$20 NZD per night, depending on if you go to the big crappy places, or the smaller more personalised places!!! lol
Oh, and I get $20-$25 a night for looking after a friends dogs... lol!

·
Registered
681 Posts
The dog sitter I used in NYC Metro area was $25/visit with a max of $75/day. We used her twice, Midge was very happy with her, it was just expensive. She walked her, fed her, brushed her and pet her. She did forget to crate her after one visit, and the stuff Midge destroyed, she did pay for through her insurance, since it was her mistake.

I have never boarded Midge. She prefers in home care. Now, I did get a flyer from a new pet sitter here in my neighborhood (Honolulu), which is $30/day for three visits, and additional $10/dog. I will probably take advantage of this service if we ever need to go off island for an emergency or a trip all together. Or, I may just have my friends' teenage daughter (they live 400 yards away, so I wouldn't even have to worry about parties or anything), come housesit for me instead, since my dogs love her.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I do in-home boarding for my clients (one dog at a time) and I charge $20 per day. <If they are non-shedding, the dogs get the run of my house with my own poodles> It has been a phenomenal success and I'm booked up for the whole summer usually.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for the info : ) !!!!

I guessed right - IT SUCKS TO LIVE IN CALIFORNIA (Bay Area in particular - it is 50-65 $ a day(or more...) !!!!!!!!!!!!!) :fish:

I will ship my puppy to Olie LOL- it would cost me more than 3 times less with shipping included !!!!! :)

JAK and Flying : ))) - I wish you are not so far away !!!! LOL

Kanata : ))) - would you mind moving to my place ??? LOL

And if I ever start a business - it is going to be a pet-sitting :wacko:

Joking to the side - it is now a big obstacle for me : (((.... I will definitely have to wait till autumn to get a puppy * sigh... oh well...

Thanks again to all that chirped in :rose:

·
Registered
875 Posts
ha ha ha Wishpoos, you will probably throw up reading my response.
:fish: The place I used to work at is a crummy little petstore that sold puppies, kittens, birds,reptiles, rodents and the like. Although I do not agree with this type of store, they had the cleanest, most efficently run boarding kennel I have ever seen. The kennels were spacious, the dogs were let out into a yard one at a time (or however many were in their "family" ) to potty and run around multiple times a day.

The kennel tech would come in at 7 in the morning, and let each dog out for about 15 minutes while she cleaned their indoor kennel and filled the food and water bowls. after all the dogs had been rotated she would let each dog out again in a constant rotation until noon, when the dogs whose owners requested a midday meal would be served, and every dog got a treat of some sort, and the lights were turned off for an hour (naptime) then she started all over again until 5:30 when the dogs got dinner, one last turn out, and were put up for the night.

It is 9 dollars a day for small dogs, 10 dollars a day for mediums, and 11 or 12 for large dogs. LOL

another place I worked only had 6 "kennels" and the rest of the dogs were boarded in crates, let out into runs twice a day, fed twice a day, and thats it

The rates were 9 dollars for cats, 12 for small dogs, 14 for mediums, and 15 for large dogs

The vets office I work at has spacious kennels, and the dogs are let out 2-4 times a day, little interaction with the techs, and it is almost twice the price.

·
Registered
918 Posts
We usually hire a dog walker to come HERE 2 times per day. She charges $15 per walk. Nat is small so we don't have to pay extra for the 2nd dog. I usually fill in with my son's teenage friends... they are free and practically live here anyway LOL. The dog walker feeds, walks, medicates, and brings in mail/packages. The kids play, watch tv with, and cuddle the dogs.

This was of course when the GR was alive still. We've not done it with Jasper yet. We had boarded a couple of times, at various facilities, and without fail they would always come home a nervous wreck. The GR and Nat did sooooooooooo much better getting to stay in their own home while we were away.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks everybody for the info : ) !!!!

I guessed right - IT SUCKS TO LIVE IN CALIFORNIA (Bay Area in particular - it is 50-65 $ a day(or more...) !!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I will ship my puppy to Olie LOL- it would cost me more than 3 times less with shipping included !!!!! :)

JAK and Flying : ))) - I wish you are not so far away !!!! LOL

Kanata : ))) - would you mind moving to my place ??? LOL

And if I ever start a business - it is going to be a pet-sitting :wacko:

Joking to the side - it is now a big obstacle for me : (((.... I will definitely have to wait till autumn to get a puppy * sigh... oh well...

Thanks again to all that chirped in :rose:
Nat, Jasper and I would be happy to come house and dog sit for you in sunny CA :D.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet Jesus !!!!

I will just pack and move to one of Carolinas and leave my hubby here to enjoy
his fabulous CA !!!!! I tried to make him move for the past 6 years - no way Jose !!!!! Now that this state is literary falling apart he is willing LOL - but tough luck selling home now :fish:.... Ahhhhhhh...men !!!!!!:ballchain: Sheeeeshhhh...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HEY ROCK !!!!:):):)

Nice to hear from you : ))) !!!!

Yes... I think it could work with adult dog, but late July and beginning of August
puppy will (would) be just 4 months old !!! I just would not be comfortable leaving such a young puppy with so little supervision and occasional visit and he will definitely need somebody to be with him overnight : (((.

We all will be absent for 3 weeks *sigh, so he would be really on his own. If I had a Husky puppy, it would be almost no problem, but with all the care spoo needs :rolffleyes: regarding grooming and feeding and watering and you name it *sigh... simple home-visits would not work : (.

HEY _ but you offered LMAO !!!!!! He he heee- I have about 20 witnesses ; )))
!!!
Thanks buddy - I know that you would take him/her - wish we live closer !!!!
*HUGS

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I was wondering - how much is dog-boarding in a nice facility in your state and how much is dog-boarding at somebody's home ???

I was lately doing research about that in the Bay Area and am pretty shocked with the amounts involved :smow: I will most definitely need those services in the future and it now worries me ...

Just wondering if that is the norm, or again, CA has exaggerated pricing :wacko:

We are just so blessed with are CA pricing aren't we wishpoo! lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
Here in AZ it's $12 to $20 a day. And there are some very upscale places in Scottsdale that probably charge much much more. I have had some one come at stay at my home for $20/day.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL Roxy and PoodleLover : )))) !!!!

Some days I wonder if all of us in CA just "deserve" all of that for being stupid and living here LMAO :fish:

BTW - the Big One is overdue LMAO and we are still frolicking around happily pretending that it will not happen at all :doh:

We pay premium price to live in the next "Haiti" :wacko: ROFL !!!! Yeap - LOL, I just hope to end up in the "Poodle Heaven" instead of the "regular stuff", you know ; ))) LMAO

Oh well... "California dream" :closed_2:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
LOL Roxy and PoodleLover : )))) !!!!

Some days I wonder if all of us in CA just "deserve" all of that for being stupid and living here LMAO :fish:

BTW - the Big One is overdue LMAO and we are still frolicking around happily pretending that it will not happen at all :doh:

We pay premium price to live in the next "Haiti" :wacko: ROFL !!!! Yeap - LOL, I just hope to end up in the "Poodle Heaven" instead of the "regular stuff", you know ; ))) LMAO

Oh well... "California dream" :closed_2:

And even with all that, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I hate winters, I can't stand humidity. I would never be able to deal with hurricanes, tornados, floods, etc on yearly basis. With earthquakes, it will either happen or not and when it does you either make it or not, but in between it's perfect. I guess I am just a fatalist and whatever will be, will be.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ha ha ha : ))) !

Yes , but you know, USA is not the only place to be considered LMAO !

There are so many wonderful places with wonderful climates all over the world ;) he he !!!

I also could live in CO or inland NC with no problem :) !!! CO particularly impresses me with all that it can offer *sigh... AND - to live on HI is my ultimate dream :decision:

I "survived" more than one "cataclysm" in my life LOL, so I really would rather NOT go through one more LMAO !

1 - 20 of 45 Posts