Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I make Enzo lay down after he eats ?

I dunno whats up with him lately. He started this Monday , I feed him then he tries to run all over my apt and play. He threw up all of his food !!!!!!!!!!

I just fed him right now and he tried to run around again so I just made him get in my room and lay down for a while.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My Vet recommended that after poodles eat they should be made to relax for at least 30-45 minutes. He said one of the things they see is bloat and in many cases it happens after they ate. This is with any age.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My two standards will throw up after they eat if they go drink a lot of water right after eating, which they usually try to do, but since we discovered that this excessive water drinking after filling their tummies with food was making them ill, we stop them from drinking too much water after eating and it has helped tremendously. I think that the large amounts of water that they were consuming was causing the just eaten kibble to swell in their tummies.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My two standards will throw up after they eat if they go drink a lot of water right after eating, which they usually try to do, but since we discovered that this excessive water drinking after filling their tummies with food was making them ill, we stop them from drinking too much water after eating and it has helped tremendously. I think that the large amounts of water that they were consuming was causing the just eaten kibble to swell in their tummies.
Exactly---Very good tip, and it's true. We monitor the water intake right before and after. We will add a few trinkles of water to Olies food and allow a few minutes for it to swell and this also minimizes the bloat or upset stomach.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've seen dogs do that before where they will cough up whole food, so weird.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I feed my dogs oce a day, and in their crates, if they ask to be let out they are let out. my borzoi are sequestered to the backyard and eat in their run, they are free to move around as much as they like, even though Borzoi are another breed with a predispostion to bloat.
as far as the throwing up, I would put him in a crate to eat and leave him in it for about 30-45 minutes, he will probally go to sleep.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Actually, new research indicates that bloat is NOT caused by excersize immediately after eating. There is some link to what is actually in the food (I cannot recall the details now :eek:hwell:) and also that dogs should NOT be fed out of an elevated dish. But contrary to what we had thought, exercise does not impact bloat. Be very concerned with hereditary factors, however. If there is any bloat in the bloodlines, beware.

I would feed that baby in a crate and leave him in it for 30 minutes or so if he is getting too rowdy and throwing up after eating.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I stumbled upon something online that listed dogs that had been diagnosed with bloat. I'll see if I can find it but at least it gives an idea which lines have dogs that have been diagnosed with bloat.

I think feeding in a crate is a very good thing. That's how I fed Jasper and he became very comfortable eating in it and expected to be fed in it at every feeding. He learned "let's go eat" early on.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
This is why I like free feeding, they never eat so much at one time I have to worry about things like this.

I do however schedule feed my dogs that do not get to come into the main house in their crates. It helps, they eat slower and have that rest time before being let out again.

I think bloat has more to do with the individual dog then anything.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Free feeding is great except if you have many pets! If I free fed, I can tell you what would happen: Phoebe would run in and eat up all the food. Did you ever see that cartoon on the Far Side about Why Dogs Don't Survive Ship Wrecks? There is a sinking boat in the background and a little emergency raft of about 6 dogs on in the foreground. One dog says "Everyone in favor of eating up all the rations now, raise their hand". And all the dogs' paws are in the air! It is soooooo funny and true for many dogs.

Seriously though, if you are taking your dog on the road to shows, it is generally best to have specific feeding times, in the crate preferably. You don't have the ability as much to free feed and need your dog on a schedule...not so much the eating but the POOPING!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I feed in crates and have my dogs stay in there for atleast 30 minutes to even an hour. I don't usually time it like that but by the time I'm done doing bath's and dinner dishes that's how it works out.

My rat terrier and pit aren't prone to bloat but since I have a standard poodle too, they have to hang out if he does.

I think crating enzo will probably solve his problem. Crates are a life saver if you ask me. I couldn't own muliptle dogs if crates didn't exsist.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The reason I don't want to crate him is because his crate is not that big for him to eat in there. He is pretty well trained so I just wanted to know how long to make him lay down that is all lol

The day I asked this question I just told him to lay down and he stayed there for hrs. I just closed him in the room with me after he ate. On Monday I had my bedroom door opened and he was running around playing with the cats :)

Then he threw up all over the floor !!!!! his silly butt ate some of the food he just threw up YUCK lol ( i did not see this small pile of food near the couch)

When I used to take him to the dog park he would run and try to drink a $hit load of water ! I always make him stay by me and never let him go to get water. When he is making a bee line to the water I just call him back and he will come back with no problem.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Free feeding is great except if you have many pets! If I free fed, I can tell you what would happen: Phoebe would run in and eat up all the food. Did you ever see that cartoon on the Far Side about Why Dogs Don't Survive Ship Wrecks? There is a sinking boat in the background and a little emergency raft of about 6 dogs on in the foreground. One dog says "Everyone in favor of eating up all the rations now, raise their hand". And all the dogs' paws are in the air! It is soooooo funny and true for many dogs.

Seriously though, if you are taking your dog on the road to shows, it is generally best to have specific feeding times, in the crate preferably. You don't have the ability as much to free feed and need your dog on a schedule...not so much the eating but the POOPING!
Lets see I free feed 5 dogs at the least and when we have borders its up to 8 out of one feeder and we have never had any issues. But to each their own and I do agree you need a schedule if you are showing.

·
Registered
578 Posts
"Everyone in favor of eating up all the rations now, raise their hand".

I sit at my desk and they wonder why I laugh out loud!

·
Registered
145 Posts
That's a great cartoon. I used to free feed as well. I have one dog now who eats his food and then everone else's....and he is a toy breed. Ugh. I wonder why I can't keep him at his acceptable weight.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
There are many different causes to bloat. I find myself being cautious of all.:eek:hwell:

I have been told by trainers to never adjust a dog to be fed in their crates long term IF they are homed there. Dogs can be territorial over food, and can develop some aggressiveness if other dogs or even people come around their crate when they may not want you there.

I am sure others have had good experiences and if it works great, I am no expert but I did take the advise to not feed in the crate and it worked for me. The only thing in their crates are a bed, water, maybe a chew toy and they do get treats as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts