Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The toy poodle is more than a year old and I need to jog for exercise. How far can I jog with the toy poodle? I normally jog less than a mile. Is that too much for a toy poodle or is that okay of a distance? I've walked her plenty of times and she still wants me to play with her by throwing the ball and she'll bring it back.

·
Premium Member
13,260 Posts
Less than a mile sounds well within the scope of an adult toy dog with no health conditions, but I would alternate jogging with pauses to sniff and explore. And be careful running past other dogs - a direct approach with no opportunity for signalling benevolent intentions can be seen as rude or even aggressive behaviour.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you also want to go for longer walks and hikes which you think might be too much for your toy poodle you can introduce her to a doggy backpack.

My mother's yorkshire terrier loves to go on hikes including a bit of mountain trekking. But when he gets tired he can go in this bag and be carried. I would recommend introducing her to it slowly inside your house. You want her to get used to it and associate it with safety and feeling good. Start with just luring her in with a little treat and let her go out when she wants to. Slowly increase until she is calm while being carried in the bag inside and then try if she likes it when outside. Also very useful if you want to go cycling.

Don't know if the bag would be useful for jogging as she would probably bounce up and down in the bag haha 😅

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
I would be careful jogging too long with a toy, as they are known to have patella problems. As suggested, you may find a way to transport her after she’s done a bit of jogging with you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be careful jogging too long with a toy, as they are known to have patella problems. As suggested, you may find a way to transport her after she’s done a bit of jogging with you.
What do you mean by patella problems? The toy poodle is very active inside the home and loves to run and jump.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
What do you mean by patella problems? The toy poodle is very active inside the home and loves to run and jump.
Toy poodles are known to have luxating patellas to various degrees, sometimes severe and requiring surgery. It’s a common weakness in the breed. I like to give them stairs to go up on the couch whenever possible, to avoid jumping up and down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts