Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a pure mini at the end of May. She was 8 months and weighed 9.6 lbs at the time. She has already gained 2 lbs and grown in a little under 2 months. Will she keep growing? Ideally I'd love for her to end at 16-20lbs. I had planned on getting a bit larger mini but I fell in love with my baby girl and will do so regardless of her size!

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Was she underweight when you got her, or about right for her age? Most small dogs finish their major growth spurt by 10-11 months, but some have been known to grow another inch or two after that. At around 12 months I would expect her to have reached her adult height, but still have a bit of furnishing up to do - filling out a little from a rangy teenage shape. I've found this is when you really have to watch food quantities - once the dog stops growing, you need to adjust to a maintenance level, or she will begin to balloon (Poppy got very solid very quickly!). I take mine to the vet to weigh them every week or so - I tend to be passing anyway, it enables me to keep a close watch on their weight, and they always get a treat and a game with the staff, which makes going to the vets a pleasure, rather than an ordeal!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She wasn't underweight when I got her. She looked very proportional for her size. Her weight is still proportional (she isn't just growing horizontally). She is fed well (Science Diet Puppy) and eats the right amount or slightly less than she is supposed to. She just is noticeably bigger and can see outside from the chair next to the window. When we got her she wasn't tall enough to see the window from the chair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts