Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to Clark's vet yesterday and she told me that he weighs 1.8 pounds. Clark is 10 weeks old. I asked the vet for an adult weight estimate and she guessed between 4 and 5 pounds. Clark is a toy poodle.

How much did your puppy weigh when you brought him home?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
My Remo, who is a smaller mini, came home at 2.3lbs and was almost 9wks. At 18wks he was 7.3lbs, at 7m he was 10lbs. Now at about about 17m, he weighs in abt 10.5 to 11lbs.

·
Premium Member
6,390 Posts
For the very reason toys are tiny and delicate I have had four puppies that were older when I brought them home.

Baby was an over sized toy was 6 1/2 pounds when I brought her home at 22 weeks finished at 10 pounds
Beatrice a toy was 4 pounds 6 oz when I brought her home at 17 weeks finished at 9 pounds
Pia a toy was 4 pounds 14 oz when I brought her home at 20 weeks finished at 8 pounds
Leonard a toy was 4 pounds when I brought him home at 18 1/2 weeks at 15 months he is 6 pounds

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the very reason toys are tiny and delicate I have had four puppies that were older when I brought them home.

Baby was an over sized toy was 6 1/2 pounds when I brought her home at 22 weeks finished at 10 pounds
Beatrice a toy was 4 pounds 6 oz when I brought her home at 17 weeks finished at 9 pounds
Pia a toy was 4 pounds 14 oz when I brought her home at 20 weeks finished at 8 pounds
Leonard a toy was 4 pounds when I brought him home at 18 1/2 weeks at 15 months he is 6 pounds
Yes, they are very delicate.

I'm a little bit nervous about hypoglycemia and accidentally injuring Clark.

I'll just have to treat him like a fragile human infant.

·
Premium Member
6,390 Posts
I work so I ended up bringing Leonard to work with me the first week I had him and I spent 2 1/2 weeks at home with him, he lost 4 oz that first week, he had a UTI as well, I had someone come during the day to feed him for several months. Little guys need to eat 3 to 4 times a day as puppies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pixie was 2.13 lb at 17 weeks (first recorded weight) - she is now 3.75 lb (2.5 yo); Cricket was 1.78 lbs at 10 weeks - and she is now 3.08 lb (1.5yo).
I was working full time when I got both pups, and they were fed 3 times a day. I did not always have the ability to come home during my work day, but I made sure that they had some sort of slow feeder that they were able to use easily at all times (usually just a kong with some tinned food). My housemate was also home 90% of the time. Neither dog had any problems with hypoglycaemia (or any other major health concerns). I am very careful with them, but would not consider them 'fragile'. Collars with bells worked well when they were little and learning to stay away from feet, and I never let them jump on / off the couches (they were taught to use stairs early on).

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I got mine when older as well they are now 3.5, 5, and 6.5. Also I never allowed them to jump on or off furniture or laps, or in or out of the car. They are trained to walk behind me to feet to the left, so I do not step on them or they trip me. I feed them 2 times a day, and recommend if a tiny toy training for potty patch, makes life so much easier, as 2 of mine do not want to go out when raining or snowing. I put snowsuits or coats on in the winter. The first work I taught them was drop it (as Cayenne would pick up any object in her mouth)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got mine when older as well they are now 3.5, 5, and 6.5. Also I never allowed them to jump on or off furniture or laps, or in or out of the car. They are trained to walk behind me to feet to the left, so I do not step on them or they trip me. I feed them 2 times a day, and recommend if a tiny toy training for potty patch, makes life so much easier, as 2 of mine do not want to go out when raining or snowing. I put snowsuits or coats on in the winter. The first work I taught them was drop it (as Cayenne would pick up any object in her mouth)
We're using pee pads.
The breeder warned us about watching our dog carefully and never allowing them to jump from our arms or high surfaces. Clark has a beautiful parka as well.
Thanks for the great tips!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I think all of you who have such tiny little ones are very brave! The smallest puppy we have had was Lily who weighed nearly 8 pounds at 7 weeks old. Peeves head probably weighs more than some of your adults. Since I am a klutz I would be afraid of kicking them and/or falling by tripping over them if I had such small adults.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think all of you who have such tiny little ones are very brave! The smallest puppy we have had was Lily who weighed nearly 8 pounds at 7 weeks old. Peeves head probably weighs more than some of your adults. Since I am a klutz I would be afraid of kicking them and/or falling by tripping over them if I had such small adults.
Haha - I was worried at first (spend most of my time around horses so all dogs seem small to me), but there have really been no issues whatsoever. They learn pretty quickly to stay out of the way, and I don't wear shoes inside.

On the peepad issue - I'm not a fan just as don't like the idea of dogs peeing inside (ever - I just think its unsanitary), but have also never lived in areas where snow is an issue. Mine are both crate trained, and that was a very effective way of toilet training. They don't love going outside if its raining, but will (rough life :))

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Jasper was under 3 pounds. After a scare at the vet, I learned that he needed to be kept near a hot water bottle to keep his body temperature regulated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last night we went back to the vet as per the breeder contract stipulations.
Clark is now 2.6 pounds. He's eating so well and he loves freeze dried raw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts