Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, didn't mean to make my name so close to bluespoosmommy, but I hadn't lurked long enough to note it when i'd registered. ;) I'll still mostly lurk for info (and to show off my spoos) so it shouldn't get too confusing, lol.

I have one 2 yr old blue girl from a pup, my Pearl, & I am waiting eagerly for my 2nd to come home after her spay Wednesday from the pound (I think she may have a few more years on her than the 5 or 6 mentioned, but once she is in better condition, I hope she'll fatten up).

She was at the ac for almost a month, & a stray so matted they thought she was part bearded collie. her nails had grown into her paws.

I have a soft spot for my senior cats (and spoos) & we are all thrilled about her homecoming (it is a bit of a drive, & I hope not too uncomfortable for her).

She is good as gold, & can teach Pearl a thing or two about leash manners. She is a bit small & quite grizzled, but so loving & smart. Pearl looks so long in the snoot (as my kids call it, lol) compared to her, lol. Anyway, sorry for the kind of exhausted, not esp erudite post, but I wanted to intro myself & show off my new girl:

I hope she can keep up with my gazelle, she seems a bit stiff. :( But then, so do I.

PS I am thinking 'Bella' for her name, since Hayley is too close to my dd's name & she isn't esp used to it or anything. We'll see what she picks and what suits her. Bella was my poodle/cocker x 42 years ago, & I never met a dog I wanted to give the name to again.

Thanks! Sorry I'm so tired, hope I made sense! (Forgot my glasses too):wacko:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Welcome, congratulations on your new adoptee. I'm sure you're going to be head over heels in love. We can't wait to see lots of pictures!

·
Registered
752 Posts
She seems to be a sweetheart. I've been keeping an eye on Petfinder for a friend of mine who's looking for a spoo, and have often looked at her page. I'm so glad she's found a good home!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get to go pick her up in an hour! My head has been full of poodles all night (my bed as well, lol- the one I already have can do a lot of bed-fillling).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome! And I think Bella is a lovely name. ;)
Me too ;). (More importantly, so does she).

All is sleep here, two tired spoos that are in love, two small boys who've petted them to sleep, one naughty spoo that stole the entire box of liver treats (thankfully a small one). The cats weren't even fazed (noseys in greeting).

Bella is seriously underweight (about 9 lb says the vet, and my eyes and hands) so I'm looking for ways to fatten her up. Feeding Barking at the Moon Solid Gold, which she likes (they said she didn't eat much at ac). She has no worms.

I'd guess she's 7 or 8. She has been obviously bred before :( Poor little thing, if she was used up at a doodle ranch and left discarded to mat
and starve (not to mention she's a catalog of confirmation faults- who would breed any dog so far from the standard! She's absolutely an angel in temperament & smart as a whip, thankfully- what bad bybs did to my beloved Dalmatian breed- they're like neurotic spotted labs now compared to my first Spot- a perfect lady).

She is recovering nicely, but was a wee bit scared for the long drive. But once we got settled in, it's like she's always belonged here. And now each boy can hug a dog at once.

PS She is absolutely my shadow (hard with me needing to get up, but wanting her to rest!) She sits, has perfectly ladylike house manners, doesn't pull on leash... seamless integration here. We keep telling her and Pearl how much we love them both. And Pearl hasn't been a drop jealous, just thrilled (although she would like to play far more wildly, lol).

My dh needs to find the camera!:doh:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on Bella

Bella seems to be fattening up well, & was in good enough spirits last night to start chasing her tail in goofy excitement, like a cartoon dog, lol. She has confidence issues still; her tail is a bit low, she flinches at feet :bawling:, but with patience (and treats) she is becoming a happier dog.

I can't describe the delight of two wagging tails accompanying my every move! Two stretching, sighing dogs lying by the bed, two ecstatic faces going licky-licky when I walk in the door, two dogs companionably chewing bones on the grass. Adopting her has been wonderful & our whole family adores her (and vice versa).

(Oh, I'm waiting to bathe her till a week after her surgery, but I did give her face a shave. Her topknot is pretty ragged & I have a LOT to learn lurking in the Grooming subforum, learning to scissor it properly before she needs a pro grooming, etc. She is definitely not used to grooming- Pearl holds through anything, but Bella is frightened by the routine. I am hoping firm gentleness & familiarity will get her used to it.)

Rescuing her (with the aid of the wonderful folks at the Cookeville Animal Shelter, who dematted her & loved on her & picked her up at the vet post-spay for me since I was coming from out of town) has been altogether a privilege. What a noble, dignified, kind, GOOD dog.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats. on your new girl. I have a rescue mini that after 3 yrs still isn't comfortable with grooming so I keep him short so he's easy to maintain

1 - 16 of 16 Posts