Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harry is a bit of a sissy about thunder. He gets really clingy and nervous during thunderstorms. We don't fuss about it because it will just reinforce his anxiety. I know there is an herbal remedy for nervous dogs. Can anyone remind me what it is?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Mine were a very alert with the first couple of storms they experienced but then they were fine. It is our Golden that has the total meltdown during storms. She cowers in the living room and shakes and whines.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Luckily non of my dogs have any fear of thunder but I know of some dogs that do. Sorry to hear that Harry does, hope you find that herbal stuff for him!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I was really worried Desmond would be afraid of thunderstorms (he was a wimpy little puppy lol). The first t-storm he experienced was HUGE, and he slept through it better than I did! :rolffleyes: and I'm a heavy sleeper at that haha.

If you want Harry to feel more comfortable during storms, I hear that wrapping them snugly in a blanket or dog jacket/shirt can make them feel more secure. I don't know of an herbal remedy but that's what I've heard from people who have dogs who are afraid of thunder.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sadie does okay unless it's a really bad storm. If it's thundering and lightening really bad or for quite a while, she'll kind of shake and whine a little. Odd thing is, she's more of a sissy about it inside... if we're at the barn and it starts thundering, it doesn't seem to bother her as much.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He doesn't get too bad with whining he just is clingy and will continueously look at us for comfort. We just ignore the behavior to show him it's not a big deal. It's only thunder. If it's just raining he has no issues.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Riley has No problems! If there is a very loud thunder clap that shakes the house he might get up, turn around and go back to sleep!

Putting a snug t-shirt on him should help as mentioned. It just seems to make them feel more secure. Rescue remedy is an herbal formula for stress. Some people swear by it, others see no improvement. Cant hurt though. Rubbing pepperment oil on their ears or paw pads helps too ive heard.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Holly has always been terrified of thunder storms. Glassy eyes, trmebling, whining, drooling... Until this summer, she was the only one. Well, we got struck by lightening in the summer, and it took out our TV., DVD players, computer, internet, satellite TV and half a four slice toaster. The noise was remarkable. And now our male Whippet Wiz is a nervous wreck. The poor guy gets freaked out if he even THINKS he hears thunder on TV. We have to sit with the remote handy to turn the TV down if there is a storm on a show.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My spoo would just growl and give couple of barks "at the sky" - like warning the thunder "to behave" - it was very funny actually. We would say "it is OK , come here " and than give him something to play with : )).

BUT - there are some breeds that are notoriously scared of thunder and extra loud sounds in general - like Bearded Collie ! My friend had one and her breeder warned her that it "runs in the breed" with some individuals that really get scared to the point of running like crazy around and whimpering and crying to no end. (One would expect more courage from a "sheep dog " LMAO)

Now - the point is , that breeder told her that if it ever happens that she should not pumper him UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. That petting him or babying him will only reinforce the behavior and that she should completely ignore him if that happens - which is VERY hard for pet owners . The immediate instinct of us humans is to "cuddle" them , of course !!!

It is best to stay calm and just maybe say "it's OK" and distract them with a toy or offer a crate "as a shelter" if they love their crate.

At least that was what a breeder of a sheepish sheep dogs told her ; )

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah we had the surround sound on earlier and the movie was kind of loud and had a lot of bass to it and Harry got nervous and ran over to me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Never had a poodle react badly to a storm, fireworks or anything. Always had laid back well adjusted dogs that rolled with the flow. Known a few that had to be put on medication when storms were coming. Their owners were a little high strung as well. Nurture vs nature, who knows.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
my terrier is unsure of thunder, but she's more upset about fireworks than thunder. I put her into her crate when there's fireworks, because she's constantly getting up and moving about everywhere looking worried if she's not in her crate. In her crate she lays there, she's awake, but she'll lay there without any stress.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never had a poodle react badly to a storm, fireworks or anything. Always had laid back well adjusted dogs that rolled with the flow. Known a few that had to be put on medication when storms were coming. Their owners were a little high strung as well. Nurture vs nature, who knows.
Huh that almost sounds like an insult to me. Now poodlepal you've been so "nice" lately. You wouldn't be trying to insult me all of a sudden would you?:fish:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Huh that almost sounds like an insult to me. Now poodlepal you've been so "nice" lately. You wouldn't be trying to insult me all of a sudden would you?:fish:
If she was insulting you, she was also insulting me! My Meika-Meika (mini dachshund who went to the rainbow bridge last May 14th) had never been afraid of thunderstorms until she got sick with canine lupus... it seemed that shortly after she was diagnosed, thunderstorms started to bother her. I never knew WHY, as she hadn't been worried before - but in her last years, I did need to give her acepromazine to relax her if I knew a thunder-boomer was coming.

We have a pretty low key household (even with 4 dogs and 4 cats) and none of the other dogs seem to notice storms, but Meika would get frantic - and I don't nurture any of my dogs differently than the others...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I guess those of us that have dogs that are afraid of the big booming noise of thunder must have issues in our households.:lol: I think it's possible that it's the dog and not just the dog's owner. Dogs aren't just what we are, they do have their own personalities and temperaments aside from their owners.:lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Amazingly being the nervous dog he is, thunderstorms don't seem to phase him at all.

He just doesn't seem to notice them

Me on the otherhand, well that is a whole different story. Im terrified of them and a complete nervous wreck when ever there are storms in the forcast(but we have a lot of tornados here)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not sure why you would think I was insulting you. Just stating my own observations just like everyone else on here and I not going to start sending my posts to a review panel just to make sure they are 100% PC for anyone who reads them. Geez louise so sensitive. Does the shoe fit? If so wear it. If not, what's your problem.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Well, I guess those of us that have dogs that are afraid of the big booming noise of thunder must have issues in our households.:lol: I think it's possible that it's the dog and not just the dog's owner. Dogs aren't just what we are, they do have their own personalities and temperaments aside from their owners.:lol:
I have to agree with this. There is only my husband and I and neither of us are high-strung (my husband is about as laid-back as it gets! LOL) Billy is a laid-back kind of guy but Taffy is a bit more high-strung but handles storms just fine.

On the other hand, Brandy (golden retriever), who normally goes with the flow, starts whining before we can even hear the storm coming!? We have to put her in the basement until it passes. We don't cuddle her or try to comfort her. We just open the gate and let her into the cellar where she feels safe. All of our pets are treated the same so I don't see this as a nurture vs. nature thing for us. It's about personality of the animal.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My dogs are fine with both fireworks and thunderstorms but I wouldn't let them off lead when either of the above were kicking off. My 18 year old cat, on the other hand, is unhappy in a thunderstorm or loud bangs. We just let her go behind the sofa and she stays there whilst all the rest of the household goes about its business.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts