Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious what the ideal age gap between dogs is. With Rotties, it's usually suggested that you wait til your current dog is 3, but Rotties are very slow to mature and have different temperments. (Harley is almost 6 and I swear he is just now filling out completely.) Two puppies at the same age sounds like way too much trouble to me, but is 6 months okay, a year? Should you wait til the first dog is completely mature?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
My feeling is anytime after a year. You want the older one to have time to get past the chewing, get house broken, mature a bit. THEN the big bonus!! That one will help you teach the younger one what you want in a dog, will help with the house breaking, because the little one will want to go out every time the older one does. That is my take on it...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
With standard poodles, I'm going to say it varies. I think that they all mature at different rates. Harry was a little over a year and a half when we got Mia. They are a good fit. You have to fit the personalities of the current dog and the puppy so that you live in a harmonious house.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For us it's usually been about 1-1/2 or so. Soon as the first dog is good, dependable, knows all basic obedience, well potty trained, past destructive chewing. At that point I have had adding a second puppy very easy. The first dog helps the second dog learn by example.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I agree to go for at least a year, any less and you're starting to have two puppies. lol!

Though for me, Riki was 9 when Paris came along, and we won't get another dog before Riki goes, which could be another 5 years, making Paris about 9 too ;)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
It does vary I'm sure with the dog, BUT I would say more so with the owners.

In most situations with puppies it is what the owners have the time and patience for. Aoki and Coco are litermates - I was in a great place at the time to have 2 puppies for the attention and training they needed.

Then came Olie almost a year later, and with in months Suri (but she was 1 1/2 yrs) It seems like a lot and at times but I have 2 other adults living here that are as in love with them as me and support their needs. So I really think this plays a BIG piece.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cooper was 18 months when I got my second spoo. I agree that the first one needs to be over a year old. Actually I started looking for one before he was a year old but at the time I thought a young adult would be a better fit. I was trying to avoid having two young ones at the same time. Now I am glad that things didn't work out that way. From about 12 months to 18 months he just blossomed and matured. He is a very confident spoo. But is cautious when needed. He is extremely easy spoo to live with. And he is excellent role model for Greta. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have a 19 year old pomeranian we have had since he was 7 and our 20 week old mini. I was really nervous because I was worried a puppy would be the death of our old boy but they are so great together, share a bed when they have some outside time and stay within a few feet all of the time. Now I am worried about what will happen when Lucky does leave us. We had two rough collies for many years and one died when she was attacked by a roaming dog, it was so traumatic and our other collie just kind of got old instantly and joined her. I am probably panicking in advance but do you think Toby would adjust to being the pampered only dog or should we consider adding a dog at that point? Also what is better with a neutered male, a male or a female? We have three kids and we all want Toby to come everywhere with us so we were thinking of having him solo but I just don't know! Any thoughts? Oh and btw, I don't suggest you leave 19 yrs as an age gap in a perfect world lol!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
We have a 19 year old pomeranian we have had since he was 7 and our 20 week old mini. I was really nervous because I was worried a puppy would be the death of our old boy but they are so great together, share a bed when they have some outside time and stay within a few feet all of the time. Now I am worried about what will happen when Lucky does leave us. We had two rough collies for many years and one died when she was attacked by a roaming dog, it was so traumatic and our other collie just kind of got old instantly and joined her. I am probably panicking in advance but do you think Toby would adjust to being the pampered only dog or should we consider adding a dog at that point? Also what is better with a neutered male, a male or a female? We have three kids and we all want Toby to come everywhere with us so we were thinking of having him solo but I just don't know! Any thoughts? Oh and btw, I don't suggest you leave 19 yrs as an age gap in a perfect world lol!
Wow> Yep thats a gap. I'd love to see your pommie!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Oh my goodness!! NINETEEN! WOW! He is going to leave an awful hole when he is gone. At nineteen I cannot imagine he plays with your puppy much, and I am visualizing a frail old soul. If that is the case, your baby would likely be fine. But if they do interact and play, or if your Pom takes a lot of your time, I would think the puppy would be better off with a team mate. I think mlost dogs do better if they are not the only canine in a household. The breeder I got Iris from (my female Whippet) has a real issue selling a pup to a family who intends for her puppy to be an only child.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I think that the year to two year age gap is great . However the older the first dog and more trained. The more he or she is likely to pass along the training. Puppies / dogs are pack animals and will learn from each other. Fetching for instance,,,,Housebreaking is always easier. And so on
I think that dogs should not be only children.....We prefer homes that have other dogs if possible.....

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
We didn't wait very long lol

Saffy @ 3 1/2 we got Aug 08

Coco @ 11 weeks we got Jan 09

Duke @ 8 weeks we got Aug 09

I know, we are crazy :wacko:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Jack (our Cavalier) was about 31/2 when we got Flip, but we had the greyhound overlap his puppyhood, he doesn't do well as an 'only dog'. He likes to follow, and especially now that he can't hear, he likes to have another dog around to watch for signals, etc.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I like to space my dogs at LEAST five years apart. I need time to raise, train, get ready to show, etc... before bringing in a puppy that is going to take my total attention.

I also try to take into consideration the dogs ages as they mature. I want my older dogs to be able to have the attention that THEY need. Having an older dog can get very expensive if they are not healthy, and if you have multiple dogs that are all about the same age, you may have to make decisions that you didn't want to make if you would have had more money for just the one dog. (hope that made sense! :biggrin:).

That being said, I do have littermates. Frank was a puppy when I bought him from the breeder and Betty came to live with us for "just a little while" and ended up staying - a poor decision. I love her, but wish I had been stronger and told Brian she had to go back when they were ready to have her back at the breeder's. They are seven, Robin is almost 12 and Vinnie is just about a year. I don't plan on getting another dog for at least 5-6 years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
lol! Someone forgot to give my old boy the memo he is supposed to be frail, he is a bit of a mystery really as he still has a "funny five minutes" and plays like a mad man! He has a few little health things now, bit harder to jump on the bed and he has a collapsing trachea which means he coughs a bit but he is on fluid tabs and that has even gotten better so he shows no signs of falling of the twig at all. He is awsome! He has NEVER so much as lifted a lip and the kids (6.5, 4.5 and 18 months) hug him and fuss over him, really awsome dog. When I was ill about ten years ago he sat on my bed for two months, only got up when i did! Anyway he seems to be very happy with Toby, he only tells him off if the whipper snapper gets too boisterous! Fine by me Toby needs to learn. I was thinking of maybe an older dog next, maybe over 1 house trained and not mouthy still. I am home with the two legged kids now but when i return to work I would not have as much time for incidental training only obedience and the like! Oh and even though Lucky is a Pom he has decided not to have any guard hairs any more so no more shedding everywhere lol! it is so funny he is covered i peach fuzz undrcoat all soft and fuzzy but no long hairs just patchy bald spots. All tests show he is fine just hair follicles have said, nah, too old to bother with it! I have tried to put pics in my album so I hope it works!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My dogs are 5 months apart in age and they are really good pals. They don't always get along but it was worth it for them to grow up together as companions. And occaisonally now they both curl up together in the same dog bed.

Though during the crazy puppy phase I often wondered if I was crazy or just ambitious. But it all paid off in the end.

Ideally I feel a year apart in age is best. But I'm glad we did things the way we did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts