Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I am new here (but not to dogs) so I have been reading backwards (well - not literally :)) and I have learned a lot about the general tenor of the Forum.

I understand about COE Breeding and health tests and no pet store/puppy mill puppies and how pricing can be affected by "Pet" or "Show" quality considerations.

Having said all that - how much did you pay for your last puppy?

Just curious - thanks in advance for sharing.

·
Registered
875 Posts
here is the breakdown:

Jamie: almost no testing on parents, full AKC rights= $1500
Brian: all testing, full AKC rights= $2500
Kaden: All testing, Co-owned until finished=$1200
Willow: All testing, co-owned until finished= $1500 and a puppy back
Gotti: bought from a BYB with no testing on dam (dad has all testing) full AKC $600 (is neutered now though)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is the breakdown:

Jamie: almost no testing on parents, full AKC rights= $1500
Brian: all testing, full AKC rights= $2500
Kaden: All testing, Co-owned until finished=$1200
Willow: All testing, co-owned until finished= $1500 and a puppy back
Gotti: bought from a BYB with no testing on dam (dad has all testing) full AKC $600 (is neutered now though)
Exactly what I wanted to know - it is interesting to see the price ranges so that someone wanting to purchase with testing doesn't get "sticker shock"

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I purchased Atticus on a neuter contract and without his AKC papers for $420. If I were to buy him with papers he would of been $1500. He also has an undecended teste that she told me about so she let me purchase him for cheaper knowing it costed more to get him neutered.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Vegas - standard
$1400, all testing, limited registration. $100 refunded upon neuter, $50 refunded for every title I put on him.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a mini, he was $1200. All testing, both parents CH., with a co-ownership. He has an undescended testicle, so if that hadn't been a factor he would have been $1600. I get the majority of my grooming free or discounted at their shop. I also like that I can call them for advice just about any day, any time and they will promptly return my phone call. They consider us a part of their extended family now. I would never get a dog at a pet store, but that's been ingrained in me since childhood.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mister Man is a cream Spoo and he was free! Well there really is no such thing as free lol. I got him at 8 months and his food needed to be switched right away (was on science diet, ewww) and he wasnt neutered either. I do all my own grooming so that saves me money but all the toys, treats,, kennel, etc....he isnt a free dog anymore lol.

The person i got him from got Mister (aka Sammy) from a byb breeder basicly. It was a mother and daughter who had the mom and dad Spoos and decided it would be fun to breed them so as far as i know he is not registered and the parents had no health testing...not even sure what breeder the parents came from. He is well put together but a small male spoo at only 48 pounds. His tail is alos docked WAY too short.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol, Paris was free.... haha!! No idea about testing though, her parents & grandparents are all champions as are half her great grandparents and the majority of the rest of her ancestors...

BUT I'd be expecting to pay around $1000 for her if I'd have bought her as a pup, and like I said I have no idea about the testing of the parents, they might be done but I simply haven't asked...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My poodle, like Mister and Paris, was "free". (Oh, you know... but I had to pay for his vet visit... and to get all his nasty matted hair chopped off, a crate, etc. etc. Thankfully he was already neutered!)

However, I would love to have been able to know who my poodle's parents are as well as his genetics. (Currently, he is in great health though, so let's hope he stays that way!) I've looked locally - which is really in the surrounding states, and for a poodle about his size from a breeder that tests their dogs, he would be around $1300.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The miniature poodle breeders I spoke to in Ontario were charging between $1000 and $1400 for their puppies from health tested parents.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I paid $250 for Desmond with CKC papers (lol not much, but hey). His parents are both registered (though I don't know his pedigree past his parents, I'd love to find out), and his dad is listed on the OFA website, but I don't know his results. $150-250 is the adoption fees around here, so he was as much money as a shelter dog, only I knew the environment he came from, knew his parents, and how he was raised the first 11 weeks of his life, and that he was a pure poodle, which was really nice to know. I'm not saying he came from a good breeder, because he didn't, but I am very happy we got him. He was a catch. :)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I know most of the standards in 'Ontario are about $1,200 to $2,400 and the higher price does nor necessarily reflect champion parents, health testing on the parents, nada!! The kennel where I got one of my males has no health testing on one side, and her companion dogs start at $2,200.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
We got Zulee as a toy, then she grew up!

She has a champion father. The mother doesn't have any titles. They were both tested for PRA. I was told by the breeder, references, and confirmed through outside research that her puppies were structurally sound in hips, patellas, and no addison's or vWd.

I also noticed that the breeder had mentored other breeders who are active in the show ring which just gave me a warm fuzzy that she was truly interested in bettering the breed.

We paid $1,000 with a limited AKC registration.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oh yeah, one of my old girls we were actually paid to take! 400.00 to take her and give her a good home. Her owner died of brain cancer and she was comfortable with us, and had boarded with us in the past. She came from show lines on one side (i got a brief glimpse of her papers 10 years ago) She did however bloat twice and was tacked at about 2.5 years of age (long before we got her) and she's got really bad ears that require constant maintainance above and beyond most poodles.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Toys are not usually cheaper than standards, because the litters are usually small--only two or three pups. I paid $1200 for Beau in 2005 for limited registration from a breeder who does all testing. I got Belle in 2008 from the same breeder for $1500. I have always maintained that the purchase price of a puppy will be the least of your expenses over the dog's lifetime--think veterinary care, grooming, food, boarding, etc. Some of those costs will be less for a smaller poodle. That said, get the poodle that warms your heart from a good breeder.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts