Do you own just poodles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just out of curiousity I was wondering. How many people on here are exclusively poodle owners...as it that is their breed of choice and that is the only breed for them.

How many people on here have poodles but own other breeds?

And so forth.

Feel free to share your poodle and dog stories and how your pack came to be.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I couldn't do the vote thing because it doesn't cover our situation. We had a golden retriever for 6 years before we discovered the best dog breed in the world; the poodle. When our GRD passes over the Rainbow Bridge, poodles will be the only breed I will have. Just can't beat them!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have two spoos at the moment, and I really love it. I think I will always have a spoo, but also look forward to having greyhounds, whippets, and maybe a border terrier in the future.

I voted for the second response.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have both. I love poodles but I also love a good mutt. (I like a good short haired sleek/somewhat muscular dog) So probably all my future dogs will be rescue/shelter mutts

Where poodles will always have a special place in my heart, I feel they aren't my top dog of choice. (Though I have had 3 great poodles and have known 6 altogether)

I love my poodle but I love having more than one specific type of dog in my home.

But that is just my personal preference. My poodle well I couldn't have another one after him, it would be too hard. I have never had a dog with so much personality. I don't think there is another dog out there with more personality than him

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I have a standard poodle and I will only ever own poodles ((the sizes may vary :D ))
BUT our family has a shih tzu and a lab/poodle mix ^_^

but poodles are the only breed for me xD

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I voted the third one, but in reality I don't actually have a poodle yet. Technically I don't have any breed of dog but my parents have a PWD who I consider to be partially mine.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
my first dog is still around, and she's not got an ounce of poodle in her. I didn't have a lot of choice with her, I was 13 and wanted a dog, so got the first one I could! lol! So I've started off without any option but the third one, though poodles are my breed of choice and what I always want to have around.

In saying that, I suppose cos hubby wants a GSD then the third option will still fit!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I love love love my girls but they are a Chihuahua and the other is a doxie mix! However once they pass i will be getting another Spoo. I got Mister about a year ago (he's almost 2) and i love him so much. He's everything i wanted him to be and he is my dream dog. I definately want him to have a sister in the future. Im not much for puppies so i will rescue a Spoo thats over a year (i got Mister at 8 months) so it will already be potty trained etc. They need homes too lol.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I feel exactly the same as Spoospirit. We also have a Rottie that we had 8-9 yrs. b-4 we also discovered what we feel is the best breed for us, the magnificent POODLE.
We love our Rottie, but just like Spoospirit and her golden retriever, after our Rottie passes over Rainbow Bridge, it will probably always be just poodles for us forever. We absolutely love everything about them.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I didn't have a lot of choice with her, I was 13 and wanted a dog, so got the first one I could! lol!
That is exactly how I got into tibbies, I wanted a dog to show and was supposed to get another mini schnauzer (didn't have a choice there either that was what momma allowed). Got into trouble over something I can't even remember and momma wouldn't get me another dog period until a good friend of ours suggested Ike and explained what a tibbie was and that he was a young adult that had been returned and was a lovely tibbie and a good option for a show dog. Mom fell in love with him and I saved up for two months to pay for half of him :) since that was the deal. You could have offered me a three legged dog at that point and 12 going on 13 yr old me wouldn't have cared :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
While I do have three non-poodles, poodles are still my one favorite breed. In the future, after these three have gone over the rainbow bridge....there will only be poodles in our family. I'm too used to letting Cisko and Ryder on the bed without getting hair EVERYWHERE! LOL!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I have 4.
2 Standards
2 pomeranians

Someday many years down the road I am sure I will own another poodle but I am not opposed to other dogs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I voted #3 and #4. I love dogs, purebreds, mutts, whatever I love them! I am absolutely in love with Cash. I know I want another poodle some day, most likely a standard but possibly a mini. We also have a golden who came to us as a stray and Pete they Pyr X. I'm about 99.9% sure I'll never have another Pyr or Pyr X again. Too indepenent for my liking, the desire to roam is just more than I care for.

I have always thought I'd like a greyhound, an IG, a border terrier, a border collie, and a dobe some day, and another boxer could be in there somewhere too.

It's a good thing I have some self control and a husband who can say NO or I might be the "crazy dog lady"! lol

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My first dog was not my choice. My sisters and I begged our parents to get us a dog. So one Christmas, when I was about 12, Dad brought home a little furry thing hidden in his hands. We thought, great, he got us a rabbit--but we wanted a DOG!. Well, it was a dog. It was a tiny little chihuahua puppy. She was adorable, but not exactly what we kids had in mind. We christened her 'Lady' because we had just seen Lady and the Tramp and apparently we weren't very imaginative kids in the area of dog naming.

Over the years, Lady became very snippy (and rightfully so, what with our two hyperactive young barefoot hillbilly cousins scaring the heck out of her every time they came over to visit) and I was the only person she wouldn't bite if someone needed to pick her up when she needed to be moved off the couch. So she became "my" dog by virtue of the fact that my sisters were terrified of her. I should clarify that I meant to say she wouldn't bite me every time. She could be a little piranha when she wanted to be. The only trick we ever taught Lady was to bark at the doorbell or if someone knocked on the door. We thought it was funny; our parents, not so much.

I showed Lady in a 4-H Club dog show at the state fair one year. She won best in show and received a trophy that towered over her head. Lady lived to be around 14 and died in her sleep one night. The vet said she had a heart attack. She was a beautiful little dog and I would and have considered getting another chihuahua.

Our next dog was inherited, and definitely wasn't the breed choice of any of my immediate family. My cousin had a dalmation. He was a very large dalmation, intact and not very well socialized. My uncle had been transferred from Texas to Michigan with his job and they couldn't take the dog with them, so my grandparents agreed to take him. My grandparents' yard flooded one year after a heavy spring rain and they didn't want the dog in the house, so they asked my dad if Patches could come and live at our house. And so he did. We did not have a fence all the way around our yard, so Patches had to be chained to the tetherball pole (which we girls had long since lost interest in using for its intended purpose anyway).

In retrospect, I feel really bad for Patches and the way he was treated by my family, but at the time, I was a young teenager who didn't know any better and had no power to do anything about it even if did know. I can't even remember what ended up happening to Patches. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think my dad ended up finding a better home for him with some people who lived out in the country. I'll have to ask him, but if I can't remember at my age, there's a good chance he won't be able to remember either.

Patches was hyper (mostly because of a lack of exercise and discipline) and would dig grave-sized holes in the backyard, which thrilled my father, as you can imagine. From that experience, I was able to cross that breed off my list. They are beautiful dogs, but they're not for me.

By the time Lady passed away, I was already married and out of my parents' house. One of my neighbors had two little apricot toy poodles who had just given birth to two little apricot poodle puppies. She knew how much I liked her dogs, and how much they liked me, so she decided to give me one of the puppies. That wasn't my first experience with poodles, however. When I was a kid, our next door neighbor had two toy poodles, one white and one silver. The white one had tear-stained eyes and bad breath and was a tad neurotic, and the silver one was short and fat. I wasn't crazy about either of them, and until I met the apricot toys my neighbor had, I had no desire to own a poodle.

During the time I had my poodle (his name was Aileron--so named because I was taking flying lessons at the time and it was my favorite aviation-related word), my marriage ended and I was back at my parents' house. I decided that I wanted a doberman. So I bought a little black puppy I named Frankie (no idea why) and constructed a pen for her in the backyard, much to the chagrin of my dad. She managed to escape from the pen one day and got hit by a car. I was devastated, but a few months later when the man I was dating told me that his brother's dobe had had puppies, I decided to get another one. The second one was a red female. She was gorgeous and I was determined that what had happened to Frankie would not happen to Charlie.

One day I was playing with Charlie and Aileron in the backyard, when suddenly Aileron spotted a jogger on the far side of the road in front of our house. Always the little socialite, he bolted to go and greet the man, and was hit by a car as I watched helplessly. He rolled under the car, then ran towards me, collapsing just a foot or so from where I was standing. I picked him up and he died in my arms. The driver didn't even stop.

So after Charlie escaped from the pen once, I decided that I would rather give her up to a better home than to see her lying on the side of the road dead. My heart could not have taken another death to the highway. As it happened, one of the techs at my vet's office had a young dobe that he was wanting to get a companion for. He lived out in the country and had acres and acres of open space. I missed her, but I knew she was safer with him.

A couple of years later, in 1987, I decided to move up north to Boston. I lived in apartments, often with roommates, and couldn't have any pets. When I finally got an apartment all to myself (in 1995), I adopted a cat. He was an orange tabby that I named Murphy. I love my cats, but in my heart, I always really wanted another dog. In late 1999, I moved to New Jersey. By 2003, I had three cats, but still no dog. I was working some crazy hours that involved frequent overnight trips to Philadelphia. Cats are perfect for that kind of lifestyle; dogs are definitely not.

The day after New Year's 2005, my cat Murphy died. I still had two cats, Gizzie and Mickey, and I decided that two is a good number. With three, my two males tended to tag-team my little female and it wasn't a fair fight at all. With two, they just played together and Gizzie could get away if she wasn't in the mood (although to be fair to Mickey, I witnessed several instances in which Gizzie was the antagonist). Then, in July of this year, Gizzie developed a squamous cell tumor on the base of her tongue. It was a very aggressive tumor and the vet told me she probably wouldn't last long. I took her home and fed her liquified food with a syringe. She hated it and I hated putting her through it, but the tumor had displaced her tongue so badly that she couldn't eat properly. It was a Thursday that I had first noticed that she couldn't keep her tongue in her mouth and by Saturday, she couldn't drink water or even eat the cat treats I was hand feeding to her. Mickey had stopped trying to play with her and was actively avoiding her. It seemed as if he knew something was seriously wrong.

I took her back to the vet's office that day and had her put to sleep. It was so incredibly sad, because she was a wonderful cat, but I've never been so sure that I was making the right decision as I was that day.

As I was leaving the vet's office, I saw a couple of older ladies sitting in the waiting room with a cat in a carrier. I noticed that one side of the cat's face was visibly swollen. They had overheard me talking to someone else about Gizzie's tumor and they told me that their cat had one too. We talked for a minute, me with tears streaming down my face and as I went to leave, one of them said, "She'll bring you another one to love". I really took that to heart and found comfort in it.

to be continued...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
continued

I had already been contemplating getting another dog for at least a year by this time, since work was less hectic and I was able to work at home whenever I needed to. My situation had never been more perfect for having a dog in my life. I had been "window shopping" to get an idea of what kind of puppies were out there and how much they cost, etc., etc., without really looking for anything specific, so I had some sites bookmarked on my computer. Did I want a puppy or did I want to rescue an older dog? So many decisions to make. The one thing I did know, however, was that the local shelters were sadly filled to capacity with pit bulls and similar dogs, and I knew I didn't have the right set up for a dog like that. I talked to a lady from a rescue organization at PetCo one day and, while I know they have the best interests of the dogs in mind, the idea of having someone come to my home to inspect it to see if I would make a good dog owner just rubbed me the wrong way. I love the work that these people do, but honestly, some of them around here can be kind of...what's the word I'm looking for? Militant, perhaps? I know that I can give a dog or a cat a great home and I don't need a stranger coming into my house and making judgments about me. Rightly or wrongly. I mean, a bad pet owner would not have spent ten grand on a rescued cat's vet bills, would they? Well I had, and I would have been more than happy to show them the proof. I know we have a real problem with people getting dogs for all the wrong reasons around here, but I'm not one of those people. So I decided to buy a puppy instead. (I do actually wonder how many other people have been put off from adopting by overly-aggressive rescue workers. Hopefully it's just me, but I have a feeling it isn't.)

Another factor in deciding to get a puppy instead of an older dog was Mickey, my surviving cat. I knew he would be okay with a puppy because he's just a very easy going cat, and that the puppy would grow up with the cat and they would get along; I really didn't want to take the chance that an older dog and Mickey would hate each other. I wanted the dog to also be a companion for Mickey as well as for myself.

I had not decided that I wanted a poodle, but I was open to the idea. I was actually leaning more toward a chihuahua, but when I saw an ad, placed by someone who was not too far away, offering two toy poodle puppies, I had to call to check it out. When she said one of them was an apricot male, I knew in my heart that he was The One. I heard the lady's voice in my head: "She'll bring you another one to love." I went to pick him up the next day, took one look at the little apricot ball of fur and proclaimed, "Teddy!" It was love at first sight and now, six months later, I can't imagine life without him.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I love poodles, and do plan to have more in the future (right now I only have one dog, so I technically only have poodles haha), but there are several breeds that I really want to own other than poodles. There are so many different breeds that I would love to have in my life, and poodles are just one of them. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
POODLES, POODLES, POODLES are the only breed for me! I have toys and minis, I would love a standard, but am fearful of the size and managing all that poodle personality!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts