Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, tried Asher on a new food and he got his first EVER ear infection!! Grr! (I actually have never ever dealt with an ear infection in any dog I've owned) It's mild, just red, no oozing, not bothering him too much. I have of course taken him off of that food (trying to decide if it was the pork, or it it was one of the fruits/veggies in the mix cause I'm not sure if I want to try the other proteins I tried as they have fruits and veggies as well). I have him back on his old food (which is stupid expensive which is why I tried a new food that several people I know recommended) to clear it up. I don't think he needs to see the vet for it at least not yet.
So with switching him back to his old food, how long would you guess it would take to clear up? I want to clear up the ear completely before trying the other food if I do decide to try it.

BTW the triggers in question are Squash, Lettuce, Banana, Pork. Any guesses on what you think would be the most likely? Leaning towards banana or pork?

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Mysticrealm - what if it's a bacterial infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics? Or a fungal infection that needs an antifungal drug? How do you know that it's food related? Couldn't the change in food just be a coincidence?

I don't know about dog allergies - but for humans - I'd pick Pork as the likely culprit.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm taking an extremely likely guess due to the fact that he is over 2.5 years old and has NEVER had an ear infection and I JUST changed foods a few days ago. Obviously if it doesn't go away or gets worse he'll see a vet, but I'm not rushing out there for a slightly red ear that has no oozing and no smell, and does not bother him much (I've seen him scratch it once and he shakes his head once or twice every now and then).

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I have some ear drops in the house, when Renns ear gets a little too pink I just put fill his ear with some drops massage in and dry with a cotton pad. Usually by the following day they once again look normal.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
If this really is a food reaction (and it may well be) then rather than guessing about what Asher should and shouldn't eat I would have a NutriScan analysis done. https://www.nutriscan.org/ It will give you a definitive set of parameters to use to choose food without taking stabs in the dark and could save you all sorts of problems since it sounds like you really want to change food.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So good news. Asher's ear is already almost back to normal just one day off the food. Since it cleared up so quickly I'm not too hesitant to play around with the new food. I think I will try the beef with veggies cause I know he's fine with beef so if he does react to this then I know it is the veggies and can order food from them that doesn't have veggies. And if he doesn't react then likely it was the pork.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts