Poodle Forum banner

how much groming does this require

6923 Views 18 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  akbirdy
Ok, newbie to spoo's here. I've been researching for a long time looking for the kind of dog we would like to adopt and have become in love with the standard poodle breed.

I keep reading on different sites conflicting info on how much upkeep a poodle's coat requires. I'm guessing this is because the amount of different styles? If you want the hair to pe poof like a cotton ball or to stay looking curly?

This is how I would like to keep my spoo hair (if I am lucky enough to get one!!)
http://parispoodles.com/sitebuilder/images/Rundle_hiking-454x336.jpg

Can you guys help me out and let me know what sort of maintenance this would require? Daily brushing? weekly washing? monthly cutting??? Do you have to brush them daily if you don't want their hair to do the poof? Or is it just a different type of brush you use??

Thanks so much! I really want to learn all this prior to making the decision of what type of breed we want to go with! After all we'll be together for years to come :)
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,686 Posts
I keep reading on different sites conflicting info on how much upkeep a poodle's coat requires. I'm guessing this is because the amount of different styles? If you want the hair to pe poof like a cotton ball or to stay looking curly?

This is how I would like to keep my spoo hair (if I am lucky enough to get one!!)
http://parispoodles.com/sitebuilder/images/Rundle_hiking-454x336.jpg
At that length, a poodle requires minimal brushing. I think you could get by with only brushing out once every two weeks. As the hair gets longer between cuts, though, you will need to brush more often to keep the matts away specifically from behind the ears and elbows and along the stomach and legs. The matting is worst during the coat change period from approx. 8 months to 18 months. During this time, it is best to simply keep them short.

Other grooming issues. It is vitally important to keep a poodle's field of vision clear. Poodles are smart, reactive dogs. Vision problems seem to lead to temperament issues. So keep the hair out of the eyes! This means the hair that grows on top of the muzzle as well.

Poodle feet need to be kept trimmed between the pads so that your Poodle does not pick up a bur or thorn. These can work their way into the foot and you end up with an abcess. Looking at the poodle in the picture, I think his feet need to be trimmed. He looks like he is wearing booties. You don't have to have a foot shaved with a #40 blade, but a #4 will keep him safe and keep the house cleaner too.

Poodles have velcro coats. They pick up a lot of debris and dust. I find that even if you don't brush, you might want to invest in a blower that can blow the dirt off the dog's coat. You might also get in the habit of keeping a slicker brush in the car to brush off things you might pick up on walks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.