Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saleen is afraid of the "Christmas trees". It's in quotes because it's like quater of a tree and a rosemarry bush pruned to look like a tree. The half a tree I got at lowes, it's the very top of a regular real tree that for whatever reason they cut off and affixed to a little baby stand. CUTE! So I got baby lights and a baby tree skirt and slapped a bow and some old timey wooden ornaments on and viola. Christmas spirit. :) It's a neat idea IMO and when I saw it I just had to have it even though John and I decided we wouldn't bother to decorate this year, just didn't feel like it. So I surprised him tonight with a super spotless house, dinner and some decor. The rosemary is living next to the fireplace (but far enough away not to catch on fire- promise) and has some silver beaded string thing and a bell on top. They were on sale too at lowes for two dollars marked down from 12.99... all because the pots were falling apart. Yay! My mom and I bought the last three they had.

I was totally shocked by Saleen's reactions. All four dogs were having what I call quiet time in their out of the way place, which is our hallway thats gated off, so she didn't get to see me put the trees up or decorate them. She came running around the corner of the couch into the living room, made it about four steps and then about jumped out of her skin a the sight of the baby tree next to the TV all lit up and decorated. I almost died, and I dearly wish I had my camera handy! She stalked past the tree only to come face to face with the rosemarry "tree" on the other side of the room. She ran into the kitchen and hunkered down. Oh dear...

I realized though that while Saleen had been born by last christmas she was only three weeks old so I'm going to count this as her first christmas. I can't wait to see her reaction when she realizes what christmas stockings are for! It's going to be her favorite holiday I'm sure!

How many other of our poodle friends are celebrating their first Christmas?

Saleen has by the way gotten over her fear of the trees although she isn't interested in touching them which is good. Though she does bump into it with her tail but I guess thats just a clumsy spoo for ya LoL.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
:lol:
That's hilarious!! How cute that she was so frightened of the tree. I'm glad she's since gotten over it though!

It' Desmond's first Christmas this year too! He didn't show any interest in the tree in the slightest lol. Hasn't bothered the presents either, but I might let him open gifts on Christmas if they are for him hahaha. :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
This reminded me of my husbands cousin who when about 3 was terrified of pumpkins.
Like would not go in the kitchen as it was sitting on the table.
He finallly got enough nerve to peek around corner at it and the dog barked for some reason at that second. Poor little guy screamed and cried about that pumpkin the rest of the day LOL.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
ME! Olie and Suri. This isn't Suri's first but it's our first with her:). I'm still looking for gifts and have no idea what to get them:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Me! I bought Teddy a DVD for Christmas: Hotel for Dogs. I hope he likes it! :santaclaus:
I laughed out loud at that! It is a pretty cute movie, bet he'll be surprised lol

---------------------

It is our first Christmas with Perry (I keep trying to buy him "baby's first christmas" things and TheFiance says no)... He could care less about the tree... And TheFiance and I already exchanged gifts (family visiting drama, we wouldn't have been able to exchange on Christmas day... My mother tends to think she is the most important person in the world), so there aren't any under the tree! However, he has been walking by the lights around the doors and just stands there staring at them. What a weirdo.

TQ on the other hand is VERY excited. When is she not?

As part of their gifts, I went to the local dog bakery and bought them all some BBQ doggy chips as well as I am making satin balls today. They usually get toys, but seeing as our toy container is overflowing, we decided against that this year... That and they all really only play with 5 different toys! (Hedgehog, Pink Duck, Yellow Duck, Blue Duck, tennis balls... Oh, and any small toy meant for Perry!)

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is Pann's first Christmas but not Vaus's. They both bark at the tree when the lights come on at night like it's a monster about to get them. I swear dogs are a trip!! I took a picture of th boys I front of th tree with me in uniform a couple days ago. I'm going to name it Beauty and the Beasts! I wil post it later.!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It's Mitch's first christmas with us, not sure if he celebrated christmas at his other homes.
He's been curious about the tree, but not scared or anything of the sort. He did steal a pinecone off of it as if the tree were a toy buffet, but hasn't tried anything since. Matrix was about 8 months old for his first christmas and aside from the initial curiosity, never cared for the tree.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's so cute! Does he watch movies/TV? I have one who does and one who could care less. Levi always watches dogs on TV and jumps into my lap if he hears me pull up a youtube, etc. of dogs on my computer-he stands there mesmerized. As far as the tree, Paulie will not be near it unless on leash as he cannot be trusted not to get into mischief (yet???)

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is Mercuy and Jupiter's first xmas as they are only 4 months old. Jupiter keeps staring at the balls on the tree like he really wants them but of course mr laid back Mercury couldn't care less. He came with us to my parents yesterday so my kids could decorate their tree and Mercury just layed there with his front paws crossed like a prince (I love that) and watched us. I think he thinks we are pretty odd. Ive picked up some gifts for them but may stick them in a stocking instead of wrapping them because I don't want them thinking they will get treats if they rip stuff up, lol. I can just see them now, searching for paper to shred because, who knows, there may be a bone inside. My 5yr old is worried they may not let santa in on xmas eve.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My 5yr old is worried they may not let santa in on xmas eve.
hahaha my cousin said that yesterday!!
she told my mom "Aunt betty, Keith and Rozie are going to get any presents =[ Elphie and neko will scare him away!!"
xDDD

This is Elphies first Christmas and I've gone all out

she has a bone shaped stocking with a photo of her in it, she has one of those plastic ones stuffed with chew things, I bought her about 15tennis balls((in the tubes)) and all sorts of stuffed things xDD

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
This is my spoos first Christmas (My Dobie's 8th). They all took the tree in stride.. in fact, I have to make sure they don't plop down under the tree to chew on their toys!!! I have had to pick up decorations a few times....sigh. They love to sniff the branches, which is rather funny. Actually, after I got home from getting the tree, Grace insisted she had to sniff my pant legs intensely. I finally had to tell her to "leave it"....lol.

I am looking forward to seeing if any of them will open their presents. Hmmmm, but then again... do I want them getting used to tearing open things????? As I write this, I am thinking... NO. Maybe I will just give them their presents! I sure would not want to come home or get up in the morning to find paper items shredded all over the floor! :scared:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
This is Pann's first Christmas but not Vaus's. They both bark at the tree when the lights come on at night like it's a monster about to get them. I swear dogs are a trip!! I took a picture of th boys I front of th tree with me in uniform a couple days ago. I'm going to name it Beauty and the Beasts! I wil post it later.!!!!!!!
LOL.. this sounds like it will be a great photo! I love the name you are giving it! Look forward to seeing it. :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Saleen is starting to enjoy christmas. She already got a christmas present that her boyfriend brought to her, she also tried to take the one he brought for Jazz. (her boyfriend is my awesome client who gets the ever evolving continental clip and comes over for grooming and play time every three weeks)

All of that really got her in the christmas spirit.... or so it seems
I had a bright idea to make ornaments (yeah uhh cause thats bedrest right doctor?? LoL) to add to my grandmother's old ones that I put on our baby tree. When I taught preschool I did it every year with the kids. It's just applesauce and cinnimon and you dry them out. Completely ok to eat but I bet they tast gross so non of the kids never tired to eat them. They smell GREAT though which is why I wanted them this year. I am suddenly obsessed with cinnimon which is weird b/c I've always hated it before but thats not the point. Anyway good thing I didn't use the recipe for these things that calls for white glue to be added to the mix because I had no sooner put the first batch that I ready on the tree when Saleen decided Christmas trees were awsome! She ate them... all of them. Jazz helped and I do believe the tibbies each probably had at least one, there were only 6 on the tree at the time thankgoodness. Saleen also snagged a cookie off the counter about an hour later and made a good effort to get a an of brownies and got about halfway through a candy cane before howie sounded the alarm and got her caught. She is now really confused as to WHY all the other ornaments on the tree don't taste good (I removed all the candy canes and didn't put any more of my cinnimon thingies on there). She keeps licking the wooden figures, and noses a bell now and again and doesn't understand why she can't eat those too. Naughty puppy.... then again naughty mommy for going to the restroom and leaving her alone in the kitchen and living room with so many things to get in to.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is Noir and Jackson's 1st Christmas. For my 4 I bought a couple of jackets, some more chew toys and bacon strips. I also plan to make more of the satin balls today. They really love these.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
This is Flip's first Christmas too.
His present was The Bed, so that's all he's getting from my hubby and I.

HOWEVER!
Because I bring him to work, he got more gifts from clients this year than I did!
Treats, toys, a collar and a blanket!

Spoiled.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
How does he react to watching tv or movies? Mine just react to the sounds not the actual people or animals.
He watches TV a lot, especially if there are animals or small children on the screen. Big Cat Diary on Animal Planet is one of his favorites. He will sometimes stop in the middle of playing if something on TV catches his attention and look at the TV. He reminds me of a little kid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts