Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so we have everything clear I am not about to breed party's.

But I had a puppy buyer ask me about this and I had no idea so in the interest of trying to be more informed I thought I would ask here.

So if you only have solids how do you know who will produce partys. do you have to do a DNA test or what?

Sorry about the stupid questions I just have never given the party's any interest.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well Parti is just White Spotting, "Mismarks" are dogs who have minimal white trim i.e. on the chest or toes. If the dog carries the white marking gene and is bred to a dog with that same gene then the puppies will have white markings, how much and where depends on the parents.

There are certain dogs like Rudy Valentino XI that a lot of the Parti lines came from.

I am not sure DNA testing can show patterns, I have never looked into that.

So if you have a solid line and want to have Parti puppies you breed to a Parti, these dog will most likely be solid or mismarks and then bred back to Parti will have Parti. I think lol I'm still learning.

If you want to know if you dog carries Parti you can check the pedigree.

Does that help?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I did read this and I am no closer to understand how you get parti color dogs :S
Basically when you get mis marked poodles you can get parti's by breeding into that. If you keep dogs with more white on them and keep breeding for that you will start to get parties. ( some solid dogs are mismarked show dogs but dyed or have hidden spotting genes) When bred tightly a parti can result from this. Cbrand knows a sire who was AKC CH and produced a parti pup. He was solid. (forgot dogs name) This happened with the Vulcan line " VULCAN POLKA DOT" . A full parti was born out of two solids ( again hidden spotting genes)

Look at the Panda shepherd. These are purebred AKC GSD's this lady bred her mismarked gsd's for more white.

http://www.pandashepherds.com/ She would probably get more spots if she was breeding for it but she is breeding for a pattern with her GSD's.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Both dam and sire need to carry Parti genes for Partis to be produced. Really, though, I not sure there is actually a separate Parti gene. Whatever it is that causes Parti seems to just be a stronger concentration of the trait that causes mismarks. I have seen full Partis produced when a mismarked 1/2 brother and sister (out of a stud known to produce mis-marks) were bred together:

http://www.poodlepedigree.com/pedigree.asp?ID=111520

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I think I understand this a little better now.

And once again I am not about to produce parti's just curious.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
hmmm so it's sorta like the "sabino" gene in horses. It can go from as subtle as causing just funny white spots to a pinto color. you breed sabino horses to sabino to get more 'chrome " (white legs big white on the face etc)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts