Poodle Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I use whatever the dogs response to best. I am old school and use correction collars, a lot of Cesar methods ( for dominate dogs). I do spank also ( but my own dogs only ) . I am getting into clicker training and using toys as the reward. Enzo has a high prey drive so its working out nicely.
IA! I use a bit of this and bit of that. I like Cesar's philosophy and I think NILIF is great. I use the choke chain (for walking) and I think it's great. However, most people don't know how to use them, that's where you get problems w/ it. If a dog doesn't need it, then there's no reason to use it either. Harley's pretty sensitive, but I think it's important that he know I'll correct him if I have too. (I personally don't spank, I use the chain collar or just tug at his regular collar. Telling him "no" has a major effect. He hates to hear that and probably prefer to be hit. He's very eager to please.) IMO a Rottweiler shouldn't think he has an option ,when you give a command. Harley is 110lbs of solid muscle, if he decided he had choice, it would impossible to physically control him. I repeat myself once (if there's a chance he didn't hear me) and then I correct. I can often tell him, "You heard me" and I get the desired response. Yesterday, I told him to sit. He looked at me but didn't sit. I made eye contact, said, "you heard me" and voila, he sat. He was just seeing if I would follow through. I don't use treats that often, I prefer praise. It should be enough for him to get a "good boy" and a pat on the head. Different dogs need different approaches. Some are more sensitive, some hold grudges, etc. I don't think there is a one size fits all training method.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.