Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't even begin to describe how much I've learned from this forum, I had never even heard of OFA or COI before joining the site, and I didn't even know that people fed raw meat to their dogs, and that is was better than kibble! I didn't know that breeders did dewclaws/tails themselves.

I didn't know what I was expecting when I joined the site, but as a future puppy buyer I'm very happy with the knowledge I've gained on how to look for a good breeder. I don't even think I knew the cont. cut pattern before I joined, just what it looks like, but now I feel that if I had to do one (on a pet, not a show dog) I could do it!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I don't think I could cover it all! Cbrand alone has been more valuable than a library of Poodle/dog breeding books. Roxy has been a great help too. I've learned what to look for in a pedigree, what health tests need to be done, what to look for in structure and movement, the list goes on and on and on.... I've learned so much about grooming and the groomers here are so helpful. I've made so many online friends. This forum is truly wonderful!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yes I've got to thank the forum as well for increasing my knowledge in many things like the PHR which I didn't know about before I joined the forum. My biggest source of learning though was all the information that you guys shared with me when Sport was sick. I wouldn't have even know he was ill if you guys hadn't warned me and told me to take him to the vet. I know he didn't make it in the end but at least this way I tried and that is so much better then it could have been. So thanks for sharing all the information and support.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Where do I begin? I had no idea that certain colors shouldn't be bred to certain other colors, that there are SO many different ways to groom a poodle, that minis can be so charming, that some colors do better in the ring than others, that there can be such thing as a non fading dark red (seriously, Ive never even seen an apricot let alone a RED spoo in real life), that there is SUCH a big size difference in spoos, that there are so many in rescue, that bloat and hip issues are so common, that it is so hard to find a decent groomer and that there are a lot of great ones on here, what to look for in a good breeder and how hard it is to find one, that byb's are everywhere, that poodles can have very different coat types, that there is such thing as a gay tail, that there are so many things to do with a poodle, that there is such thing as a poodle who doesn't like water, that doberman pincers have similar personalities to a spoo, that there are a ton of people a whole lot smarter than I am (not a shock, lol), that there are so many things that can go wrong healthwise and some things to watch out for, and on and on. This is truly an amazing community.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Learned too much to list but the latest is the info on an inverted vulva, which Poppy has, and that the best option is to wait until after the first heat until spaying as it may correct itself

I thank all of you for the knowledge you have shared. Even if it was not directly asked by me, reading it has helped grow my knowledge.

Now what to do with the little stuff that has been displaced by all the new knowledge. A brain can only hold so much you know. Anyone know my phone number?????

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
The most helpful thing have learned here is to get on the Poodle Health Registry. I have been keen on a few males who have been shot down in flames since getting on there and looking around. I have also had quite a few eye openers while on there learning about some people's breeding practices, when they profess to be genuine, responsible breeders. Also, my co-owner Trillium and I have discovered nearly every Spoo I grew up with, either living with or admiring from afar is on there, and it is way cool to check out their COIs and any health info that may be available. To me as a breeder, this knowledge is invaluable!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have learned that my Spoo is ther same as any other Spoo lol....his quirks, his bouncyness, his retrieving skills, his friendliness and just his all around smarts. I have also learned alot more about breeders and how not all of them are bad. Infact alot of them are out to better the breed and not just make a quick buck (like all of you here!).
I love that i have people to ask for grooming help and also to check out potential breeders for my next pup. Its just a great way to share our love for all poodles.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
There are so many things that I could list. I found Suri through this forum and I am very thankful. Poodles are truly an amazing breed that fascinate me daily. :)

Breeding is a hot topic here. I have learned so much about the die hard commitment thats involved in DOING IT RIGHT. That GOOD breeders put a great deal of blood, sweat & tears into it and along with that is a competitive side that shows it's good and bad!
In saying that there are a few here that I truly admire and appreciate their consistent stance, knowledge, dedication and genuine love for poodles and their future. This helps me identify the inconsistency as well. The biggest thing at this point is I KNOW now when I do get my next poodle - years from now I know what I need to do from beginning to end.

I have learned to TRY and see/understand different aspects of people's feelings on things they believe in that I may not have understood as well before.

The health of the poodle is critical and I would not know half of what I know now if it were not for many qualified, experienced members on here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts