Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have these stairs in the backyard from the deck, only two stairs, that Vegas does a flying leap on and off of. It really starts to worry me, I don't want him breaking a leg. Every once in awhile he'll miss his jump and trip up the stairs and start limping for a minute or so then be fine.

I just remember little Atticus breaking his leg and it scares me to think of Vegas getting hurt.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would be careful regardless - - younger bones are still more fragile then when they are older and have built more muscle to protect those bones. I have a high bed and I still try to make Olie use the stool at the bottom of my bed to get down. I too worry about him breaking a bone.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Not sure about Standards, but Tsuki (toy) fell off our stairs and bounced (about 5-6" drop). She was as a bit stiff/sore for a day but was fine by morning. And Lincoln (mini) leaps off our porch like a deer multiple times a day and is fine.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Mitch is sturdy as a rock, it would take a lot to hurt him. But Vegas is still a pup and as Olie said, his bones and joints are still developing. I wouldn't let him do it often.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think it's all about the way they land. When Jazzy was about 9 weeks old I had her little sister with me still (I took them from a family member) She was playing near my front door when I was getting my daughter off the bus. She got excited and backed up to far and fell between the railings all the way to the basement. It was about a 10 ft fall. She was absolutely fine. By the time I made it down the steps she ran to me. Unbelievable, but she must have somehow landed just the right way.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh, I freaked all right, I was hysterical, my kids were screaming, it was quite the drama.:scared: I honestly thought she would be dead. I couldn't and still can't believe she was a ok, :ahhhhh:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well growing bones are different but as for how tough Casey loves to play with 2 great danes at the dog park and Mandys best bud was Mastiff.
Both play with the big dogs mostly.
Funny story though one time playing with my sisters springer they got into it over a ball they had been playing with together for an hour. Not sure what happened but Casey screamed and then came and sat beside me with his paw in the air crying. 5 min later was fine and playing.
Mandy did the same thing one time playing in the snow with Casey. I ran out picked her up to cuddle her and boom she was fine and off for the chase again.
Sometimes I think they do it to get the other one in trouble LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts