Poodle Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Yes. At least 2 trustworthy neighbors that have already offered!
If you go this route, make it fenced backyard access only for the neighbor to get in and to let Elroy out.

There's a small bolt risk, and it happens too quickly to stop.

I assume Big E would be penned or crated but that won't always be the case.

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you go this route, make it fenced backyard access only for the neighbor to get in and to let Elroy out.

There's a small bolt risk, and it happens too quickly to stop.

I assume Big E would be penned or crated but that won't always be the case.
Good advice. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Reminds me to ask if you've started training him to know that permission is required to cross the front threshold and any others.

My boys had led 2-3 merry chases (for them) bolting out the front. It's a horrible feeling.

I've got them pretty well trained if we're going out for a walk. They'll wait then, but unleashed and excited if either my husband or myself are returning individually thru the front door, they'll bolt still but only to the person arriving and then to the lamp post then the tree then consider if the neighbors tree might need an anointing...
It still worries me so I keep working on it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I had been training him to sit at the front door (inside) and wait until invited out. He's pretty good, and has never tried to bolt, nor succeeded at bolting. He's been so good that I've been lax at reinforcing it. Thanks for the reminder. I'll work on it some more. I do have him sit at cross roads, waiting for my "clear" command to cross. He's pretty good at this, but I still have to command the sit. Hoping for it to become automatic at crossroads.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Are there any trusting neighbor boys with school age boy or girls and a closed yard for a sitter relationship?

Maybe the local ptsa could be helpful?

"Here's my key. Let him outside, play with him for 30 minutes, make sure you see him pee and poop, lure him back inside, lock the door, leave the key under the rock and grab the $10."

Something like that. Just an idea. I met Basil's 13 year old sitter through working w his Dad, and I had a similar "job" growing up.

Child labor is cheap!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
My previous dogs had it built into their routine: humans slowly disappear one by one starting with me at 5.30am, by 8, they are alone and snoozing or snacking on some hidden treats (no resource guarding then), they have access to pee pads and water and some kibble (they were small enough to worry about blood sugar levels). Humans only start returning at about 5pm starting with me. So around 9 hours alone.

With covid, whiskey has a rude awakening waiting ahead and in preparation we’ve been leaving him alone with pee pad access in a easy clean up area, for increasing amounts of time (always random though). We now have tried 6 hours but their water ran out sometime between 4 hours and 6 hours. So when all returns to normal, I will need an extra water point or a bigger receptacle or both. He’s always snoozing when I check the camera though. Maybe pacing for the first 10-15 minutes then he settles.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am retired so home most of the time but when Summer comes (Spyder riding) husband and I have been gone up to 6? hours. I too have a dog door and fenced in area AND three dogs so no one is home alone. Still, they are so excited I am back especially if we have been out past feeding time LOL

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've left Elroy alone in the (closed up, safety checked), kitchen for up to about 4 hrs with no potty issues. To provide a different context, he sleeps thru the night, sometimes 9 hrs, and when I let him out (sometimes, occasionally) in the morning, he doesn’t even pee. He'll go if I go out with him, so I'm thinking it's not urgent for him. He will go the 2nd time I let him out, so total time without peeing/pooping is like 10 hrs.
How long can I expect to be able to leave him indoors, alone, once he's all grown up? I like to ride my motorcycle with a bunch of friends on weekends, and we usually are out for 10-12 hrs. Right now when we go riding, I'm leaving him with my Dad, but hoping I can leave him home in the future. This is in the order of 1-3 times/month May-Oct.
SNAP !!!
Both Poppy's 'mum and dad' have motorcycles, which have reamained in the garage since we got Poppy.
Did have a hope that being a mini poo she might be able to come for a ride with us, rucksac or tank seat....
Our old dog Kipper did come on bike rides because we got a sidecar for him, which he loved, too big for the solo bike options.
As for the leaving alone thing.... not managed to do well with that yet.
We have left her alone a couple of times for just 10 mins, we go down to the garage look longingly at the bikes and come back in.
This is certainly something we have to 'up our game' with, as we will have to leave her at some point.
She is 10mnths old now, hopefully we can still get her comfortable being left alone before too much longer.
Leaving her for a few minutes, then a bit longer, then back to a few minutes, increasing all the time.
And according to some, not making a great fuss when we come back indoors.
Seperation anxeity we understand is a Poodle trait.
Though when she disapears over the horizon to see some dog on the otherside of the park, that seperation anxiety seems no problem to her!
Anyway, leave the dog well exercised - tired, and with perhaps a lovely bone.... making being left alone a 'treat'.
Good luck!!
Got to ask what bike have you got?
I have a VTX 1800 ( non standard), Aprillia 650 Factory Pegaso ( town runabout ), and Sue has an ancient CB600f Hornet.
Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Got to ask what bike have you got?
The VTX and Aprilia are along the lines of what I've got, although the CBR is a little rocket! I have a 2017 Honda CBR600RR (sport bike, red one in post #11) and a 1994 Honda Magna 750 (sport cruiser). BP (before poodle) I rode about 5000 miles /season. This year (AP) it'll be about 600-1000. It's OK though Although riding is an activity I enjoy, poodling is a really enjoyable activity as well. I just have to plan my riding days now rather than go on a whim.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Are there any trusting neighbor boys with school age boy or girls and a closed yard for a sitter relationship?

Maybe the local ptsa could be helpful?

"Here's my key. Let him outside, play with him for 30 minutes, make sure you see him pee and poop, lure him back inside, lock the door, leave the key under the rock and grab the $10."

Something like that. Just an idea. I met Basil's 13 year old sitter through working w his Dad, and I had a similar "job" growing up.

Child labor is cheap!!
My kids had "jobs" like this for a senior who lives in our building during the height of the pandemic. They stopped by twice a day and picked up his dog and took him out on leash for about 10 to 15 minutes and returned him. They worked for junk food.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The VTX and Aprilia are along the lines of what I've got, although the CBR is a little rocket! I have a 2017 Honda CBR600RR (sport bike, red one in post #11) and a 1994 Honda Magna 750 (sport cruiser). BP (before poodle) I rode about 5000 miles /season. This year (AP) it'll be about 600-1000. It's OK though Although riding is an activity I enjoy, poodling is a really enjoyable activity as well. I just have to plan my riding days now rather than go on a whim.
Looking good! Nice bit of kit!
Track day ?
The 'Beast' and the old Hornet....
IMG_1746_2.JPG
IMG_6698.jpg

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I like to do track days, usually 3/season. None this year though due to training Elroy. He has been to the track though for a day of track socialization. He is quite at ease with everything about it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts