Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old is your poodle and how much do they sleep?

Sometimes I worry Peggy sleeps an abnormal amount. She’s up for whatever I ask of her, but at almost 2 years old, she can easily sleep 12 hours overnight, crashes again for a couple of hours after breakfast, often goes down for another deep snooze in the afternoon, and spends much of the evening—you guessed it—sleeping.

We’ve kept in touch with some of her puppy class peers, and they seem much harder to tire out, despite being the same age. Is this normal for a standard poodle? Maybe it’s just the transition to adulthood that’s a bit of a shock...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Bobby is pretty much up for anything, anytime but he’s totally a snoozer if much isn’t going on. He’s actually pretty mellow unless there’s excitement going on. He just follows our cues. Some days he sleeps a good share of the day, especially if just one of us home. I’m actually able to get housework, etc done. He tends to be more awake when we are both home. If there is fun stuff going on, such as when grandchildren are over, he will be up most of the day and then he is super pooped after everyone leaves. It’s really all about what’s going on. As long as we regularly exercise/walk him, he really is quite accommodating and is happy to snooze the day away. He typically goes to bed around 8:00pm and is up to eat and potty at 5:30 am, like clockwork. He snoozes some more after that and depending on what’s happening will determine the length of the morning snooze. I have no doubt Bobby sleeps as much as Peggy a lot of days. 😉

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dogs sleep like 14 hours a day. They're crepuscular so they sleep at night and during the day and are awake at dawn and dusk. Perfect for work schedules! And puppies can sleep like 20 hrs a day... I'd say peggy sounds pretty normal

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
115 Posts
Winnie is 5 months and really only sleeps deep during the night. She sleeps in the evening from 9 or 10 in the family room until 11 or 11:30 then last trip outside and bedtime. I get up with her at 6 for a quick trip out and then back to sleep for a few hours. Breakfast at 8, lunch at 12 and dinner at 5 with a few light naps thrown in during the day. This girl has a bad case of FOMO and will get up if she senses any one moving about. I would be surprised if it all adds up to 13 or 14 hours AND that's with mandatory crate time. 😳

·
Registered
759 Posts
She sleeps maybe ~18 hours when she's home with me and there's nothing going on.

When I go back to work she'll probably get 10-12. (Sigh).

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing about Ziggy! He is 16 months and now sleeps constantly during the day. He doesn't seem to sleep too much at night though. We both go to bed around 10 and if I'm not up by 7, he will stare at me and yawn louder and louder until I am up.

I think he is only a early riser because he LOVES breakfast. Other than meal time zoomies, he is content to sleep. He will jump up to follow me to a different room, but will immediately settle down to sleep again.

His energy is still high when anything exciting is happening, but I have been so surprised at how much he has settled down over the past month or so.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,719 Posts
At nearly 11 years old, Mia sleeps around 20 hours per day. It's quite lovely, as it means that I can influrnce her schedule with planned play time, knowing that she will sleep, and I can work, afterward.

This was not the case when she was younger and would often come to me insisting on activity. I didn't have the opportunity to measure her wakefulness as consistently as I do now.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
249 Posts
Tekno sleeps sooo much especially if he socializes at all. Pretty much if you pick him up or put him on something comfortable he zonks out 😂 but when he’s awake he’s high high octane

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
Poppy is 11.5, and has liver failure, so sleep - or at least snoozing - is important for her. She sleeps deeply from after her supper at 8pm to around 6.30-7.30am, with a pee outing before we go up to bed and occasionally another in the early hours. During the day she mostly snoozes, waking up for meals, walks, and if I suggest anything interesting. I would estimate that she needs to sleep or snooze for up to 20 hours a day. Sophy is similar, as long as she gets enough exercise and stimulation - if not she gets bouncy in the evenings and needs another hour or two of fun stuff.

I think I would only worry if Peggy did not want to run or play, and was not interested when you proposed an outing. She is settling into adulthood, and you give her an interesting life - as we all know it is not just exercise that is needed to settle a dog but training games, new sights and smells, and all the other things that work the brain as well as the body.

Reactions: Ava. and eeeeeek

·
Registered
71 Posts
Whiskey sleeps 10 at night to 4.30 in the morning. We force him to snooze til 5.30 because no one in the house is ready to wake up that early. Throughout the day he takes very short naps (5 minutes max) but mostly keeps an eye on me, ready to move when I flinch a muscle. He doesn’t sleep more than 12 hours if I add it all up...I wish he’d sleep more..

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Annie (2) sleeps a ton. Far more than she did at 1 I think. I get up at 9, she goes out then runs to jump up and sleep on my mom's bed or the couch until 10 or 11 am, goes out for a second pee, then sleeps on the couch until 2 ish. Midday she is usually awake for a bit, barking at squirrels or whatever. Then we go somewhere she can run off leash for 30-60 min, come home, she eats, lies on couch and mostly sleeps for an hour, eats more, maybe is up and doing things, more likely napping, then we walk at 8 pm, play toys a bit or train, then she sleeps more on the couch, then she tells me to go to bed at 11! I honestly don't know what happened to my crazy teenaged dog. I would guess she sleeps or doses 18 hours a day. I would say Trixie sleeps about 16 hrs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't think Topper sleeps enough! He definitely suffers from Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO). He's nearly 7 months old. We put him to bed in his crate between 7 and 8 p.m. I take him out for a potty between 10 and 11 - I try to wait until I hear him stirring before I take him out. He sleeps until he hears my husband get up and use the bathroom at 4:30 or 5 a.m. He doesn't usually go back to bed; instead he and Andy snuggle or play quietly until I get up at 9. Then Topper thinks it's time to party. We play and do some training till he starts biting, then he goes into the crate to nap for another hour or two. After lunch, it's time for a walk or nose work, then playtime. We nap again for an hour or so in late afternoon. That adds up to 11 to 12 hours. I think Topper needs to sleep more, but Andy doesn't like to put him in his crate, and keeps waking him up if the pup falls asleep on the couch or in his bed. It's been easier to train the puppy, frankly.

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
Asta is a snoozer too, maybe 16 hours. Even though sleeping he tries to snuggle up close to me. He will also wake up when he senses something is going on Doesn't want to miss out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I should not have responded to this thread. I think I jinxed myself! Ziggy has been VERY awake today.
No, I do not want to play tug while I am eating my lunch, thank you for the many offers.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should not have responded to this thread. I think I jinxed myself! Ziggy has been VERY awake today.
No, I do not want to play tug while I am eating my lunch, thank you for the many offers.
Lol. Definitely jinxed myself. Shortly after I started the thread, Peggy brought me the newspaper, section by section. Then she brought me two magazines. Phone time over!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mr. Layne is 2 years old. When in the yard he is either patrolling or sitting on the hill staring very intently in the window as if he can move us with the powers of his mind to open the door... he wants in. If he's in the house he paces around for awhile, gotta check the doors, look for monsters who might peer into the windows, etc... then he lays down... & will be sound asleep. If I go lay down & take a nap, he comes into the room or lies in the hallway for a nap. If we're not doing something he'll go to sleep but the minute he thinks we're up for action he is on his feet ready to party!

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
I think mine have now reached the age of looking forward to naps. Poppy is decidedly more enthusiastic about walking back to the nice warm cosy car crate than away from it, and as she gets a treat at both ends I don't think it is just that association. And when I was not feeling particularly well the other day and suggested to the dogs that once I had done X, Y and Z we should go up to bed for a snuggle and a zizz Sophy mithered me until I did as I promised, and was first one up the stairs. Even the suggestion that, having accidentally got up ridiculously early, the first pee break of the day should be followed by another hour in bed rather than breakfast was greeted with approval instead of groans of anguish!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts