Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received Annie's ckc registration papers a few days ago. I finally looked at them today, and realized her registered name is different from the one I picked out. No worries, it's not that important to me, I told the breeder she coukd veto my chosen name, and the new name is a decent one that still includes her call name, but now I am curious how Canadian Kennel Club dog naming works.

My understanding was that the registered name is a unique name that includes the kennel, so that dogs can be uniquely identified by name at events. A Google and I see some discussion about making a list of three desired names so CKC can choose, as well as restricted names? I thought it was just so long as the breeder had never had a dog of that name, and the breeder liked it, you were good to go? What are the alternates for?

So my thoughts are either the breeder put my chosen name down and ckc chose an alternate because it didn't work for some reason or the breeder made a mistake and forgot about the chosen name.

Not important, definitely not important enough to make her breeder feel bad if she made a mistake, just super curious about the system now that I have thought about it. What makes an "ok" name for registering with ckc?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Didn’t know there was a naming system. I’m not familiar with CKC only AKC I know in AKC when breeders choose their puppy’s registered name as long as it’s not too long of a name AKC doesn’t care. You can name dogs the same name and no one cares my aunt’s yorkie when she looked up his pedigree 2 sires had the same exact name only difference was the birthday listed.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You don’t need to include a kennel name with ckc. That’s a breeder choice to require it or not. The reason you submit up to 3 is if the name you want matches someone else’s name exactly. It’s not as common when a breeder includes their kennel name to have matching names but since they don’t require a kennel name it can happen that a name matches.
Kennel names don’t have to be run through the ckc so if someone had the kennel name domino someone else may also have the kennel name domino and so you again could end up with a matching name despite having a kennel name.
So the breeder may have put your choice down as the first one but it matched an existing name. It also has to have only a certain amount of maximum letters (30 I think) so maybe there was an issue with that (long kennel names can really restrict your choices)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rayah - both names had the kennel name and my chosen name was shorter, so I'm leaning heavily towards an "oops" when filling the paperwork in (oh well). Both names work (and are appropriate to her personality, too, lol) so no big deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts