Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my minipoos signal they have to go potty by going to the front door.

i had thought of teaching them to use bells to signal it my older minipoo would ring bells constantly just to go outside. We decided not to.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Misha is the same way... if he had a bell he would constantly ring it whenever he felt bored. When he was younger he would jump up and hit the doorknob with his paw to make a clanging noise that was very easy to hear. Now he just walks up to the door and paws it then stares at me. But most of the time he doesn't really need to pee. He just wants to go outside because he is bored. Over time I have taught him that he can only expect to go outside at certain times and thankfully he usually doesn't bug me unless he believes it's walk time.

If it's an emergency he'll make it clear by going to the door then coming to look at me and crying then going back to pawing the door.

·
Super Moderator
5,052 Posts
Snarky would go to the door and woof. Pogo would pace. We knew he needed to go out if we woke up to the sound of clicking toenails. I honestly haven't figured out Galen's adult signals, as he gets walked or taken out so frequently. When he was a puppy he would start running around madly before he abruptly stopped to lighten the load. Ritter is showing signs of being a pacer the way Pogo was, but he has also surprised me a few times by crying when he needed to unload and didn't feel he was in the right place.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is suuuch a challenge for us. BB does not have a discernable signal and it is so annoying.
How old is BB?

Teddy is still a puppy, 4.5 months. About 2 weeks ago we started to watch him closely for his signal of when he needed to go out to potty. Prior to that we were following Ian Dunbar and taking him out by time or after eating or
sleeping. I had noticed sometimes he was going to the door and realized that maybe he was trying to signal to us he needed to go potty. We decided to encourage him to make his own choice about when he needed to go out. When we would normally be taking him out, we watched him for any signal and as soon as we saw him go to the door we ran to get him out and praised him. Now he’s consistently telling us when he needs to go. I’m not sure if that means he’s toilet trained or not?

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My dogs have all gone to the door and waited, then come to stare at us and go back to the door if they weren’t noticed. Our first girl was bell trained, and she for sure took advantage of it, plus the bell ruined the paint on the door.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dogs have all gone to the door and waited, then come to stare at us and go back to the door if they weren’t noticed. Our first girl was bell trained, and she for sure took advantage of it, plus the bell ruined the paint on the door.
I’m sure my dogs would take advantage too, same as Raindrop’s Misha.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Whiskey has no signal, he will just stop and go where he is, no sniffing. That's why we have pee pad trained him. Has been that way since he came home at 17 weeks and even now at 7.5 months.

At least he now goes to the pee pad, stops dead in his tracks and just goes (minimal squatting). So I guess his signal is when he walks to the pee pad?

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whiskey has no signal, he will just stop and go where he is, no sniffing. That's why we have pee pad trained him. Has been that way since he came home at 17 weeks and even now at 7.5 months.

At least he now goes to the pee pad, stops dead in his tracks and just goes (minimal squatting). So I guess his signal is when he walks to the pee pad?
Yes, I agree, his signal is walking to the potty pad. He does have a signal.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I have a dog door set into the utility room door that opens out to the approved potty area. All our dogs quickly learned to use it, although Molly, the Chihuahua, will pee on the utility room floor if it is raining or snowing outside.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a dog door set into the utility room door that opens out to the approved potty area. All our dogs quickly learned to use it, although Molly, the Chihuahua, will pee on the utility room floor if it is raining or snowing outside.
I wish my house had that option to add a doggy door but there’s no place appropriate.

Reactions: Apricot mini momma

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
She comes and licks my hands/feet, pokes her nose at me, etc, maybe barks if I ignore her. It's really very clear that she wants something.

Unfortunately, I could write the same answer for a bunch of other questions, including:

How does your dog let you know she wants:
  • a walk?
  • More dog food?
  • To go upstairs to bed?
  • To go to the park?
  • To play toys?
  • The ball that rolled somewhere?
And probably a few others I haven't figured out yet. 'I want!' is clear, what is wanted is not. Poodle mind reader is not a skill I have mastered yet.

Annie dreadfully abused potty bells. I don't think I lasted a day.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use potty bells with Asta - when he was an adolescent he tried to use them to just go outside and play. As he has matured there is no false signals.
. If I knew from the start my dogs wouldn’t abuse the bells I would use them.

She comes and licks my hands/feet, pokes her nose at me, etc, maybe barks if I ignore her. It's really very clear that she wants something.

Unfortunately, I could write the same answer for a bunch of other questions, including:

How does your dog let you know she wants:
  • a walk?
  • More dog food?
  • To go upstairs to bed?
  • To go to the park?
  • To play toys?
  • The ball that rolled somewhere?
And probably a few others I haven't figured out yet. 'I want!' is clear, what is wanted is not. Poodle mind reader is not a skill I have mastered yet.

Annie dreadfully abused potty bells. I don't think I lasted a day.
Sounds like Annie needs those dog talking buttons. FluentPet. Haha but she does know how to get your attention.

Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Premium Member
6,961 Posts
I trained for the bells without success for quite a while, or so I thought.

As puppies, I missed their tells or beat them to it, but as adults we have:

ring the bells if the door is closed
sit at the open door and hope to be noticed
jump in a lap and frantically start to lick at a face if sitting at the door wasn't noticed

Ringing the bells hasn't ever really been abused. The early distinction between treating with performing vs no treat for making me get up or stop what I was doing and not performing seemed to help that.

Neo does use the bells as a ploy. Picture Remo ensconced on my lap, Neo eyeing this from across the room. Neo goes to the door and rings the bell. Remo jumps down. Neo rounds the corner of the loveseat and takes over the lap that he made Remo vacate!

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Neo does use the bells as a ploy. Picture Remo ensconced on my lap, Neo eyeing this from across the room. Neo goes to the door and rings the bell. Remo jumps down. Neo rounds the corner of the loveseat and takes over the lap that he made Remo vacate!
Haha, what a clever scamp that Neo is.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Noelle follows me into the bathroom. I kind of accidentally trained this by having Noelle tethered to me, so she followed me literally everywhere. After I went to the toilet, I took the puppy out. She made the connection. Now, she just shows up in the bathroom. That thing you are doing now I need to do, too. Silly, but true.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
We have a dog door to the approved potty area. Violet goes through it at about 100 miles an hour most of the time. She is reliably potty trained. However, she rather frequently comes in with a "dingleberry" that must be removed by a person. This isn't her fault, but isn't much fun for anyone. I keep baby wipes around for my dog- is that weird?

Navy is a putz. He will mark in the house infrequently. I think it is related to being cold, so I try to be on top of keeping a sweater on him for chilly days. I am extremely frustrated by this behavior, but here we are. He and the recently departed Spanky would have pee competitions which led to my living with a barrier dividing my house for many years in order to keep these two dogs separated. As much as I love male dogs, I'll never have another while I have Navy.

If we are out and about in the car, both Navy and Violet will make a small whimpering noise and be a bit squirmy if they need to go. Violet will look at me and then look towards the door. She's a pretty good communicator.

·
Premium Member
6,961 Posts
she rather frequently comes in with a "dingleberry" that must be removed by a person. This isn't her fault, but isn't much fun for anyone. I keep baby wipes around for my dog- is that weird?
My boys know the term Butt Check for those Poo on a String moments. Baby wipes are in my back pocket on walks, and by the back door lol.

Reactions: Skylar
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.