Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a quick calculation, I realized that to feed my dog a high quality dog food, kibble, (I'm not in to the whole raw thing at all) it costs me about $0.34 a day, so about $125.00 a year. My little girl weighs 8 pounds & eats about 2/3rds of a cup of food per day. I feed Bailey Acana Pacifica. How many of you are jealous?? LOL!

The point I'm trying to make here is, many people feed their dogs lower quality food because its cheaper but, they don't realize that their dog eats more because it is full of "fillers. It probably costs the same amount over a 1 year period to feed a high quality food (as they usually eat less) as it does to feed a lower quality food.

Just wondering what PF members feed their dogs and roughly, how much does it cost you per year?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wow I'm jealous! Mind you I have a Spoo so he's going to eat more anyways.
I got him 8 months ago and am dealing with allergies, so I'm trying different foods out constantly. I'm on grain free Now. Which in my town is about $60 a bag. He's not a big eater, Maybe 2 cups a day (he's 27'' and only weighs 45 pounds! Don't know when he'll gain weight!)
But I buy the 25 pound bags. it *May* last a month, but generally not... SO I'm looking at $720 a year. And don't think this will be the food he stays with, which means it's only going to get more expensive :( I don't know what kind of foods to try-I'm not into the raw food thing. I mean I've never tried it but I'm vegetarian and the sight of all the raw meat would probably make me sick, I'd rather stick to good quality kibble

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have 2 lowchen, I will have a poodle soon. I feed raw and make their food. It is roughly $1 per pound and they costume a total of 13 ounces a day. Total $296 per year. Not bad for all human grade food that I would eat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sure, if you know what your dog is allergic to. My cost per year is based on one dog that is 15 pounds and one who is 12.5 pounds.

I started feeding raw about 4 years ago during one of the dog food recalls. It has worked out great for our family.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i feed raw to my five dogs. it's worth it.

oh and for my 17# dogs (which are the closest I have to 8# dog) i spend about 50 cents per day.

they get 6 oz of meat/bone/offal. i purchase ground w/bone & a blend of beef heart/liver/green tripe/other organ.

so if i had one small dog, i'd be in heaven. Right now my dog food bill is about $2k a year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ugh, I wish you hadn't made me think about this :) I feed my spoo Nature's Variety pre-made raw, with some RMB's here and there. The 3lb medallion bags are around $18 on average, and contain 48oz each. My spoo eats 10oz per day, so thats $3.75 a day, $26.25 a week, $105 a month, $1,260 a year. I guess that's a lot less than a child of equal weight would cost to feed :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I feed Sprout Acana Small Breed and he eats about 3/4 of a small bag/month. I free feed from 3/4 to 1 cup/day... @ 30$/bag.. math skills??

$270/year approximately + one large can of high quality canned food (which I vary)/week @ $4/can .... $208

Woah.. I seem to be spending a lot on food for my little 12lb guy.

$478/year unless my math is off.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ugh, I wish you hadn't made me think about this :) I feed my spoo Nature's Variety pre-made raw, with some RMB's here and there. The 3lb medallion bags are around $18 on average, and contain 48oz each. My spoo eats 10oz per day, so thats $3.75 a day, $26.25 a week, $105 a month, $1,260 a year. I guess that's a lot less than a child of equal weight would cost to feed :)
Wow, that's so much! On Fromm (at $60 for 15 kg bag) it costs about $720 a year for my big lab...

·
Registered
356 Posts
For one of my spoos it will cost about $250 a year to feed it raw meat...or about $400 per year to feed Iams (I wouldn't feed that to my dogs)
I was feeding my dogs raw for the last 6 months. It was so expensive. Just curious as to how it only costs you $250 a year??

·
Registered
768 Posts
I feed Panda a mix of raw and Ziwipeak. The raw alone would cost me £135 a year if I fed only the pet minces (although i buy him supermarket basics meats too) and the Ziwipeak alone would cost me £440 a year! Big difference hey! I only feed the Ziwipeak when we haven't defrosted any raw or when we are travelling with him (which we do several weekends a month for flyball).

Overall I would say I probably spend about £300-400 a year....hmm I could probably get that down but I like giving him fresh lamb from the supermarket ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
We are feeding our 3 the same food, it is a grain-free, all stages food. Performatrin Ultra, a blend of turkey, duck and salmon-no artificial ingredients which helps with food sensitivities. It is $70.00 for the big bad (12kg) and lasts for about 3 weeks. So is about $1200 a year, or $100 a month for 3 dogs. About $400 per dogs per year, although the all eat different amounts, Bruiser the chihuahua gets 1cup, Peanut the dalmatian gets 2 cups and Sully our 3 month old standard gets 2 1/2 - 3 cups per day.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a senior (almost 11 years old), 10 pound Miniature. She eats a decent amount, not too much or too little but I make sure to feed high quality food. I feed 1/2 cup dry food (rotating between several brands) and 1/3 cup Ziwi Peak each day. Occassionally will give fresh raw meat and veggies too.

For dry food: 3.5 pounds/month = 42 pounds/year. Dry food roughly costs $2.50/pound = $105.
For Ziwi Peak: 4 bags (each bag lasts 3 months) * $30/bag = $120.
Total $225 / year = $0.62 / day.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
We feed our boys a mixture of hard kibble and soft can food. Usually we split a can in the morning between the boys and free feed them the kibble for the rest of the day. It costs about $1.50 a day for the both of them. Of course, they are small so they don't eat that much.

Teddy, the puppy currently weighs 11.8 pounds! Pepper is full grown and he weighs about 6.5 pounds. He is a little fellow! :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
This is an intersting topic. Lily is 11.8 lbs right now and I told the vet I was feeding 3/4 cup of kibble daily (turns out I was really feeding just over 1/2 cup. I have a scoop and mis-read when I measured it...) and the vet said 3/4 cup is enough for a 15 lb dog and he wanted me to keep an eye on her weight and even to bring her in to re-weigh in a few weeks to be sure that wasn't too much food for her. After I re-measured by scoop I realized she was only getting about 1/2 cup daily of kibble, so my vet will be happy ;) He doesn't want her to get over 12 lbs.
I am surprised to see that some of you feed more than that for miniatures and toys.

Cost for Lily's kibble last month was approx. 75 cents per day, but this month I got it on sale so it should be about 62 cents per day ;)

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
My toys are fed raw/home cooked. It averages out at around £0.18 each a day - approximately $0.27. So for two dogs that is about £130 / $200 a year - much less than a good commercial food!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I feed Carley raw. I don't know how you guys are doing it so cheap. I try to keep it at no more that $2.00 per meal... Today, I got her chicken breast for .99 a pound and was thrilled. If she eats beef or fish it cost more. My husband is a deer hunter, come this fall, Carley's diet will be mostly venison...

P.S. I do think a raw diet saves you on vet bills. Your dog is healthy and rarely has to have dental ect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts