Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that at dog shows they have a wicket to measure dogs with but how do you do it at home? I have tried to measure Cash by standing him against the wall, marking the spot and then measuring the distance between the floor and the spot on the wall. I don't think this has been very accurate for me as I measure him at 21", but we have a crate that says it is 23" tall and he doesn't fit in it. Without buying myself a wicket, do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I put our spoos up on the grooming table, and try to stand them as straight as possible. Then I take a rigid ruler and hold it flat against their wither/shoulder; parallel to the table top. Then I take my hubby's tape measure and measure from the top of the grooming table up to the ruler... I'm not sure how accurate that is, either, but that's how *I* do it!! :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I know that at dog shows they have a wicket to measure dogs with but how do you do it at home? I have tried to measure Cash by standing him against the wall, marking the spot and then measuring the distance between the floor and the spot on the wall. I don't think this has been very accurate for me as I measure him at 21", but we have a crate that says it is 23" tall and he doesn't fit in it. Without buying myself a wicket, do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Are you measuring him at the withers?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I put our spoos up on the grooming table, and try to stand them as straight as possible. Then I take a rigid ruler and hold it flat against their wither/shoulder; parallel to the table top. Then I take my hubby's tape measure and measure from the top of the grooming table up to the ruler... I'm not sure how accurate that is, either, but that's how *I* do it!! :)
I do the same thing, except with Flash on the floor. He's too tall to properly measure from my grooming table- I can barely reach his topline!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The other thing I do to get an accurate level is using something with a 90degree angle to it; a book or something, so one edge (eg the bottom of the book) is against the wall (so that the book is up & down not side to side) meaning the other angle of the book (ie the spine) is definitely level without having to ogle the angle! lol. Now, getting them standing straight right beside a wall isn't always so easy! lol!

Something like a walking stick, yard stick, strip of wood etc can work ok too, just something long, skinny-ish and straight to hold beside them. You can use a ruler or something along their withers to get the right height on the stick, but you can also ogle it fairly well too if it's just a stick against their shoulder.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help! I used a metal tape measure and he measures 24" at the withers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts