Poodle Forum banner

how much groming does this require

6926 Views 18 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  akbirdy
Ok, newbie to spoo's here. I've been researching for a long time looking for the kind of dog we would like to adopt and have become in love with the standard poodle breed.

I keep reading on different sites conflicting info on how much upkeep a poodle's coat requires. I'm guessing this is because the amount of different styles? If you want the hair to pe poof like a cotton ball or to stay looking curly?

This is how I would like to keep my spoo hair (if I am lucky enough to get one!!)
http://parispoodles.com/sitebuilder/images/Rundle_hiking-454x336.jpg

Can you guys help me out and let me know what sort of maintenance this would require? Daily brushing? weekly washing? monthly cutting??? Do you have to brush them daily if you don't want their hair to do the poof? Or is it just a different type of brush you use??

Thanks so much! I really want to learn all this prior to making the decision of what type of breed we want to go with! After all we'll be together for years to come :)
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,008 Posts
The coat you first pictured is pretty short and I would suggest a weekly brush on it. What you may not see in the picture is that you may need to trim the foot pads otherwise lots of dirt & water will be tracked in and the hair between their foot pads can make it slippery. Dogs have 2 types of sweat glands. The first type is called merocrine glands. These are located in the foot pads of dogs (and cats) and function to help cool the animal. The second type is called apocrine glands. These are located on most of the rest of the dog (and cat) but they do not function to cool the animal. Their purpose is to release pheromones. Keeping the foot pads trimed of hair helps them stay cooler. Also trim near the eyes to keep bacteria down. Personally I wipe the "eye boogers" and muzzle with a warm wash cloth every morning with a longer face. Always wiping down away from the eye and muzzle. You don't want to train the hair to grow toward the eye if you wipe that way. Also keep the mouth trimmed up so that the hair is not caught in the eating process and reduces bacteria that can cause other problems.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Gauze is fine, I just don't want to pay for them for everyday use. Some people wipe sideways from inner eye to ear. I actually get more of the booger when wiping down and toward the muzzle a bit to draw it out from the eye.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.