Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

What form of exercise works best for you and your dog, and why? Fetch outside? Long walks? Training sessions?

I have found that London tires much more quickly during casual walks than she does while playing fetch. I wonder if walks are more mentally stimulating to her-- more sights, smells, etc., while fetch is almost a carefree, "mindless" past time she can do forever. Interesting to hear what works for everyone else! She is such a great dog.

Take care,
Rachel
www.templecitypoodles.ca

·
Registered
738 Posts
I bike with Evie, and Kona my previous poodle's breeder used to run her dogs with the four wheeler because she thought that poodles should run at least one mile daily. I agree that poodles need lots of physical activity to keep themselves out of trouble.

·
Registered
761 Posts
In summer we walk Normie each morning before breakfast. I take him down our street to the main road, then make our smoothies while my husband does the same walk with him. (It's the least steep hill.)

Pre-COVID, we all three walked in the park together. ; (

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Social interaction with people and dogs tires Misha out the best. We also do games, sniff-n-walks, and bike together.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Every day walks off the lead and retrieving. She loves the flirt pole, that really tires her out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
When I had Magnum the standard poodle I also had one daughter, five nephews and two girls I babysat. I didn't really need to walk him, but I needed the exercise. I walked him on leash to the edge of town, then released him. He was able to stalk pheasant and rabbits. I trained him to stop and wait for me. He trained himself to find a shady spot before lying down and waiting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts