Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Pepper weighed last week during her check-up after she was spayed and she came in around 8 pounds, at 6.5 months old.

I asked the vet what she figured she'd eventually weigh and she guessed 10 pounds.

My web research is telling me minis are generally in the range of 15-17 pounds, so 10 would be on the small side.

But I'm also thinking, there's no way she's done growing since she's only 6.5 months old. I'm thinking the vet must be underestimating her final weight.

What does your mini weigh?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Darcy is 5 pounds at 10 weeks old. So I would guess your girl is on the small size. Toys and Minis are defined by height rather than weight anyway, with Toys being Under 10 inches at the shoulder and Minis 10 to 15 inches at the shoulder. So your girl may be on the light side but could still be a Mini size if she's tall enough.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My mini is 15-16 lbs. He's on the tall end of the standard too. Look at her parents, see how big they are and you'll get a good idea of her final size.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Lincoln is about 14" tall, and only 13 lbs. Tsuki is about 7" tall (I think, I'm not really sure) but only 8 lbs - and she's a toy.

Tsuki will be 1.5 next week... Lincoln a few weeks afterwards.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Tate is 10.5 inches tall, so technically a mini... but he only weighs 7-8 pounds. (He's also about 5, we think.)

I've found through here and other research that the difference between minis and toys is really... inches :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Weight does tend to vary and looking at the parents is a good guess. I was anxious to know Zulee's adult weight too. She is from toy breeding stock, but kept growing to 12". She weighs 11 lbs at 10 months. I'm thinking this will be her adult size.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Titan was 7 lbs at 4 months. I was told that a general rule would be to double their 4 month weight, and that number should be their adult weight. HOWEVER, Titan is close to 11 months, and is now 15 lbs and 12" at the shoulder. I'm expecting him to gain an extra lb.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Weight does tend to vary and looking at the parents is a good guess. I was anxious to know Zulee's adult weight too. She is from toy breeding stock, but kept growing to 12". She weighs 11 lbs at 10 months. I'm thinking this will be her adult size.
Zulee can be Tate's tall, leggy, younger trophy wife? lol

Ahem... do you think she will fill out and gain a little more?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Panda was 8.4lbs at 10 and a half weeks old. I don't know what he weighs now (12 weeks tomorrow) as we don't have any scales. I think he will be a big mini, he has massive feet too! He looks like a standard in mini size at the moment as he has nice long legs ^_^

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Jäger is 6 month old and is 13.5 inches tall by 13.5 inches long, but only weighs 11.5 pounds. He is too thin (he's just not a big eater), but I'm trying to put a little weight on him.

Growth in small dogs often slows way down by 6 months of age. You mini might not get much bigger. How tall is she?

·
Registered
372 Posts
My mini was still growing at 8 and 9 months. I've always seen growth spurts around that age, and then again at 1.5 they seem to finish filling out.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Chagall is a big, strapping mini! He's 16" at the withers (over-sized, I realize) and 20 lbs. He's slim, long-legged and lovely to me! He's one year old on Monday (5/17) so a "Happy Birthday" to my great (as in marvelous) big baby!! His dad, American & Canadian Champion CABRYN Lone Ranger is a big fellow, his mom and grandmother are about 13" at the withers. He was the largest in his litter by far so I knew I was in for something big, just more of him to love!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Zulee can be Tate's tall, leggy, younger trophy wife? lol

Ahem... do you think she will fill out and gain a little more?
LOL! Oh, how she would love to have a bad boy in her life. I can only imagine the trouble those two could get into. It would be a blast to see them together.

She may have another growth spurt. She's been the same weight for a couple months, so I just figured she was done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts