Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It rarely snows here and rains alot so im trying to get ideas on activities i can do with Mister this winter.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
It's hard and I was going to ask this question too. We don't have dog parks and the ground is muddy and gross out in the field for him to run around. I guess we could take him on walks but it gets dark early and I cannot take him until my husband is home. Last night I let him and Mia out in the front to run and they did get some exercise that they needed just by playing together and chasing each other in the yard.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
We have snow; and plenty of it right now. We just put them out to run as usual and they love it!! But when mud season comes.....I'm at a loss so I hope I read some good ideas here too so I can be prepared in April when everything goes dark and muddy!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
We use tie outs if they are not fenced. You can move those as well if you find an open field to play catch. I don't walk w/out my BF either. not a fear from people but other dogs. But inside when its rainy we still do fetch and retrieve. Also you can do hide and seek:) training for treats is always fun.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My house is laid out in a straight line (living room, then kitchen, then my bedroom), so move the furniture to the edges, get Bailey to someplace safe and play fetch w/ Harley. Also going through some obedience seems to work really well. I also walk when I can, but it does get dark so early and it's cold and muddy right now.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
When you have enough land and lots of snow... well, this is how you give your dogs exercise. :)

[/IMG]

When summer come, it is hikes in the woods and on trails. Good for the dogs... good for us! And having the dogs retrieve is an excellent way to give them needed exercise.

You can always get a treadmill and let them get some exercise that way if need be. Especially if you have a lot of rain going on!

·
Registered
553 Posts
We live in a village so we walk Gorky at least once a day even when snow is falling. In summer we walk him twice a day. Also we let him run in the backyard and do interactive games with him outside. It definitely is good for us as well. We live near Ithaca, NY where there is a marvelous dog park and we take him at least twice a week. It really is a great experience seeing dogs unleased and we meet alot of people as well. If it is absolutely horrendous outside we do fetch activities and training for treats.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the best thing ever to help get our dogs exercise in terrible weather would be an inside dog park... They have indoor walking tracks for people... so it shouldn't be hard to have an indoor park/track for dogs...
Perfect spot if someone is interested is in the Pgh area.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
ok well i've only had the spoo 2 weeks so dog park (yeah for snow finally here- keeps em clean)

but we do flyball weekly- which Bernard will come do- though i'm worried abut his hips- so i don't think we'll ever RUN him- but it's good exercise

DOGGY DAYCARE my omg it's 30below i refuse to go to the park bck up. Unfortunatly no doggy day cares take intact dogs (for obvious reasons) after 7 months of age so my aussie pup- no more doggy day care for her *Sigh* and she's the one that could use it

tread mill is great too- i have in desperate times gone to a friends and borrowed theirs :)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Its been Cold here (6 degrees F), so outdoor time is limited to potty time. When it is warmer (high teens or 20's) we will go for walks (with his coat on) or play outside.
We have many doggy daycares in my area, but i coudnt get him there with my work hours. Also, he is too old i think and has back issues. Plus he likes dogs with manners, and most dogs there dont have them. Just wouldnt work for us.

I wish i had another dog to exercise him with! He wont play fetch unless i interact and chase him too. We like to play wresle inside, play hide and seek (hide a toy and make him find it), play fetch with obedience/chase thrown in. We sometimes go to friends houses with dogs to play with and burn off some energy.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
the best thing ever to help get our dogs exercise in terrible weather would be an inside dog park... They have indoor walking tracks for people... so it shouldn't be hard to have an indoor park/track for dogs...
Perfect spot if someone is interested is in the Pgh area.
I think I'm jealous. No such thing here!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hiking or playing frisbee in the snow. (Don't have a picture of Delilah yet, but I'll try to get the husband to take some.)

I was out with the girls the other day. Coming back, I thought, "Boy I'm cold."
I was wearing a fleece and a barn coat and it had been in the 30s when I had started out. Well when I got back to the car, the temp had dropped to 13 degrees. Too cold to be out without a real coat on!

Poodles could have cared less.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Towns with sidewalks help as usually you can walk on them and stay mostly clean.
Going to petsmart for an hour helps. If nothing else sign up for a training class, Helps majorly in the bonding and they always seem so tired the next day

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i have always said- i wish doggy day cares were open at night- with a drop in fee- i want to just go for an hour let my dog run around and play with others like i do at the dog park- but i want indoors i don't need a full day as i don't WANT to exhaust my dogs s they do flyball 1-2 times a week on top of it. but iwant someplace i can come home from work grab the dog- go hang out read a book while they play like i did with my kids when they were young *L*

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
There is an indoor dog park not too far from me, I have yet to check it out though. If I do, I'll make sure to post a review ;)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Hiking or playing frisbee in the snow. (Don't have a picture of Delilah yet, but I'll try to get the husband to take some.)

I was out with the girls the other day. Coming back, I thought, "Boy I'm cold."
I was wearing a fleece and a barn coat and it had been in the 30s when I had started out. Well when I got back to the car, the temp had dropped to 13 degrees. Too cold to be out without a real coat on!

Poodles could have cared less.
Whew! That's a little scary! Love the second pic you posted!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
My toy poodles are quite heavily coated on their legs so are troubled by snow balling on the hair and making it very difficult for them to walk. I have to judge the snow but when it is the dry stuff, I suit them up with long legged nylon overalls and let them run riot. They generally come in as dry as a bone and tired out. We also train at an indoor agility once a week and at a dance class every first and third Wednesday. Other than that it's a quick out the back door, pee and poo and back to the warm. We don't usually have bad snow here in England but something has gone wrong this year and our horses have not been out of the stables in a month. Here's to summer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
But how do you get rid of their snow boots?

When you have enough land and lots of snow... well, this is how you give your dogs exercise. :)

[/IMG]

When summer come, it is hikes in the woods and on trails. Good for the dogs... good for us! And having the dogs retrieve is an excellent way to give them needed exercise.

You can always get a treadmill and let them get some exercise that way if need be. Especially if you have a lot of rain going on!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts