Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently got a toy poodle puppy Armani and luckily due to COVID I'll be able to work from home until he is at least 9 months old. However, eventually I will have to go back to working in person. Right now he's predominantly being potty trained outside and is doing pretty well with it. But I have read a lot that having a dog both pee pad trained and outdoor trained can be useful if something ever goes wrong and you are late coming home from work and your dog needs to go. I was just wondering for those with adult toy poodles, is your dog able to hold it for a full work day (8-5), or is it important to make sure the dog has a place to go indoors during the day as well?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would say 8-5 is too long, unfortunately. It’s also a long time for a dog to go without any interaction, so if there’s any way you can arrange for someone to come in and walk him / play with him at lunchtime, I would recommend that.

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
I would hire a dog walker or someone who will let him out into your yard for a 15-30 minute play session each day. That’s what I did before I started taking my mini to work with me.

It wasn’t just a matter of how long she could physically hold it. When I factored in my commute time (half hour each way) and any pre or post-work chitchat, or unexpected last-minute work issues, it was just too long for me to leave her alone 5 days a week. Dogs are super social, and especially poodles. You’ll be coming home and wanting to make dinner and relax. Your poodle will be thinking, “Finally! My day is starting!”

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just throwing out ideas because I'll be in a similar predicament soon (fingers crossed)... Do you have any family-friends who are retired and be up to the task of dog sitting for $20-30/day?

When Basil (SPOO) was a pup during the summer and I was working away from home, she was with her grand parents MWF (free), and with a 13 year old on summer break Tu & Th for $30/day.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Daycares and dog walkers are good options if they work out for you; but, for plenty of people, it doesn't work out due to dog daycare expense or finding a trusted person you would hand your keys to. I am lucky I currently have family to watch my dogs, but when I didn't live near family, my dogs were left alone. My dogs had toys and plenty of comfy spaces to rest. I also had an area for pee pads in case they needed to use one (even though they went to the bathroom outside when I was home). I would suggest having pee pads available just in case. Because your dog will be so young, you probably will want your dog to have a large playpen with his crate, water (maybe food), and a pee pad set up inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts