Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I seriously do all this my self? Over the years I have read and seen people post information that do this them selves. I have always gone to a vet, but would love to save money. Where can I find info about this. If you think this a stupid thing to do then let me know as well. I just need to do soome research on it and get some opinions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Most feed stores or co-ops in your area carry vaccines. You can even get rabies shots but they will not stand up in court if you dog bites someone. The DHLPP shot is between 4 and 8 dollars in my area the rabies 4 dollars.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
hmmm... I'm going to look into this myself too! I know my breeder does all her own vaccinations on her dogs, I'm going to have a chat with her! No reason why we should pay the vet any more then we absolutely have to!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You'll have to check with your individual state regulations. Here in Iowa only a veterinarian can do Rabies vaccinations and you have to be a vet to purchase them. However, you can get your DHPPC vaccines at feed stores and such. At our clinic, we just require that clients keep their receipt and the little sticker that is on the bottle for proof of vaccinations. Just a couple things to keep in mind.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just took my Paulie in for his rabies-when the technician does it, it only cost me $10.00-so reasonable I thought.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Vet bills can add up pretty quickly but I like the thought of having that expert set of eyes checking my animals out every year when they go in for their vaccines. I had a cat that had an allergic reaction about the third or fourth year he was vaccinated, if he hadn't been at the vets he wouldn't have made it. The other thing is that it establishes a good relationship with the vet for those times when you really need them. I'm sure there are situations where taking this on yourself makes sense but I would talk to my vet and do it under his/her guidence.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Yep our co-op store sells all the shots you need, most the time I do
it myself, the vet around here will only give your dog the shot if you
actually had a check up performed first hand...money,money,money.

Mika will be going to the vet today to get a check up and Cash
an 8 in 1 vaccine (the time is due!)

As for actually vaccinating the animals, I've had a lot of
practice, I even had to administer an IV to Maddie everyday,
however she passed. You pull up the scruff of the neck and
give it there, it's not much pain for the dog, thats what the
vet told me.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The vet I take Ponki too has hours during the week where they only charge you for the vacc and the check up is free, but it's only for 2 hours on tues & thurs.
We usually take her to the county shelter for her rabies as they do it for a 1/4 of what the vet charges for a 3 year vaccine.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would want the vaccinations given by a vet for a couple reasons. For one, the vaccines are only a Part of the entire visit the dog needs. As someone mentioned, if a dog has a severe reaction to the vaccines and they crash, the dog will probably not live. Some states only a DVM can give the rabies vaccine, and that is the one required by law.

Also, your vet will do a complete physical exam, and should draw blood for a heartworm test (at least, we like to check other blood values too), and do a fecal check for internal parasites. Lots of people underestimate the importance of a physical exam. Also another point on vaccines. You vet can tell you according to your dogs lifestyle and the area you live in what vaccines he needs. Not every dog needs everything, and some dogs need more then others. I understand breeders doing it for puppies, but i think it is a bad idea to DIY vaccines.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The breeder (BYB) I got my Rottie from did their own vaccs and my boy ended up with parvo. Since then, I've learned a lot. Not all brands of vaccs are created equal, some brands stand behind their products, others don't. Some vaccs have to be handled a certain way (kept between certain temps), if not they are worthless. Even if you keep the vaccs at the right temp, how do you know the shipping company and store employees did? I only pay $13 for the actual vaccinations at the vet, the rest is for their annual exam, which they would need regardless. If you decide to go ahead with doing the vaccs yourself, make sure you do tons of research.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Walmart pharmacy carrys puppy shots. They're like $7 bucks and I always use them. For me its much easier to grab mine from the walmart pharmacy then to get them at the feed store. I personally only go to the vet for more serious things like an ear infection, rabies shot, wounds, etc.

My husband I started doing our own shots about 5 years ago. We never had any real training but have seen our vets do the same thing time after time. We just inject at the shoulder area on the outside (backside) of the neck. We make sure to massage and break up any potential clumps in the injection sight right after. Then we peel of the labels off the little bottles and stick them to a shot record pamplet, 3x5 card, or whatever Im keeping record on with the dates given. I usually go 2.5 to 3 weeks between shots.

I also forgot to mention, many people are worried about a vaccine reaction. Thats more common on the smaller breeds but still something to watch for. The thing is, when a dog has a serious reaction to the vaccine, it doesnt happen right that moment at the vets office. Usually that happens a few hours later when you've already left the vet. So either way, (doing it yourself or having the vet do it), if it does happen, you'll need to take your dog in then.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have to disagree with the fact that serious reactions dont happen right away. I work at a vet, and have seen my fair share of vaccine reactions. Alot do happen at home anyways, but they are mostly not the life threatening ones. They are mostly facial swelling, vomiting, or lethargy. We have had some that would of seriously died as their heart rate just dropped, or they had a major reaction and basically went into shock. I would not risk it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
We have also had dogs react right there in the exam room or even the waiting room when the client was paying and ready to leave. It happens.

BPP - I don't know what your clinic does, but we do vaccines on our puppies every four weeks (we try to do eight, twelve and sixteen weeks) and will do a rabies with the last DHPPC if the puppy is larger. If it is a small breed, we like to do the last DHPPC and the rabies a couple weeks apart to give their little bodies time between vaccines. Once dogs are adults, we then start a three year cycle - once yearly we have folks come in for an exam and one of their vaccines (we rotate through rabies, DHPP, and PC to avoid over vaccination). Some folks also add lyme, lepto, and/or bordetella to their schedules and, of course, we do heartworm checks. It's amazing the number of things that we have found on exams - severe glaucoma (the eye was about ready to go and the owner had no idea), ear infections, fleas, severe dental disease (this is a big one) and the list goes on. Most of the time the owner didn't even realize there was a problem.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
For our puppies, we generally do 8 and 12 weeks for distemper vaccines, then 16 weeks for rabies, and another distemper at time of spay/neuter (or around 6 months if they dont sputer. For yearly exams we give a 1 year rabies vaccine, and a 3 year distemper vaccine (for dogs and cats). We found that people dont come back if we give a 3 year rabies. We discuss lepto with clients that need it (like my dog), and give bordetella to the ones that need it for boarding. We generally dont give lymes as we have seen too many reactions. We do yearly heartworm testing, and it is actually included in our "wellness panels". Our wellness panels are a blood sample that we send out that gives us liver/kidney values, TP and BG (we have actually caught a lot of diabetics with this). We do it every year at a pretty good cost.
Yeah, i could go on forever on the importance of labwork and exams!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts