Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jake is making me laugh so much right now, I might actually pee a little!! :hahaha:

What do yours do??

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Well, i choose not to watch the Dog Whisperer, but when Ry sees or hears dogs on TV he will come roaring up to the TV snarling and barking!! Very funny, and he follows them around behind the TV too if they go off the side! I laugh all the time at it. Thankfully he has never jumped at the TV!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I LOVE the Dog Whisperer - Not only do I watch episodes on NatGeo TV, I have the first three seasons on DVD and will be getting season 4 pretty soon. I also watch Victoria Stillwell on "It's Me or the Dog" along with many other animal/dog programs. My dogs react differently depending on what types of dog noises are coming from the TV. If the barks are yappy and high pitched they tend to ignore them, but they'll perk up if it's a big dog bark and sometimes the tone of the bark will get their attention; but they do take notice. I watch enough different barking dog shows that I think they're finally realizing there really ISN'T another dog inside the big box in the corner of the living room! LOL!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mister will watch most shows with me, its too hilarious. He just freezes and stares at the tv! It can be a boring show like law and order or a show on animal planet, he'll watch with me regardless lol, not all the time tho.
I do especially like when other dogs are on the tv. if they bark he will cock his head from side to side trying to understand what they are saying or what it is lol. Never has he barked at the tv he just stares and cocks his head ha ha ha i love it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i watch it but don't agree with most of cesar's stuff.

Kiah hates him (my aussie) when he comes on the screen she growls at him. So far i've found her to be 100% with people she doesn't like :p

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Taffy will pop her head up every time she hears the dogs and look all around the room. It's pretty funny but I have to cut her some slack since we have surround sound and that is why she doesn't know where to look! LOL

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yep the surround sound get's Olie everytime. He will bark when he hears the dogs. LOVE Cesar BTW:)

The show Dogtown is the one that get's them worked up. Those dogs seem to bark a great deal or whinning because of the unfortunant issues they have been dealt from bad owners! :doh:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
i watch it but don't agree with most of cesar's stuff.
Just wondering why you even watch him if you don't agree with his program... Before I ever even knew who Cesar was, there were people on a horse forum I belonged to who were totally Anti-Cesar. They were incensed that he was so "rough and cruel and was sending dog training back 100 years"... (except for the fact that he never says he's a dog trainer!! He's a people trainer!) :)

Because he was making such a stir (and I had never even heard of the guy) I searched him out - funny how people are like that, huh?? :) I watched the first couple of episodes fully intending to despise him since a lot of people whose opinions I valued hated him so they must be right... right?? NOT!!! I am SOOOOOOOOO glad I found Cesar and I agree with pretty much everything I've heard him share... I'm so glad I decided to make up my own mind and didn't automatically discount him because others didn't like him.

Kiah hates him (my aussie) when he comes on the screen she growls at him. So far i've found her to be 100% with people she doesn't like :p
Wow, that's really unbelievable... I wonder if she's picking up on your emotions as you watch him? I don't think my dogs really care if there's a figure on the TV screen - they can't smell the person, sense the person's intentions, etc... so they don't really notice people on TV. The barking, on the other hand, DOES catch their attention most of the time!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
With as many dogs and owners cesar has helped I do not see how anyone can discredit his training methods. Never does he harm or hurt an animal in any way. He is always super calm and relaxed when he has to touch a dog in any way. Never have I seen him be rough or unfair to any dog.

I think when one person disagrees everyone follows along with them whether they know for sure this person is in the wrong or not.

I agree with positive reinforcement, I clicker train, and I still believe in cesars methods.
He isn't training dogs to perform tricks, this is completely different.

He helps dogs who have severe emotional issues that need addressing. He helps owners treat the dog in the correct way. In a positive rewarding way without babying and entitling them.
Working with these dogs in any other way would take years, lifetimes, and no body has that kind of time nowadays. Especially not when you can drop it off at the pound and pick out a new one so easily now.

Anyways....

My dogs don't pay attention. The only things my dogs pay attention to is doorbells and knocking on TV. Dogs don't sense humans, animals etc on the screen, they react to the noise.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My dogs and the cat would rather watch football than any dog programme. As to Cesar - I take things from his training that I feel comfortable with - energy and calmness, not letting the dogs get into the red zone with some behaviours (better distract at level 1) and his discipline of exercise, exercise -other things I leave alone. Just as I would from any trainer. I have to internalise and agree with methods before considering them.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I haven't watched TDW with Bella yet, but the other night Dh & I were watching a movie and there was some growling attack dog on it. She was napping at our feet and got all upset!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Grab the remote and change the channel.

Actually, none of the PooDells pay attention to what's on TV. The cats will watch any program with wildlife, even touching paw to screen at times.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dog Shows

Polar Bear just loves to watch the dog shows. He especially likes it when there is a white poodle to watch. He jumps off my lap and stands real close to the tv. He use to try to jump into or around the tv when he was younger. He is not really interested when there is a black poodle.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Wow ive actually never heard of anyone not liking cesar! I think he is an amazing trainer and i really like all that he does for dogs that would otherwise be put to sleep or continue to live horrible lives in fear.
He trains according to pack order and i think there is no better way. It doesnt matter how domesticated your dog is, they still understand pack mentality and it really helps with training if you use this.
I also believe in the exercise, exercise, exercise! A tired dog is a good dog! I believe that a dog should earn your affection...he should be listening and paying attention all the time. Mister is a very well behaved dog because i expect it. Yes he is a part of the family but he is also a dog and i am his leader so he obeys me....i hate how some dogs just walk all over their owners they think its cute or just because its a small dog that it cant be trained to listen to them. My 5 pound Chihuahua is the same way. She listens very well too.

Ugh that actually upset me more than it should but i just hate to see such a kind compassionate and intelligent trainer be disliked. True everyone is entitled to their opinion but i think its the witch hunt kind of thing....someone says they hate him and everyone jumps on the band wagon lol.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I feel the same way and I get really upset when I hear people talking down about him and his methods like he actually abuses dogs. I really should avoid any topics concerning him because there are always those out there that know better than someone else and even a man with over 20 years experience in dog behaviors. I think that just because his training isn't your cup of tea doesn't make him a bad trainer.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Well, personally, I love Caesar and his training methods. I have found that being around dogs as long as I have, most of his ideas are things I would use anyway, but some of his thinking is just ingenius!! KUDOS TO CAESAR!!

My dogs notice dogs barking, cats meowing and high pitched noises on TV (everyone's heads tilting to the left, then the right) and Holly goes batty if she hears ANYTHING that sounds like a puppy, but as for humans, no reaction whatsoever! Period! If I was watching agilty on TV, my first Whippet would race to the TV and slam his nose into the screen chasing the dogs in the "window" but even with him there was never a reaction to people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts