Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will soon get our girl who will be 6.5 months old. She is potty pad trained and also goes outside.

Currently we have a 14 month old. We had to work hard to fully potty train him (and we still keep a close eye). He is good in the crate for a good while (usually we only leave him a couple hours but has been 4-5 hours on occasion and no problem).

Trying to figure out how to handle kenneling when we go and have two. She will need her potty pad for a while until she is comfortable here and learns but we don’t realky want him to regress and pee on the pad if we put them in a large crate together with a potty pad.

I’m a bit unsure what’s the best way to handle. Would love advice!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh interesting! I didn’t think of that. So many people say a huge benefit of having two is that it’s easier to leave them alone because they have each other, but if they are in separate crates there’s not possible!

This is all so new to me. I finally just figured out one dog and now we will have two!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
In all honesty it's SO important for the dogs to have time separated from each other as the puppy grows for so many reasons. But the biggest thing is that you want each of them to not become so attached to each other that they get stressed when they're separated. What if one of the dogs needs to stay at the vet for some reason, not only do you need the dog left at home to not be freaking out, but you REALLY don't want the one at the vet (who is already in a stressful situation) to be freaking out of not being with the other dog.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
I had 2 crates for my toys for the first year and a half. After that, I started putting them together occasionnally but I still let them sleep each in their own crate, except for special occasions. My dogs get along exceptionnally well. It’s not something I did, it’s just how it is.

BUT, as Mysticrealm said, this is not to be taken lightly, as if a fight were to break in the crate serious damage would occur, due to the lack of space. You have to be really sure of your dogs, and test it while you are around before you take the plunge.

Also, you wouldn’t crate a puppy with an older dog, in case the puppy soils the crate and your older dog reverts back. And of course, never crate two intact opposite sex together. Or incompatible energies or temperaments.

In conclusion, put each dog in their own crate !

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
As said above I would never dream of putting two dogs in one crate. Dogs need their own peace and quiet when crated. It should be that dog's safe space. I would not even switch them back and forth if it weren't a huge emergency to do so for some reason. I travel with my poodles quite a bit and rather than taking one crate down and putting them both in one crate when packing out I put them both in my truck before taking the crates down. I can't imagine how ugly the outcome could be if a fight started in a crate and there was no escape.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Oh interesting! I didn’t think of that. So many people say a huge benefit of having two is that it’s easier to leave them alone because they have each other, but if they are in separate crates there’s not possible!

This is all so new to me. I finally just figured out one dog and now we will have two!
I think when people say that it's just a general statement and they are making the assumption both dogs are older and proven safe to be left alone with each other with the full run of the house. It's one of those thoughtless statements that we all are guilty of making that really don't apply to specific situations.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
You have gotten good advise. I have 4 dogs in my house and I have 3 crates. My chihuahua has a crate in my bedroom, he is elderly now and also has had disc surgery in the past, I was told his bones are extremely weak, so he is crated much of the time, he is also 16 but he does get his "time". Our cairn terrier, has her playpen with a crate inside it, doesn't need it anymore but insists that is where she wants to be at bedtime so I leave it up. Renn has his crate, if he is not at my side he goes in it. Not loving it anymore for the last 3 weeks but it is where he will sleep like it or not until he is trustworthy enough not to eat my house or injure himself on wires or such. Our boxer has free run of the house with the cairn during the day, at night he sleeps in his bed with pillow and blanket in my daughters room. It can get crazy when all 3 are free roaming and I usually put up the big ones when the chi is out. They all like their own space.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next question - when you crate them (separately), do you keep the crates away from each other? Next to each other? So they can or can’t hear/see each other?

Feeling like an idiot again, getting ready for two!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
In my case they are separate but mostly because of space limits. Chi is in another room, Renn and the terrier are both on opposite sides of kitchen, for me it is a matter of where they fit. I'd love to get rid of the playpen with crate but the terrier will have no part of it. When she goes out at night and comes in she jumps up n down not he playpen for you to pick her up and put her in. In the morning she will go out but wants back in until 9:3- then she wants out and if free until bedtime. She is like a clock. LOL Renn is just put in his because he hasn't earned his freedom yet. Eventually he will be loose like the boxer.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok similar / different question. What about putting them together in a super large expen or playpen? That’s actually what I was thinking about initiallly, which I realize is different from crating.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
No I still would not do that. X-pens are not a whole lot bigger and especially until well into adulthood when you know they get along well it's best to not confine them in to any space smaller than say a full room (and only once you know the puppy won't pester the adult and the adult has accepted the puppy and gets along with it well).
You could sometimes kennel them side by side but if they only are kenneled side by side and never kenneled separated you could still get too much dependency. So if you don't take the effort to kennel them 'alone' (say you take one dog with you to do something outside the house so the other is left at home alone) then I would do some time with them in separate rooms while the puppy is growing up just to be sure that they are not too dependent on the other

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
In Answer: You Don't!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
When Lily and Peeves were youngsters we had both crates in our bedroom, but not next to each other. If there were no covers over them they could see each other, but I don't think that mattered much to them. When they got a bit older but still needed crates when we weren't home we moved on crate to the living room to make it easier to get around in the bedroom.

And no to together in an expen either. It is more important that your dogs are bonded to you than to each other. I personally think the idea that dogs need dog friends is overrated anthropomorphism. Our dogs have relationships with each other, but at least for Lily and Javelin their first allegiance and primary relationships are to me, not to each other. They play with each other once a day and generally like each other well enough, but they don't sleep together and generally do a fair amount to avoid touching each other at all if they aren't playing, but both work very hard to make sure they are touching me when we are watching TV. Since we play sports together I need for each of them to view me as their main relationship figure.

And don't apologize for asking things. I always tell my students there are no stupid questions aside from those you don't actually ask.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is all so illuminating and helpful!

Ollie (who is 14 months old) sleeps with us. He's a wonderful sleeper. We are planning on keeping our new girl (6.5 months) in her soft kennel until she's ready to sleep with us also, but the breeder says she keeps her at the foot of her bed, in a soft kennel, and that she sleeps through the night without having to go outside to potty. I'm hoping that's all an easy transition.

Truth is I LOVE my little Ollie like nothing I ever expected. He is my heart's true love, so much so that my husband is a little jealous (because he too loves Ollie like no other, haha). We are hoping our new girl will be "his" but we know it's anyone's guess. He will be the one flying to pick her up (on the east coast) and he will be working from home for the entire week after we get her and be doing all the caregiving for her that week. So hoping everything goes smoothly and this works out the way we are hoping! Knowing that of course anything could happen.

Any other tips or tricks we should know going from one dog to two? We are all ears!!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Our littermate boys seem to prefer their condos for sleeping. We keep those in the bedroom, and they are side by side.

During the daytime, one or both of us were almost always home, so we crated separately, for breaks for them and us, and when we left the house. We also had gates, to keep them in the two rooms where we all spent most of our time, when home.

Somewhere around 8m they got full first floor access. By then we felt pretty sure of their housetraining and their behavior. As they grew up, their freedom increased and they've had whole house privileges since they were about a year old. I was happy to find an inexpensive camera and use that to peek in on them when we go out.

I've learned that when we're out they mostly sleep or look out the window and bark. Most of their play is when we're all together :)

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
The only time I put my two tpoos in the same crate is when I'm too lazy to put the 2nd crate in the car when I take them 3 miles down to the beach. Otherwise...no way. They could get in a squabble and sometimes they do for just a couple seconds but if they were in a crate together, it could become a serious situation. And no way when I'm gone...not safe.

That said, Somewhere on here are a few of my threads about raising two poodle puppies together at the same time. Those threads are quite detailed. They were 8 weeks old when I got them and they had an ex pen for certain times (nap time, when I couldn't watch them etc) during the day and each had his own crate for sleeping at night. The crates were right next to each other in the family room area. So they were somewhat together but had their own crate. And in the ex pen they were together. BUT....there were loads of times throughout the day (I'm retired) where one would be with me out and about in the car and one stayed home. They were hardly ever completely alone because I had 4 dogs. But we practiced alone time purposely at times. Each had his own walk and separate training sessions, play times with me etc. Sometimes one might be in his crate and the other near by in the ex pen. I never experienced crying or screaming at night because they had each other near by for solace. However, those separate times were very necessary and I was very conscious of giving them each their own time with me. Sometimes we'd walk together and sometimes separately. I do not believe that they need to be kept apart all the time and they should be allowed to form a good relationship with each other too...just not a dependent one.

Matisse was my show dog and there were times we'd go out of town for several days in a row to stay in hotels for the show while my ex would stay with the other dogs, including Maurice. (the other puppy) So he pretty much always had some kind of dog around. But I practiced taking away all the dogs and leaving him or Matisse alone for short times...like when on a walk.

Long story less long, they turned out to be fine, well adjusted...independent, happy adult dogs, (they'll be 6 in May) whether together or alone and there's zero separation anxiety. Oh, one might feel a little bummed if alone, but there's no drama. They are perfectly accepting. I don't use crates in the house anymore because I just don't want them to take up space. The dogs sleep on the couch now.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I realize that I will crate them separately. But I’m actually getting a bit nervous again about getting a second dog!

There are so many dynamics I never considered. Perhaps we should have stayed with just one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts